• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sealing the port of only one speaker (stereo setup)

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
I'm hoping that this is a quick and simple question for someone to answer.

I have a far from optimal (!!) room layout: stereo only, no sub yet. 3mx3m room with the speakers wall mounted too high (1.6m) and angled down and also with the speakers very off-centre because of a door. Left speaker is close to a corner, the right speaker is almost in the middle of the wall. I can't change this for the foreseeable.

I'm waiting for my miniDSP Flex and microphone to arrive and I'll measure then and see what can be done. Meantime I was messing around with REW's room simulation feature and it suggests something that feels *wrong* to me ... but I don't have the experience to know for sure;

REW predicts the best (least bad) response by having a PORTED left speaker and a SEALED right speaker ... sounds crazy to me :) i.e. take the port bung out of the left one only. I'd never considered that sort of treatment.
At this stage (before I can actually measure) I'm just interested more than anything - is this a thing?

Thank for any thoughts and insight!

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

Yes, and I've done it. It works quite well.
Thanks! I wanted to get a sane opinion on this before I tried it ... to balance out the irrational noise in my head that would have stopped me hearing properly! Appreciated

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This might be a very amateurish way of reducing sub-bass volume without using EQ. It works though.

But if you don’t have subs and once you got the flex i would not recommend it because you’re robbing yourself of output at and above the tuning frequency of the port.

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

This might be a very amateurish way of reducing sub-bass volume without using EQ. It works though.

But if you don’t have subs and once you got the flex i would not recommend it because you’re robbing yourself of output at and above the tuning frequency of the port.
Absolutely! I plan to measure (with & without the plugs) and try to sort things out properly using EQ when the Flex arrives - this just surprised me. Thanks for the reply

Top Bottom