• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching an 2.1 amplifier with optical input for less than 150€

aldiaudio

Since my Onkyo TX-NR414 broke down, and I only need one HDMI in and output and 2.1 sound, I was thinking about a more unconventional setup:

Routing the HDMI Signal through an audio extractor, that gives me S/PDIF, which I then will feed into a small 2.1 amplifier. So the first question would be, if this has any quality downsides compared to buying an second hand AV receiver like Yamaha HTR-3068 or Denon AVR-X1000 ? I have two Teufel Ultima 20 and an active subwoofer from ELAC with adjustable cutoff frequency. The HDMI video signal is then traveling to a projector.

For the amplifier I searched a bit around and found a few ones and would like to ask you for your feedback. I am not audiophile, but nevertheless want a decent sound.

Fosi DA-2120A, Fosi DA-2120C and Fosi DA-2120D are all quite similar on the feature side

SMSL Q5 Pro got pretty bad reviews here in the forum. Could you explain me, what the problem of this device is and how this could affect me?

Aiyima D03 has good objective reviews here

And i think best (but a bit over my budget) is the Loxjie A30 for almost 200€

Could you help me with some fact and knowledge, which would be the best solution for me? Thank you in advance

Zek

Major Contributor
The Loxije A30 is not in the same category as the amplifiers mentioned above, because it is a class D amplifier with an added DAC.
The aforementioned amplifiers do not have a DAC in them, but the digital signal is fed directly to the power chip.

OP
A

aldiaudio

The Loxije A30 is not in the same category as the amplifiers mentioned above, because it is a class D amplifier with an added DAC.
The aforementioned amplifiers do not have a DAC in them, but the digital signal is fed directly to the power chip.
Thank you for your input. Since I am only using digital input, where does this make a difference for me?

EDIT: And the other amps also have analog output (the speakers), so they should also need an DAC? You mean because of the headphone jack?

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
where does this make a difference for me?
In principle, it is not important for you, but it is important how the individual elements are implemented in a certain device.

OP
A

aldiaudio

Since I could not decide, I made a small table. Feel free to comment and leave feedback.

For now my favourites are: Aiyima D03, Fosi DA 2120C and Loxjie A30

TimA

The Fosi Audio DA2120C does have a DAC ( CS8422) and USB/opt/coax inputs, as well as subwoofer out. And a bit more power, for what it is worth.
1663766994485.png

mvnchies

I am very happy with my Loxjie A30, it feels a lot higher quality made product than Aiyima which I returned to amazon.
optical sounds great, subwoofer output works very well with no problems and it looks a lot nicer on top of that :)
it has a remote control and digital volume controls.

depending on how much power you need, it could be great. I never went past 40% on the volume controller with different speakers, but I don't know the Teufel you are using.

Daniel7

Thank you for your input. Since I am only using digital input, where does this make a difference for me?

EDIT: And the other amps also have analog output (the speakers), so they should also need an DAC? You mean because of the headphone jack?

Looking for a new amp and these two posts confused me.

Don't all class D amps need a DAC in order to convert the digital amp's signal to analog output to the speakers?

Or, as aldiaudio asked, does this just have to do with the headphone jack?

I don't understand Zek's comment about other amps having a digital signal fed directly to the power chip, but the Loxjie A30 using a DAC.

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
Don't all class D amps need a DAC
In principle this is true, most amplifiers in class D are actually only analogue amplifiers and a DAC is needed for digital inputs.
I don't understand Zek's comment about other amps having a digital signal fed directly to the power chip, but the Loxjie A30 using a DAC.
However, there are power chips that can directly accept a digital signal and then there is no need for a DAC in front of such an amplifier (for example, Sabaj A30a, AIYIMA D03, ARILIC A50, etc.), which is not the case with the Loxjie A30, which has a DAC in it.

Daniel7

In principle this is true, most amplifiers in class D are actually only analogue amplifiers and a DAC is needed for digital inputs.

However, there are power chips that can directly accept a digital signal and then there is no need for a DAC in front of such an amplifier (for example, Sabaj A30a, AIYIMA D03, ARILIC A50, etc.), which is not the case with the Loxjie A30, which has a DAC in it.
I've been equating DACs, especially in the more budget price range, as indicating a poorer SQ result compared to a full digital path due to more processing, and a (perhaps flawed) idea of analog being a poorer quality signal that is more susceptible to noise and degradation. However, the test data on the Loxjie A30 seems quite good.

Is the implementation of the internal DAC on the A30 something that negates the higher noise characteristics that seem to be associated with analog inputs?

Put another way, how much of a performance hit does the A30 take compared to fully digital options?

Last edited:
Top Bottom