• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sealed or front ported speaker placement

TankTop

I had a weird idea but before I get too far into it, generally speaking is there a benefit for placing sealed or front ported speakers away from a wall? I know it matters for side walls, furniture and other objects near the speaker but aside from that if a speaker is sealed or front ported would there be a benefit or detriment to placing the speaker against or partially recessed into a wall?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Front ported yes - boundary gain near a back wall may be a bit less pronounced than for back-ported but it's still there, and it's not like the order of dropoff on the bottom end has changed. BR speakers designed to be flat in free air just aren't going to be flat near a wall.

Sealed is actually likely to benefit from some boundary gain. Level handling may suffer a bit too much altogether when floating in the middle of the room, as frequency response would tend to drop off fairly early.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
As long as you can EQ, the nearer to the wall, the better. Whatever the porting method, back porting just forces you to leave a few centimeters for the air to pass freely.

Top Bottom