• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Here it is the show:-

11072788_1406624246322602_6878247337178994156_n.jpg
Is that a old pair of TDL speakers?or proac?

OP
Colin James Wonfor

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
The 50W shown on the left live in Curry Rival own by Paul Foster he designed the Stands and did the granite fronts on the amps. The speaker are Pro-Ac Studio ?? The Pre-Amp had remote control and the knob on balance and selector and volume were all motor driven it HT rail was +160DCV -160VDC, I never clip the MC stage ever.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
HT rail was +160DCV -160VDC, I never clip the MC stage ever
+- 160 volts??? Holy cow! Would have loved to see the power routing in that. Surely you did not rely on any PCB trace, did you?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The 50W shown on the left live in Curry Rival own by Paul Foster he designed the Stands and did the granite fronts on the amps. The speaker are Pro-Ac Studio ?? The Pre-Amp had remote control and the knob on balance and selector and volume were all motor driven it HT rail was +160DCV -160VDC, I never clip the MC stage ever.
Ah the amps just down the road from me, would be fun to go and listen..the grills give the speakers away as proac .

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Colin, I feel compelled to give you an honorary title of sorts. "Bad-ass Amp Designer" or the equiv. in British English. :D Seriously, let me know if you like a special title like I, Thomas and a few others have (the ribbons).

OP
Colin James Wonfor

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
Colin, I feel compelled to give you an honorary title of sorts. "Bad-ass Amp Designer" or the equiv. in British English. :D Seriously, let me know if you like a special title like I, Thomas and a few others have (the ribbons).

No title just Col will be fine. Or has my future wife (my ex-nurse) calls me Wonf, we get married next month then she will be called "Yes Dear" and I will be "Hey you" just give it time. :(

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That's a lot to wake up to after a nap...

I have a pair of used Plateau Bias Krells keeping me company. They idle at 100W for the watt or so they will output before upping the bias level.

I looked you up earlier and started the nap with the thought of 1500w idle dissipation - http://colinwonfor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/EW-2.jpg .

Oh, SECA = Single Ended Class A.

What's TOCA?

Here's another picture:

7898414060_ca8662e63a_o.jpg

fas42

Major Contributor
Fabulous stuff, Wonf! A little bit of madness in designing gear goes a long way - I've done bits of idle speculation over the years but never followed through on any of it; it's good to see someone who has pursued it all the way, created real product ... which does a good job, to top it off! :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Amirm, I am confused I have a msg that say this is not the site for my lack of skills, and I should go to a DIY site.
Mmm well I have 3 degrees a bit rusty and I have design loads of stuff.
So please forgive me if I have read these msg wrong but I seem not to be needed here.
Now to put thing a bit more clearly I am also very dyslexic, and I have had stroke which has left me only with my left side work well and I have had now two ticker ops, with mech bits added and ticker being the right word.
So have I read it wrong or right??
Colin, I have no idea who sent you that message but I'm very much enjoying reading your posts. A lot of it is over my head but this gives me an opportunity to learn. One of the main reasons I became a member of the site.
Please continue ------------------
And Thank You!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Colin James Wonfor

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
Colin, what are the popular MOSFETs for the output stage?
I like low gate capacitance low RdON, high current and the bigger the better PDs.
But the nice thing is this type of FET at low Voltage and low Vgs is common you can thank the Automobile electronics for that.

These for example work very well

IRFP4227PBF

Top Bottom