• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Search tool suggestion

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @amirm,

What a forum! Thank you :)

One suggestion: it seems that the search function is restricted to words of 4 letters or more. A lot of pieces of gear have names of 3 letters or less (for example, I just tried searching for RME ADI-2 DAC and got an error message). Would you consider revising this aspect of the search function to allow for 2 or 3 letter words? It would be especially useful when combined with the "search titles only" checkbox.

Cheers,
Andreas

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Andreas. Thanks for the kind words and contributions to the forum.

Yes, the four letter restriction is a serious problem. It plagues many forums because the underlying SQL engine doesn't like three letter searches/indices. There is a fix for it which is a dedicates search engine with phonetic spelling and such. Problem is, it requires a virtual private server which costs 10X of what I am paying for my current hosting. I think it is a crazy price like $200/month or some such cost.

Hopefully one day there will be enough donations and support from members to justify upgrading (or going with another provider at lower cost).

For now, the work-around is to do the searching outside of the forum. Just go to google and type in:
site:audiosciencereview.com RME ADI-2 DAC
Or whatever else you need.

Unfortunately google index can be incomplete and you get false results but it is much better than manual search. :)

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm, excellent idea and how annoying that it's not easier and cheaper for you to implement. Much appreciate your help :)

Top Bottom