• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
do you think you could've machined alignment grooves in the platter for the belt please?
Actually a round section belt is poor engineering practice anyway but it should definitely only have a groove in the pulley, never the wheel to remove the likelihood of scuffing due to a tiny amount of misalignment. Fitting a round section belt guarantees a degree of vibration due to scuffing anyway.

adlerburg

Actually a round section belt is poor engineering practice anyway but it should definitely only have a groove in the pulley, never the wheel to remove the likelihood of scuffing due to a tiny amount of misalignment. Fitting a round section belt guarantees a degree of vibration due to scuffing anyway.

Well, I understand what you're saying, and I've had good quality TTs with the grooves in the platter for the belt guide, and if there is a negative, it's far outweighed by the pro, IMHO.. VPI with guide grooves making the belt easier to get on, and I've never seen a downside. And as I said, this is a personal preference, and I'd bet I'm not alone in the universe on it.
plattergroove.JPG

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I understand what you're saying, and I've had good quality TTs with the grooves in the platter for the belt guide, and if there is a negative, it's far outweighed by the pro, IMHO.. VPI with guide grooves making the belt easier to get on, and I've never seen a downside. And as I said, this is a personal preference, and I'd bet I'm not alone in the universe on it.
Maybe you haven't but I can assure you it is poor engineering, so you may think it is a "good quality TT" but you are wrong. It is cheapskate with good marketing (by charging a lot). Whenever I see a TT with a round belt I know the designer isn't a very good engineer and wonder how many other bits of poor engineering are also there under the skin.
It is obviously something they get away with, and save lots of money ( a flat belt and proper pulley are probably at least 10x more expensive to make) but W&F and probably noise won't be as good as they could be.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Maybe you haven't but I can assure you it is poor engineering, so you may think it is a "good quality TT" but you are wrong. It is cheapskate with good marketing (by charging a lot). Whenever I see a TT with a round belt I know the designer isn't a very good engineer and wonder how many other bits of poor engineering are also there under the skin.
It is obviously something they get away with, and save lots of money ( a flat belt and proper pulley are probably at least 10x more expensive to make) but W&F and probably noise won't be as good as they could be.
I didn't realise that a flat belt costs that much more. Thanks for that info.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There appear to be a lot of statements here regarding anti-skate. It has been studied extensively and summarised in an excellent article available on VE by Klaus R in 2009. I recommend a read of that document, which I also found here:

http://brujic.gradjevinans.net/HiFi/ve_skating_force_and_antiskating.pdf

There is one person I know that made a swivel, hinged-type of headshell/cartridge at VE to test skate/antiskate setting effects and the conclusion was that the blank surface test was good. This was the same test made by Kogen in 1967, as mentioned in the report above. True is that friction (e.g. stylus polish and vinyl quality dependent) and VTF are related to the skate force, and testing skate force using very highly modulated grooves are not representative of an average music groove. Settings could be anything between a blank surface and a test groove.

The unipivot principle has some advantages due to low friction but its tendency to wobble needs stabilisation solutions. I use the Moerch UP-4 and it is damped with a 600 000 cst silicon oil, all according to Moerchs recommendation. I have tested it undamped and although it visibly is stable during play, it does contribute to significant distortion on test records due to off-center center holes. Damping mitigates this effect and no distortion can be heard.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that this Schiitt is a manual, and given that it might be for entry level turntable fans, I came across an item that I thought was long gone, but is currently in production. The Audio Technical Safety Raiser. I remember these, and others like it, from back in the day. For a manual turntable it is probably something to consider. Even if you are not a noob. I may buy one and try it. I'm a sucker for gadgets. I saw a U Toob video where it was fitted to the new Technics... barely. It won't work if you use the KAB damper. But if you have 14mm (about half an inch) between the platter and the arm base, it ought to work.

AT also used to make a wand brush that tracked the record, like the old Dust Bug. But I don't see that in their catalog. Not sure if anyone is still making those.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/398e4995e9bfe926/index.html

https://blog.audio-technica.com/aud...tomatically-lift-the-tonearm-on-my-turntable/

a-t-featured-image-at6006r.png

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Given that this Schiitt is a manual, and given that it might be for entry level turntable fans, I came across an item that I thought was long gone, but is currently in production. The Audio Technical Safety Raiser. I remember these, and others like it, from back in the day. For a manual turntable it is probably something to consider. Even if you are not a noob. I may buy one and try it. I'm a sucker for gadgets. I saw a U Toob video where it was fitted to the new Technics... barely. It won't work if you use the KAB damper. But if you have 14mm (about half an inch) between the platter and the arm base, it ought to work.

AT also used to make a wand brush that tracked the record, like the old Dust Bug. But I don't see that in their catalog. Not sure if anyone is still making those.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/accessories/398e4995e9bfe926/index.html

https://blog.audio-technica.com/aud...tomatically-lift-the-tonearm-on-my-turntable/

View attachment 33213
This might work well but $129? Really? I seem to remember a really simple device that did this and would be easy to replicate. I'll come back if I can find it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This might work well but $129? Really? I seem to remember a really simple device that did this and would be easy to replicate.

Just pick up a wrecked old TT from a flea market or recylers and pull off the damped lifter mechanism.

Grattle

Every time I read the bullshit bias against Schiit here, it strikes me as group-think. SBAF tends to like Schiit, you people hate SBAF, and through transference, most of you hate Schiit. Get over it already. I bet Topping has many more product issues than Schiit. You are all just blind to them.

Stop acting like children. You people are supposed to be “Objectivists”. Put up or shut up. Your Schiit hate is getting boring. Schiit makes some pretty good stuff at decent prices. Life is too short for this hatred.

Tool says it best in The Grudge:

Give away the stone
Let the oceans take and trans mutate this cold and fated anchor
Give away the stone
Let the waters kiss and trans mutate these leaden grudges into gold
Let go

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Every time I read the bullshit bias against Schiit here, it strikes me as group-think. SBAF tends to like Schiit, you people hate SBAF, and through transference, most of you hate Schiit. Get over it already. I bet Topping has many more product issues than Schiit. You are all just blind to them.

Stop acting like children. You people are supposed to be “Objectivists”. Put up or shut up. Your Schiit hate is getting boring. Schiit makes some pretty good stuff at decent prices. Life is too short for this hatred.

Give away the stone
Give away the stone
Let go
Data would be nice.

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor

Give away the stone
Give away the stone
Let go
Schiit has some really nice things going for it. They've got what appears to be almost all metal parts and what looks like a nice high quality look to it.
sol%20main%201920.jpg

I mean look at it! Now does that translate to anything meaningful in terms of use and sound? I have no clue. I am intimidated by the setup aspect.

I do know that nobody except the person that posted he did has listened to it. I've seen people get very fixated on very trivial things in such a way that if something doesn't meet a very specific standard that it's complete trash compared to something that does.
So I've not written off this turntable.

Having said that the other TT's that people have pointed me towards seems like it would be more up my street experience-wise plus the switch and the thumping almost sounds like a deal breaker for me.

I try to keep an open mind towards Schit. I focus on real world use and subjective impressions. The products of theirs I've heard so far have ranged from sounding extremely good to good but not enough to make me switch

Either way I don't hear any serious deficiencies that would make me pause - though I admit there clearly have been some found. Their products are reasonably priced for me. I like their personality. I like the looks, I like the build, and I like that they try to do something different. I am too bored by all these clones and companies doing the same old thing. Topping is a good example. There's just no point for me. I've seen it already. Saber DAC, XLR's, headphone output. The only difference is that it's cheaper. Been there, done that. Schitt is interesting.

Having said that .... I think Schiit's new and improved USB flavor of the month is pointless.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
but W&F and probably noise won't be as good as they could be.

But that's OK because they probably don't have the test gear, test records or a Rumpel Messkoppler to measure it. Just make up some numbers knowing nobody will test it... ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Give away the stone
Give away the stone
Let go

It would be easier if their products weren't so consistently, predictably, needlessly Schiitty.

Not a group hate, just recognition of a pattern of mediocrity being celebrated.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
20 years ago, who'd have thought there'd be so many TTs on the market in 2019? Not just the odd survivor but many manufacturers offering a variety of designs over a huge price range.

At high prices.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
20 years ago, who'd have thought there'd be so many TTs on the market in 2019? Not just the odd survivor but many manufacturers offering a variety of designs over a huge price range.

The missing piece is a moderate priced TT with either no arm or an easily replaceable arm. Almost everything I've seen where I can drop in the arm of my choice is stunningly expensive.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Give away the stone
Give away the stone
Let go

Isn't that the problem?

Amir has pointed out that some Schiit products don't perform well.
He has identified serious safety issues in some products on account of ineffective casework earthing.
Members have identified issues with this turntable at the same time as others have said they like it.
Some Schiit products have been measured by Amir and commended as good products by Amir.
Topping products have often displayed exemplary measured performance at low prices.

All of that is objective and pretty much evidence based but is presented by some as an anti-Schiit crusade.

Certainly if I compare Amir's pretty balanced and objective approach to testing with the "shoot the messenger" approach of Schiit when certain issues are highlighted it would not be Amir who I'd criticise.

Top Bottom