• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scratching my head - getting Apple music to HiFi

archerious

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm considering buying an iPod and connecting it via USB to a DAC as possible alternative to Qobuz, bypassing my Node.

BitPerfect_

You could pick up an older iPad (say a Gen 6) which can be had for $200-$300 and set it up as a dedicated streamer with the CCK. Uninstall all unnecessary apps and turn off all notifications. It makes a very nice streamer. I have one I’m using this way, hardwired to the RME:

Another option would be a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ropieee XL. You can reliably Airplay to the Raspberry Pi, though the controlling device does still need to be running, unlike with Roon or Spotify Connect.

Using the iPod with CCK will let you use the digital volume in AppleMusic or the volume is output at 100% and you'll have to adjust it using the DAC (if have the volume option) or the Pre-amp/Amp volume knob? Thanks,

Zensō

Major Contributor
Using the iPod with CCK will let you use the digital volume in AppleMusic or the volume is output at 100% and you'll have to adjust it using the DAC (if have the volume option) or the Pre-amp/Amp volume knob? Thanks,
With the CCK volume is locked at max on the device. If using Airplay volume remains controllable from the device.

Tom C

Major Contributor
With Sabaj D5 and Topping E30, the volume slider on my iPad is available (both DAC’s have a remote. The Sabaj has it’s own hardware volume knob, the Topping doesn’t). I also get the volume slider when connecting to JDS Atom, which has no volume control, and no remote.
When I hardwire connect to my car audio, the volume slider on iPhone isn’t available.

Tom C

Major Contributor
It cannot be done. You can use desktop or laptop macOS, but it’s only allowed on Apple products.
Well, maybe Hackintosh would work, but I don’t know anything about it. Not my thing.

bokolobs

If you set iOS Apple Music app volume to max while using the lightning to USB adapter to a DAC, is it bit-perfect?

Top Bottom