• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching for a 2.1 DSP/DAC/Preamp for Under $200

Jazz3006

Hey all,

I'm looking for just what the title says. Unfortunately, my google-foo has not been giving satisfactory results. More detailed requirements, in no particular order, are as follows:

• Desktop-sized
  • Good sound (Preferably tested by Amir, since I like measurements)
  • 2.1 output over RCA (I have an amp for the speakers and an amp for the sub already)
  • Room correction built-in (Work PC means no ability to install software)
  • Under $200
  • Preamp output (multiple devices used and Windows likes to randomly go 100% vol)
  • (Nice to have) Ability to add a touch screen interface and run standalone down the road
I am in no way afraid of DIY building and setup but would prefer something that, once running, is stable enough that I don't have to constantly fiddle with it.

I think the closest piece of hardware I have found for this is the Allo Piano found here: https://allo.com/sparky/piano-dac-2-1.html paired with an rPi, but I haven't figured out how to make it all play nice, since the Pi seems to be always set up as a streamer that can be connected to for music. I need a full time audio solution for all media consumption. I'm hoping you audio nerds (said with admiration) can help point me in the right direction here. :D

For reference, I am thinking about something like this combo with a Piano or similar attached to the back.
1626583541041.png

Thanks!

LApstrE

Minidsp 2x4 HD? The recommended Umik 1 might take it way out of budget, but you could potentially buy a dayton audio calibrated mic and keep the costs down?
Minidsp might work if you can loan a Windows, Mac or Linux machine for a day. Still may not work without specific USB drivers. Might be worth checking on specific minidsp threads in the forum.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jazz3006

Minidsp 2x4 HD? The recommended Umik 1 might take it way out of budget, but you could potentially buy a dayton audio calibrated mic and keep the costs down?
Minidsp might work if you can loan a Windows, Mac or Linux machine for a day. Still may not work without specific USB drivers. Might be worth checking on specific minidsp threads in the forum.
I actually already have a Umik-1, so that helps. I have my own machine to do any sort of programming/configuration/tweaking, I just can't install stuff on the work machine, like drivers, for day to day operations. Sorry for not making it clear that I am trying to do this on two machines earlier.. I thought I had mentioned it.

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
If you haven’t already solved this dilemma, may I humbly suggest you check out this thread I started.

TL;DR I came to the same conclusion as you - for a 2.1 DAC with some crossover control, there’s not much out there under $1k except the Piano 2.1 and the 2x4HD. The MiniDSP unit starts to get expensive if you add room correction firmware though, and you still need a computer of some sort to drive it.

My piano 2.1 is taking forever to arrive from Audiophonics, but happy to let you know how well it works once I get it. Currently happy with the Pi running moOde and a USB 2ch DAC.

Top Bottom