• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching for my cherry cake (dac)

Flyman

Hello guys.i am new here...i hope to have nice infos here.

Well i am searching for a good stuff.my budget is 2400e,but 2years now i can t find something good.

Well i have hegel h190 and c7es.i had ifi micro dsd and i sell it.i was looking for upgrade.until now i play with hegel's dac....not the best think in real world. I listen the hegel h30...real good but expensive.i also hear benchmark dac3....really good but i didn't like the musicality and the middle freq.i also like schiit but it isnot the best in low noise floor.

So be my guest to tell me some options in order to find something to my taste.
Ps:also i hope amirm will help me too!

Thanx in advance

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
search the forum. there is consolidated dac rating

Graph Feppar

I dont think there is anything wrong with wasting money to chase after that sweet sweet placebo, I like placebo myself but I feel the need to remind you that after the DAC output gets through your non-linear speakers and non-linear eardrum, its THD will be far below the audibility threshold and also I dont know what is your peak loudness and average background noise at the place you listen at but I bet that DAC noise would be also lower than background, below the audibility.

I would either get the bang for buck wonder called Khadas Tone Board which is like 100€ or get RME Adi DAC 2 for 1000€. Also very nice DAC for similiar money is Violectric V850, it have 5 selectable gain levels, no DSD, MQA cancer or stupid selectable filters. For 2000€ and up you have the Benchmark DAC3 and Chord have superb DACs too but cost alot.

If I had money, I would get RME Adi 2 DAC, if I was super rich I would get Chord DAVE. If I was me, that is a broke ass student, I get 99€ Fiio K3.

OP
F

Flyman

Well benchmark as i said doesn't have the involvimg feeling in midrange freq that usually we get in women's voices.

Graph Feppar

Well benchmark as i said doesn't have the involvimg feeling in midrange freq that usually we get in women's voices.

Usually from what... tube output stage dacs? R2R dacs? The Benchmark is for all practical purposes a perfect source, it does not add any audible distortion nor does it alter the frequency response or phase. If you miss something, it must be that you either like higher THD, the "warmth" of R2R/tube converters or enjoy placebo. There is nothing wrong with liking placebo, but it is what it is, very easy to spend tons of money chasing it.

OP
F

Flyman

What's a good info.

So am i looking for more distortion?.....i guy told me that if i like warthm then with eq it can be changed like i want...he advice me to not spend my money fiding warth but pace,detail and balance.

Last edited:

Graph Feppar

The problem with subjective terms like "warm" is that the word means different thing to different people. For me warm means audible even order harmonic distortion, mostly second harmonic, for others it might mean increased loudness in the low mid to bass region.

Pretty much all DACs have flat frequency response except at the extremes, the 40Hz to 15 KHz is always flat, I never saw DAC that isnt flat in this region. Becose of that my best guess is that you like audible distortion becose I cant think of any other reason why would someone dislike Benchmark DAC3.

That is very good advice regarding the EQ, the Windows APO is free and very powerfull advanced equalizer.
I suggest you conduct a blind listening test with quick A/B switching, be sure to match the levels.

OP
F

Flyman

Yes maybe i like distortion...i had before tube amp....that's why.
So that is your opinion?

To take or not the benchmark dac 3?do you think i would fix the sound with eq as like?

Graph Feppar

Do you use balanced or unbalanced DAC output? If I remember correctly, the Benchmark have poor performance from its unbalanced output.

I say get RME Adi 2 DAC, its about half the price of Benchmark and its almost the same when it comes to measurements.

OP
F

Flyman

you change my mind!!!

do you know a good power supply for it?!

why you suggest me to take rme adi 2 and not the benchmark?!because of the price?!

ps: a link for Windows APO to download plz.

Last edited:

Graph Feppar

You dont need no power supply for the DAC, it have its own internal power supply. The Benchmark is fine and if I was from USA, I would buy it over the German counterpart becose Murica funk yeeaaaah!

I like that Adi 2 DAC have built in EQ and two separate headphone amplifiers for normal and sensitive IEMs. I also like the display and the half price is just cherry on top. The Benchmark have crazy high output voltage, I have no idea why would anybody want more than 2V rms out of DAC but if you do, then the Benchmark is the voltage monster king.

Bro, with all due respect, it will take you like 5 seconds to figure out where to download APO if you try to google it yourself.

OP
F

Flyman

I make the search but i can't find it.so if you could send me the link it will be helpfull.

So you think both are the same?

Graph Feppar

What search engine do you use? Its second result from top when I put "windows apo" into google.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Yes I think they are very similiar, both are high performance high quality DACs from companies that have great reputation and make stuff for professionals. Both of these DACs are 100% snakeoil free and both have noise and distortion so low, it will never become audible.

OP
F

Flyman

Windows apo...not equalizer apo.thanx for the link

Thanx man....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
*Must* *Not* *Reply* *to* *zombie* *ALLDACSDO/DONOTSOUNDTHESAME* *thread*

1593379983194.png

Top Bottom