• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching for more efficient ways to spend my money: streamer DAC, DSP question

CheesyBaconStrip

Currently I have a 2 channel system with a stereo Topping DAC (d50s), dual mono Hypex amp(Audiophonics HPA-S250NC) and 2 klipsch speakers(RP-8000F).

I want to add one, ore two, DIY subwoofers in the mix, powered by another Hypex amp.

I want to have DSP functionality to suppress room modes and get the subs to overtake the speakers without being noticible.
I am hesitant to buy a standard DSP unit because I am afraid that the extra conversion will cost me sound quality.

So I want to prevent the following conversion:
(DAC) digital to analogue, (DSP) analogue to digital, apply DSP, digital to analogue.

Only way to get around that is to eliminate the Topping DAC and buy a 4-channel DSP unit that is also a source selector and streamer, and ofcourse a good DAC. I also want to have XLR outputs.

I already found the perfect product for my needs: the MiniDSP SHD.

Are there more product I can choose from?

I think the SHD is pretty expensive, this is preventing me too pull the trigger and buy
-2* Dayton Audio RSS315HFA-8 12"
-1* Audiophonics HPA-S500NC
-1* MiniDSP SHD

I dont 100% need it to be a streamer, i am happy to stream spotify to the TV or PC that can be connected to the DSP unit.

Any suggestions would be awesome, Also regarding the sub drivers or Hypex amp

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, an alternative to the SHD is the MiniDSP NanoDigi 2x8 -> two external DACs with XLR outs such as 2 x Schiit Modius or 2 x SMSL M300 MKII. The NanoDigi doesn't have streaming capabilities but as you said you could use your TV, PC or find something as simple as Chromecast Audio and connect to the MiniDSP.

OP
C

CheesyBaconStrip

I did not think about a fully digital DSP unit and leave the DAC conversion over to a standalone DAC, good recommedation!

The problem is that i need a USB input/SPDIF optical for my PC, and another SPDIF optical for my TV, i would like to have an analog input as well but that is not that important.
I see that the nanodigi only has an SPDIF RCA input;
My PC nor my TV has RCA SPDIF out, I dont think it will fit my needs, or is there a workaround?

I would love to retain the perk of having a system where i dont have to turn multiple devices on when i want to use it;
Right now i can just click play on spotify, this will start the cromecast on tv, this will start the DAC and the amplifier is always on.
I should investigate if this setup is going to disable this luxury for me.

I also think that i am making it hard for myself by wanting an all-XLR signal chain, easier to let this go.

With this in my mind i found the DDRC-24, is this a good solution to my needs?

DDRC-24 is nice, it has the inputs that i want, but outputs unbalanced RCA (which i am willing to accept)
Dirac live with Bass management is a plus, i heard good things about Dirac
I can still use bluetooth with my topping d50s into the DDRC-24 by RCA

Any thoughs about this?

Eetu

Forum Donor
The NanoDigi does have toslink (optical) though but I totally get the fewer boxes thinking.

Yes, the DDRC-24 should be great if you don't need balanced. If you feed it analog from the D50s there's still the unnecessary AD conversion though. So if you can live without the connectivity of the D50s you could sell it.

And re: amplification, are you aware there's multichannel options for Hypex as well? Nord has a 4 channel amp with 2 x NC502MP modules. You might lose some money selling your current amp but get more power in one enclosure in return.

OP
C

CheesyBaconStrip

The NanoDigi does have toslink (optical) though but I totally get the fewer boxes thinking.

Yes, the DDRC-24 should be great if you don't need balanced. If you feed it analog from the D50s there's still the unnecessary AD conversion though. So if you can live without the connectivity of the D50s you could sell it.

And re: amplification, are you aware there's multichannel options for Hypex as well? Nord has a 4 channel amp with 2 x NC502MP modules. You might lose some money selling your current amp but get more power in one enclosure in return.

Again, some good advice here.

For the digital inputs of the NanoDigi, I need multiple optical, or an optical + usb input for my TV and pc. So I can't really live with only 1 input.

I can live with an DSP unit that outputs analog, since I run short cables and don't really expect interference, I would still love to just get XLR to be sure.

I like the Bluetooth functionality of the d50s, since quality over Bluetooth is already minimal I don't think an extra conversion will matter. I will use the digital inputs of the DDRC-24 for the TV and PC if I go for the DDRC-24.

I was already aware of the offerings of Nordaudio, but I think i prefer Audiophonics, I like the design and the free adding of XLR/RCA inputs +12v trigger of the design of Audiophonics.
The 2*250 watt dual mono plus 2*500 watt stereo of Audiophonics is going to costs as much as the dual mono stereo design (2*nc502mp) if Nordaudio without XLR and 12vtrigger.

I can still return the Audiophonics amp since it's not delivered yet by the way.

Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
Yeah, for example this amp has 4 channels (2 x stereo NC502MP) with XLR + RCA and 12V trigger for ~1300€ + VAT. But the dual mono amps are a bit better spec-wise. Just wanted to mention that there's an 'all-in-one' amp option.

I agree, sometimes ease of use beats marginal gains in sound quality, feel free to keep the D50s if you like the usability.

One more thing, I'm under the impression that 2x4 HD is the same hardware as the DDRC-24, the only difference is Dirac. If you're a DIY person, maybe you would like to do the room correction manually with REW (+ rePhase)? And if you decide you'd like to try Dirac you can upgrade the software later (same end price). I've heard good things about Dirac as well and it's probably a lot easier to get good results with it. Again, just wanted to give an alternative.

You have a really nice setup coming together there, enjoy :)

OP
C

CheesyBaconStrip

Ok thanks for your advise, i think i know what is want now.

The only thing that rests is the decision between the DDRC-24 and the 2X4HD, i will figure that one out myself.

Thank you for helping me it was greatly appreciated.

AntonenweIngolmo

Hi! I'm in a very similar boat. I have a very receiver--a 2001 AV Receiver (Marantz SR8200). This does not have any HDMI inputs, so here is what I have done to my signal chain:
HDMI devices plug into an HDMI switch + audio extractor. The HDMI out from this switch feeds my projector. The optical audio out from the switch goes to my receiver. The receiver powers my 2.1 system.

However, recently I've made a couple of monoblocks, using Nelson Pass's design (the Amp Camp Amp project). So I have two monoblocks with XLR inputs. What I'm planning on doing is (on the audio side):
source --HDMI--> HDMI switch
HDMI switch --TOSLINK--> nanoDIGI
nanoDIGI --SPDIF--> some simple DAC --RCA--> powered sub
nanoDIGI --SPDIF--> SMSL SU-8 --XLR--> monoblocks --> speakers

I already have the SMSL SU-8, and I also have the monoblocks. The only things I'll have to buy to make this configuration work is the nanoDIGI and the cables. Do you think this might be a good system with what I have? I will be foregoing the receiver, but I'm okay with that since I don't really use it as a receiver, more as a power amp. One thing I will miss with this configuration is volume control--can I control the volume on a nanoDIGI 2x8?

Top Bottom