• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scratchy Noisy Pot on the JDS Atom

KR8NUX

So, my JDS Atom has a veryyyy noisy pot. Rotating it causes quite a bit of noise. Given that it is an analog pot (I believe), do you think I shouldn't worry too much or get and RMA ?
Has anyone else faced this on the Atom yet ?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
RMA, you can never know from one moment to the next how the intermittent resistance might be affecting your sound.
If you'd like to try a short cut work around, pick of a can of Worth Contact cleaner. Open the case and spray this into the rheostat while spinning the knob back and forth rapidly a couple dozen time. This cleaner is the best I've used over the years and may clear up the problem for you long term. Maybe not?
https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-P...e/Electronics/Contact-Cleaner-OL/p/0890101101

tired_guru

You should also check your DAC if there is no DC on its outputs. According to Atom's manual, because of DC coupled design you should use some DAC with no or a few mV DC max. Otherwise you may hear some nasty hump when changing GAIN or some noise when changing volume. Normally Atom is dead silence in both scenarios.

Just give a try another source and see what happens (like smartphone).

OP
K

KR8NUX

So I figured out what's happening.
If I rotate it with more pressure on the upper end and am using low impedance headphones, I can hear the scratchy noise. Rotating them evenly and carefully doesn't cause the problem.
? Probably because it has an analog potentiometer ?

tired_guru

So I figured out what's happening.
If I rotate it with more pressure on the upper end and am using low impedance headphones, I can hear the scratchy noise. Rotating them evenly and carefully doesn't cause the problem.
? Probably because it has an analog potentiometer ?

Looks like it's the pot itself in your unit. Just checked mine - dead silent. Maybe the axis is somehow bent or there is some oxidation. Shouldn't be like that. It is best to contact John directly. He's great guy to help and answers really fast.

OP
K

KR8NUX

Yeah I have talked to John already, hes ok with me sending it back and them taking a look, but its a lot of hassle from Singapore to and fro :(

tired_guru

Yeah I have talked to John already, hes ok with me sending it back and them taking a look, but its a lot of hassle from Singapore to and fro :(

It would be best to remove the pot, it's alps 15a. Maybe John can send it for free to avoid big costs and some local electronic guy can desolder old one and solder new for you. This can be time and cost saving solution for you if it bothers you. Or you can just ask John for exact details of the pot and buy it locally (should be about 5$), because there are other variants like 3b etc, resistance should be something from 10k-50k Ohms - there is no info about input impedance of the amp on their site so can't be sure (this is usually determined by the pot resistance).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Have you tired cleaning the pot like I recommended? Possible it got grease or flux in it during assembly and a quick clean would solve things the easy way.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Have you tired cleaning the pot like I recommended? Possible it got grease or flux in it during assembly and a quick clean would solve things the easy way.

It's a partially sealed Alps pot Sal. That said, you and I would fix it with some contact cleaner (Worth, Deoxit, Electrolube, CRC 2-26 etc). Certainly not worth sending the unit to another country- just remove, clean and/or replace it. This is by far the most common issue anyone will encounter with volume pots and decent contact cleaner solves the problem.

1549783753458.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Failing a spray cleaning, some exercise might clear it up.

Left, right, left, right... till you get tired or it quiets down.

tired_guru

Failing a spray cleaning, some exercise might clear it up.

Left, right, left, right... till you get tired or it quiets down.

Hmmmm but is it hearable in headphones or just as mechanical scraping around the pot ?? :)

I was thinking about the 2nd option all the time that's why the idea with bent axis. Quite crazy to have it dirty inside just off the shelf, especially partially sealed.

OP
K

KR8NUX

Yep I've ordered a couple of contact cleaners. Will open up and report the results.

Top Bottom