• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching for small desktop amp for Elac dbr62 <$300?

fafnir

Is there a better option than Icepower? I'm excited about my first step into hi-fi with the Elacs and just want to be sure that I pair it with a cheap amp that won't damage them until I can upgrade down the road.
- Average volume will be 75db at 3 feet.

OP
F

fafnir

This is excellent! Thanks so much for the suggestion, I would have completely missed that these are back in stock.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What bothers me a bit is that those little amps don't seem to have any certification of any kind.

By the way, only the 100 W version is available at the moment right?

OP
F

fafnir

That's true! 3e-Audio seems to have been vetted by the DIY community, and the manufacturer seems to be addressing that community by mentioning the op-amp upgrade option for the curious, but I don't know of any formal certifications. It might be worth taking a chance for the price and if it turns out to be a winner, it would be kind of like getting a WXA-50 for a fraction of the cost?

Last edited:

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's true! 3e-Audio seems to have been vetted by the DIY community, and the manufacturer seems to be addressing that community by mentioning the op-amp upgrade option for the curious, but I don't know of any formal certifications. I'm able to take a chance for the price and if it turns out to be a winner, I guess it would be kind of like getting a WXA-50 for a fraction of the cost?
Sorry to differ here but there is no magical (measuring well) small form factor amp below $150. Vetted by DIY doesn't mean anything bc there are plenty of Dayton and SMSL fans there too and they're both underpowered with poor SINAD. 3e seems to be respected in terms of more consistent build quality than other $75-150 amps. Even icepower costs $300 DIY at 100w 8 ohms with reasonable measurements and $200+ for 50w.

OP
F

fafnir

Great insight. It might be wiser to save up for an Audiophonics unit instead.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there something good at $150 ?
Unfortunately no at small form factor which is what I'm assuming is needed at 3 feet. Most starter level A/B amps like Yamaha 202 and Sony will perform much better at that cost but are large and inefficient.

Topping is working to release a small form factor one this year but I doubt that it will be at those prices based on hints dropped on this forum.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Last edited:

sgent

The Russound D250LS is available at Crutchfield for $250. Its probably bigger than tiny, but its 8 1/2" x 10" and 2 x 50 @ 8. Also open box for $200.

The Russound A2100 is 2 x 100w @ 8 and is specced at .1% distortion instead of .3%. Same size and priced at $300.

I don't know either of these amps, but Crutchfield is very reputable and has good service. I think they have a 60 day return period at least on new items.

Top Bottom