• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scientific Notation for Numbers?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
For fun, can the forum software support scientific notation? It could be an option in user preferences where instead of 328 views, replies or likes, you're shown 3.28 x 10^2.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The preferred method for indicating the location of the radix point in a number is to use a very long string of zeros. The more zeros a number has, the more significant it is, digit-wise. o_O

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The preferred method for indicating the location of the radix point in a number is to use a very long string of zeros. The more zeros a number has, the more significant it is, digit-wise. o_O
Does that mean we have to parse out significant vs insignificant postings???? :p

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question: At what size (both huge and tiny) does a number become more easily understandable in scientific notation? I'm pondering this question for myself. I bet it's different for different people.
I like it for seeing how many significant digits there are which is often 3 or 4 and the ability to scale up or down with other numbers easily.

kcc

For fun, can the forum software support scientific notation? It could be an option in user preferences where instead of 328 views, replies or likes, you're shown 3.28 x 10^2.

How about 101001000?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Brings to minds story: talking to a student, who had performed a calculation based on data with no better than two significant figures, and then gave an intermediate calculation to 9 significant figures—the full width of the calculator display, dutifully (and slowly, and confusingly) written down. I said, what does this mean?

He said, “We learned that intermediate calculations could use more significant figures.” My response, “okay, three. Maybe even four. But not nine.”

It wasn’t funny then, either. :)

But I am amused by the notation on the Klippel axes. These are labels of grid lines—exact numbers. Significant figures are not relevant. 10, 100, 10^3, 10^4 would be sufficient. I can understand Amir’s frustration.

Rick “calculator disease” Denney

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Brings to minds story: talking to a student, who had performed a calculation based on data with no better than two significant figures, and then gave an intermediate calculation to 9 significant figures—the full width of the calculator display, dutifully (and slowly, and confusingly) written down. I said, what does this mean?

For a while National put 9 digit numbers on their typical performance graphs.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what about engineering notation? groups of three

Tks

Major Contributor
Question: At what size (both huge and tiny) does a number become more easily understandable in scientific notation? I'm pondering this question for myself. I bet it's different for different people.

Personally, anywhere around 1 billion, to 10 million. After that, number, it becomes ridiculous. As for the low end, anything after three or four zero's after the decimal point, it becomes annoying (mostly because there's no comma to seperate the numbers cleanly).

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Are you joking?? Why on earth do yo want to see 3.28 x 10^2 instead of 328?
or maybe you are too used to the HP 41c calculator using 1 ENTER 2 ENTER + =2 instead of 1+1=2

Katji

Major Contributor
What we actually need is a decent BBCode package to handle superscript and subscript. It seems this is the default, peculiar not including that.

Top Bottom