• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching for a DAP with strict requirements

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Hello,

I am currently rocking a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox, but it is slowly dying (jack desoldering and battery wear). I also have a Fuze+ in case of actual player death, but its touch interface is horrendous. So I'm searching for a new DAP with the following features:
* Physical buttons
* Vorbis or Opus playback
* Good replaygain support (i.e. album mode and reading of the peak value)
* Snappy OS and simple mass storage USB mode; no Android
* SD card slot
* No wi-fi connectivity and bluetooth that can be disabled (or no bluetooth at all)
* Small factor size
* "Good" battery life
* Album shuffle

As you can guess, the last requirement is the one missing from most players. Does anyone have an idea?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I am currently rocking a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox, but it is slowly dying (jack desoldering and battery wear). I also have a Fuze+ in case of actual player death, but its touch interface is horrendous. So I'm searching for a new DAP with the following features:
* Physical buttons
* SD card slot
* No wi-fi connectivity and bluetooth that can be disabled (or no bluetooth at all)
* Small factor size
* "Good" battery life
* Album shuffle

As you can guess, the last requirement is the one missing from most players. Does anyone have an idea?

I'm not sure if this check all your requirements, but I would take a look at the Cayin N3.

Nango

Major Contributor
Yes, it does, shuffle, hapless, repeat 1 and repeat all. You may also define playlists and shuffle thru. You may also choose an artist with X albums and shuffle thru.

mirceat

Shanling M0 could be added to the short list. ReplayGain has been promised, but not available, yet.
All the other requirements would be fulfilled, I guess.
Snappy and mature MTouch OS system developed by Shanling, OGG support, no wi-fi, BT can be disabled, SD slot, extremely small size 45 x 40 x 13.5 mm, 38g, 1.54 inch touch screen, rated to 15hrs battery life.
From the manual: Shuffle – M0 will play files from chosen Album/folder/playlist in random order. Files will be played only once.
More info at https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ransport-and-ess-sabre-es9218p-fw-3-0.874859/
Device and accessories available at audiophonics.fr.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Those all seem quite bad, but thanks anyway. It really looks like my current DAPs must not die (I still have a Fuze+ in store) because paying hundreds of dollars for something worse (weight, volume, battery life, proprietary OS) isn't something I can do.
What's really annoying is that all those big guys like Fiio all ignore our pleas for such a simple and important feature that all iPods had.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Shanling M0 could be added to the short list. ReplayGain has been promised, but not available, yet.
All the other requirements would be fulfilled, I guess.
Snappy and mature MTouch OS system developed by Shanling, OGG support, no wi-fi, BT can be disabled, SD slot, extremely small size 45 x 40 x 13.5 mm, 38g, 1.54 inch touch screen, rated to 15hrs battery life.
From the manual: Shuffle – M0 will play files from chosen Album/folder/playlist in random order. Files will be played only once.
More info at https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ransport-and-ess-sabre-es9218p-fw-3-0.874859/
Device and accessories available at audiophonics.fr.
I've looked at that device and I liked it a lot on paper, but it doesn't have album shuffle, right? By that, I mean "play a random album completely and in order when reaching the end of the current album".
The rest of the device is spot on, though. Small, long battery life and can be updated without an OS specific tool.

mirceat

Not sure about the answer, I'm not a regular user of the shuffle mode.
In my test, after playing an album in shuffle mode, the player skips to the next album in the folder. It's very likely your requirement could be fulfilled in some way. Best option would be to specifically ask on the above mentioned head-fi thread.

CerealKiller

Hello,

* Physical buttons
* SD card slot
* Small factor size
* "Good" battery life
* Album shuffle

I fell you....
Same Quest here.
What Will i do when my beloved clip+ says no More.

Im about to pull the trigger on the shanling M0 plus the accesories because it lacks "the clip"
IMG_20181212_191006.jpg

jluppi

Finally bought an Xduoo X3 II, since the Rockbox support should be good.
Does the Xduoo X3 II shuffle albums? It is also my favorite mode and they never bother to mention it in the descriptions.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Top Bottom