• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SEAS KingRo4y MK3 Kit

Valhalla

I was wondering what would it be if the subwoofer was located back of the cabinet like D&D 8C and there was a resistive port for the co-axial driver to tune even lower around 100hz and shape a cardioid polar pattern.
well.gif

Hon

I like the configuration of woofer plus coaxial mid-tweet, but don't see what justifies using a 10" subwoofer as a regular woofer. I do feel that the expenses (especially for the coax) go unpleasantly high for a DIY project that may have questionable resale or trade-in appeal later (of course, one might turn out to love the speaker for the next 30-50 years...). Have to admit also that I'd rather keep the electronics out of the box despite the appeal of all-in-one packaging. But, really, in the end it's sort of a hobby, and ya gotta do it the way ya like to do it (yurself).

oupee

This 10 "subwoofer is oversized and it's good. It only needs a smaller box volume and a 10" subwoofer. it will have a much smaller deflection at the same volume than a 6-8" speaker, which means less distortion and that's just the first glance. In addition, it is an active solution and can be cast there.

i am using google translator

Jukka

The L26ROY is a very versatile element. It's marketed for subwoofers, but it has good response very high (for a woofer). There is even a 2-way design with L26ROY and a CD+horn.

And for element sizes: a 8-10" makes a good midrange for CD+horn. I'd extend bass with a larger element and I would still need a sub for lowest 1-2 octaves. EQing bass is necessary for any speakers. Only the amount of it varies, mostly by the woofer size. Reflex ports and passive radiators are just one form of EQ in addition to crossover design.

OP
S

samysound

When I was contemplating this kit, I reached out to a southern california speaker cabinet maker (somewhat local to me) about having some custom cabinets made to the seas drawing. They were very nice to deal with. I never got past the quote as I went with genelecs instead.

https://www.jandfwood.com/about

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The L26ROY is a very versatile element. It's marketed for subwoofers, but it has good response very high (for a woofer). There is even a 2-way design with L26ROY and a CD+horn.

And for element sizes: a 8-10" makes a good midrange for CD+horn. I'd extend bass with a larger element and I would still need a sub for lowest 1-2 octaves. EQing bass is necessary for any speakers. Only the amount of it varies, mostly by the woofer size. Reflex ports and passive radiators are just one form of EQ in addition to crossover design.
Those Eighteen Sound horns make me want to DIY once I have some space.

gab

if you don't read Finnish google this: kaiutinrakennusohje-ref1-audiovideo-fin-referenssikaiutin/ and translate to English on top search hit

MackMack

Hi Bros, how about your speaker? Can you instruct me how to order SEAS KingRO4Y MkIII kit
There is no "Kit" to order you need to go to the seas website and follow the build instructions. The speaker drivers can be ordered from which ever site gives you the best deal or is the most convenient to your location, I used toutlehautparleur.com in France. The amplifiers can be ordered from diyclassd.com. The rest I sourced from my local hardware store and I took a week of work and built them.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I heard an earlier version at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest maybe five or six years ago. It was a good sounding speaker, but I was not blown away.

MackMack

I heard an earlier version at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest maybe five or six years ago. It was a good sounding speaker, but I was not blown away.
The only thing the earlier version of the speaker from 5 or 6 years ago had in common with the new version is the name so I don't think that's relevant, kind of like saying I don't like the new Porsche 911 because the the one I saw in the car park 5 years ago had ugly wheels.
I haven't said much about this speaker because I don't have much time to debate online about it but I will say this. It is the most impressive speaker I have ever heard for its size. It hits quick, hard and smooth as high as I can hear all the way down to 30hz, definitely no sub needed for music and shakes my whole house without any hint of distortion plus you can eq it to any curve so it sounds exactly like you want it to in any situation you put it in. Its a very good studio monitor just like it was designed to be.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not debating the subsequent iteration's superiority, simply stating what I heard in the Madisound room at GABF years ago. And you are talking about the acoustics of a hotel room. I am a big fan of SEAS drivers, and have a wonderful two-way monitor with some of their older drivers. All that matters is how you believe it sounds, and if you believe it is exceptional, than you have hit the nail on the head, which is great.

Diamondcat

There is no "Kit" to order you need to go to the seas website and follow the build instructions. The speaker drivers can be ordered from which ever site gives you the best deal or is the most convenient to your location, I used toutlehautparleur.com in France. The amplifiers can be ordered from diyclassd.com. The rest I sourced from my local hardware store and I took a week of work and built them.
Thanks Bros, so how much in total for this pair? It’s nice, I love this!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This statement in the Application Note & Assembly Guide has me very intrigued:
“For even more low end-output, the system can be made into a floor standing speaker by extending the subwoofer enclosure height with 50cm and adding two SEAS SL26R passive radiators. The subwoofer DSP-filters then needs to be recalculated.”

Martin

Gremlins

Hello all,
SEAS provide 3 presets, which are flat on axis, studio like. Are there any other presets available?

Would be good to have a bank of presets such as studio listening ( already available) , live listening, jazz like, blues like etc ..
I didn't any tutoriams how to learn HFD and make new crossovers for this kit

headshake

The fusion amps have a set of EQ filters for each preset. So you could just leave the presets as-is and apply EQ on top. You only get 3 presets. This really just works when the FAXXX master is hooked to a pc so you can turn the EQ on or off. The master will turn on/off the EQ for all of the other amps.

I use an EQ for a "late mode" that turns the bass down a bit. You will need to setup the EQ for all of the amps the same to make it work.

Gremlins

Yeah you right, didnt remind this eq screen. I could at first play with it to check what it does

Seas king roy mk3 advice it is nécessary to set a shelf lo at 200hz of +6db ( info available in the assembly guide)

I am not familiar with what means shelf lo, boost etc in the eq screen

headshake

I am not familiar with what means shelf lo, boost etc in the eq screen
Those are just filter types. Add one to an EQ and see what it does. Set a little boost or gain and the target frequency. If you had a live system, you would hit the upload button to save it. The copy is useful when you want to put your eq on other fusion amps.

Top Bottom