• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SDAC + O2 a good budget choice?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
O2 is a great amp, but Atom is cheaper, more powerful and seems to measure even better than O2, so my vote goes to Atom.

If you can DIY a case for Khadas then it would be better than SDAC, if not...DAC-1 from MarchAudio could be a better choice. However, SDAC measures fine, so it’s really your choice here. :)

OP
D

dwang040

If you can DIY a case for Khadas then it would be better than SDAC, if not...DAC-1 from MarchAudio could be a better choice. However, SDAC measures fine, so it’s really your choice here. :)

Thanks for the input. I would do diy things like bottlehead crack and like you said, the khadas, however, I don't have the proper equipment for a diy project unfortunately. But if I ever do in the future, I'll keep the khadas in mind.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't actually need a DIY project, the bare board works fine. It's if you want a case for use.

OP
D

dwang040

You don't actually need a DIY project, the bare board works fine. It's if you want a case for use.
Ah, just looked on the website. I see now, misread what you typed and thought it was on those project where I'd have to solder stuff togheter.

DGVET

This is my re-post from another thread on DACs and gaming but since I think its relevant to the topic at hand I'll give my two cents.

I've been contemplating what kind of headset I was going to purchase for gaming and I do like to listen to audio files as well so I went with the
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?utm_source=linkshare&referer=WLDVZ3
Massdrop O2 + SDAC
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp?utm_source=linkshare&referer=WLDVZ3

I have to admit for me it was a great combination and I also decided on the new

Antlion Audio Wireless ModMic
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQF165L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the sound quality in Battlefield 5 and Call of Duty BO4 is intense I hear footsteps for days, and I'm sure there's a lot of recommendations out there but I carefully looked at other reviews and each one of these components had great reviews. listening to high-quality audio is ten times better than the experience I was getting with my Logitec G933 no comparison.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HD6xx is not really good for games. HD58x and AKG K7xx are much better.

OP
D

dwang040

HD6xx is not really good for games. HD58x and AKG K7xx are much better.

I'm personally just looking with a musical reason for the 6xx. I have gamed with them, but I prefer my iems for gaming.

jthj

I’m a bit new here as I’m just not getting into headphone audiophilia. Been into home theatre stuff for a while. A lot is definitely the same but there is also a lot I’m still learning.

I have the O2 + SDAC combo and I’m for the most part happy with it. I dont’ have any complaints with it’s ability to drive the HD6XX and I haven’t experienced channel imbalance. Though on the latter I hear that isn’t an issue with the integrated version vs the stack with separate units though I’m not sure why that would matter. However, as is noted in many reviews even 1x gain seems to much and if I get to 12 o clock it’s REALLY loud meaning I’m mostly at the 9 o clock or bellow which supposedly causes channel imbalance. Again, I’m not noticing that but I do want finer control of the volume. One thing I noticed I can do is set the volume on my output device (Either Mac, iPhone, or iPad) a tad lower and it seems to make a huge difference allowing me to use a lot more of the volume knob. I dont’ notice any degradation in the quality and I’ve tried this both in iTunes and Tidal. However, I want to know what is actually going on. Is the software re sampling (is that even the right word) the PCM to lower the volume. Or does it, through the USB Audio device standard, just adjust the output level on the DAC itself? If it’s latter I expect that shoudln’t have any negative effect? It sounds like the output on the SDAC is kind of strong but Amir didn’t seem to say that in his review of it.

For my 2nd listening location I’m thinking I’ll get an Atom (wish I had discovered it before ordering the O2+SDAC) and would need to pick a DAC. Or just wait for JDS to offer a combo or at least a matching stack..... So really just want to figure out if the SDAC output is the problem with my volume range at max volume output and if lowering it is basically fine to do.

D

Deleted member 12179

According to what I have found here in this forum, Khadas tone board, with aluminium or PVC case + JDS atom is the best end game you can get, apparently, best bang for the buck, best price/performance combo in the "low budget" sector. I would rather have a line out or pass through for the speakers, rather than a pre-amp that the atom offers... so waiting right now for topping A50 reviews and measuerements before buying the amp.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I have the O2 + SDAC combo and I’m for the most part happy with it. I dont’ have any complaints with it’s ability to drive the HD6XX and I haven’t experienced channel imbalance. Though on the latter I hear that isn’t an issue with the integrated version vs the stack with separate units though I’m not sure why that would matter.
I still own the ODAC and O2 (DIY) and I am happy with the sound. I really-really love the low-noise this headamp has on both 1X and 3.5X gain, even with >120dB/V sensitivity IEM's. In a well-conducted A/B and if there's no channel imbalance you won't notice any differences against more expensive equipment.

However, as is noted in many reviews even 1x gain seems to much and if I get to 12 o clock it’s REALLY loud meaning I’m mostly at the 9 o clock or bellow which supposedly causes channel imbalance. Again, I’m not noticing that but I do want finer control of the volume. One thing I noticed I can do is set the volume on my output device (Either Mac, iPhone, or iPad) a tad lower and it seems to make a huge difference allowing me to use a lot more of the volume knob. I dont’ notice any degradation in the quality and I’ve tried this both in iTunes and Tidal. However, I want to know what is actually going on. Is the software re sampling (is that even the right word) the PCM to lower the volume.
You should probably double check the gain resistors, just to be sure you do have the 1X gain on the low-gain setting. I was listening to very sensitive headphones with the O2 and on the 1X gain I could use the volume know to 11-12 o'clock without issues. However, audio internal stack works at 32-bits now, so there will be no audio loss if you use the OS volume control. Just don't forget to use Wasapi or Kernel Streaming under Windows, if available (for Mac or Linux you shouldn't be worried).

For my 2nd listening location I’m thinking I’ll get an Atom (wish I had discovered it before ordering the O2+SDAC) and would need to pick a DAC. Or just wait for JDS to offer a combo or at least a matching stack..... So really just want to figure out if the SDAC output is the problem with my volume range at max volume output and if lowering it is basically fine to do.
You're fine using the OS software volume control. If you really-really have a 2nd thought on this, then get a passive volume control like Schiit Sys or Nobsound from eBay (just check something with internal pictures and see if there's an ALPS pot inside and a decent wiring and plugs). Of course, Saga would be even better in terms of having more inputs and outputs and probably a better SINAD too.

Bob-23

O2 is a very good amp - clean sound, no noise at all. And, right, an input of 2V might indeed restrict the vol pot to the lower area - where all pots usually have more imbalances than in higher regions - depending on the gain settings of O2. Unity gain (1x) can btw easily be modelled. You can also use a simple attenuator adapter, if necessary.

Don't get fooled by numbers and hype - the atom and other most modernst amps do indeed measure better, but the point of no audible return has long been surpassed. Unless you have very golden ears and do the comparison with very open eyes you won't hear a difference.

The O2 is in a solid metal case, well shielded, not in a plastic box, as the atom. It uses proven op amps, one of which is probably developed for headamps particularly. And what do we know about longevity of these cheap items - nothing. And how about repairability? Negative report. O2 can easily be repaired. Keep it!

'Progress' has more than one dimension. And on some dimension it may be regress. Look at all that unrepairable throw away stuff of today.

Top Bottom