• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scientists and Engineers

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Nah, in this particular instance it is not due to progressivism, haven't talked to her since we broke up... but her mom is a colleague of my dad, so that's why I get updates! (but this is starting to derail from the thread topic, methinks)
But I thought the thread was about exploring / exposing stereotypes in amusing ways :D

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
But I thought the thread was about exploring / exposing stereotypes in amusing ways :D

Who is the scientist and who is the engineer in this story? I guess the cook is the engineer and the bird lecturer is the scientist.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

True. So in the name of stereotype-exploration, let me add that I have my moments of pure un-sciency impulsivity as well... I proposed to my fiancée only a few weeks after meeting her (by accidentally spilling coffee over her at a conference in France, and then turning red and trying unsuccesfully to speak French and say that I didn't mean to spill coffee over her). In hindsight that's probably the best decision I've ever made. So much for statistics, rationality and science-based forecasting.

Any relevance for audio? I guess I have some of the same approach in that domain. I tend to guide my general approach to audio through science and rationality. But if my ears tell me something rather unequivocally, in the end I still trust my ears.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
True. So in the name of stereotype-exploration, let me add that I have my moments of pure un-sciency impulsivity as well... I proposed to my fiancée only a few weeks after meeting her (by accidentally spilling coffee over her at a conference in France, and then turning red and trying unsuccesfully to speak French and say that I didn't mean to spill coffee over her). In hindsight that's probably the best decision I've ever made. So much for statistics, rationality and science-based forecasting.

Any relevance for audio? I guess I have some of the same approach in that domain. I tend to guide my general approach to audio through science and rationality. But if my ears tell me something rather unequivocally, in the end I still trust my ears.
Let’s come back to this in ten years :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
Where is she now , what happened , was there anyone else involved, where her parents nice ( often harder to leave than the GF ) ????

I’m invested in this story now I need to know more

Maybe she came out of this best. Science principles/practice and engineering principles/practice need to be separated from the egos - not always easy. Emotions skew thinking.

Psychological 'science', like economic 'science', is not science in the sense of specific predictable and repeatable results. They are better than unsupported opinions but unpredictable in many ways.

Graph Feppar

I disagree that engineers are close minded. Yes, vast majority of engineering done today is very close minded way but this is not becose engineers want it that way, its becose their employers want good results fast and want to spend minimum money possible on RND, material costs and construction.

Give engineer unlimited budget, unlimited time and no rules to follow and you will witness fantastic feats of human imagination.

101580109_1328668150674320_116570020913348608_n.jpg

765px-Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg
2560px-US_Navy_Sea_Shadow_stealth_craft.jpg
jqdgjuempvk51.jpg
5792275-ekra.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Have you ever been tempted to teach birds how to fly?

;)

C7yMwr5VsAAr0WL
I will tell you a anegdote.
One day a old sailer rushed in to Aristotel telling him how he got stuck in lifeless strange see. Aristotel trow him out telling him how that whose impossible as sees are the credle of life. What pore Aristotel didn't know however that it whose dead see which is dead because amount of salt in the water. I tried to think about what would be his reaction when seeing pinguin and the fact that he couldn't put it in the family of birds because birds do fly. He is a father of formal logic which we don't think about just act upon.
Every consistency based system will tend to be tight and closed hard to induct anything new.
Difference between scientists and engineer is mostly in craft - work and systematic use for the engineers while scientists will have wider opus and won't be tied with both direct usability or systematic use meaning that they will (even have to look) beyond boundaries in order to move them.

Last edited:

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe the biggest difference is that scientists work on company overhead, while engineers charge their time to a contract.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why are pple digging up threads that are well over 3yrs old??

Top Bottom