• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
If you're being sincere, then the Sol is really really not for you.

Start with something like a Rega, Pro-Ject, Audio Technica, or Technics with manual operation and alignment, but fixed bearing tonearm, easy leveling, and and easy alignment, first.

My TT (Michell Gyro SE) is one of the tweakiest you can get, with 3 suspension towers to tune, weighted arm boards that balance on each side, lead weights under the chassis to balance, spring tension and 'bounce' to adjust, two arm potential, and just about any 9" arm, with any alignment you could want......and I'm not sure I'd like to deal with the delicacy of the Sol.

Unless, like the ad says, it was for pure 'hobbyist' reasons, not as a reliable listening device.
Yeah I hear you. A Pro-ject or VPI is probably more my speed. Who knows, in the future my mind may change and make me want to figure out all the intricacies to consider Schiit. More likely, I have a friend that I can pay to setup. He knows his way around a turntable very well.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah I hear you. A Pro-ject or VPI is probably more my speed. Who knows, in the future my mind may change and make me want to figure out all the intricacies to consider Schiit. More likely, I have a friend that I can pay to setup. He knows his way around a turntable very well.

Can I ask why you want a different TT from the one you have now?

If it's working, and you've never changed the cart, you have a lot of room to learn and experiment with what you already have.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Not with the standard Michell-made available arm boards, but maybe with a custom one. The hole in the chassis is probably big enough, but you'd have to worry about the balance being thrown out of whack.

With the Michell-made arm boards, they're all designed so that arm + arm board = 1 kg.
Thanks. Just wondered how much flexibility there is, given the different arm boards, etc.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Pay? Surely a friend would be happy to do it for free, or maybe a beer?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I've just looked up the PL-570 (is that the right model?). <http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PL-570.html> Looks much better than entry level!

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
I've just looked up the PL-570 (is that the right model?). <http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PL-570.html> Looks much better than entry level!
Not that one. This one $5
6ba5b5fe-dbb2-40e4-96b3-0392b08eb7a6.jpg

I don't know what tone arms. I think it's like this. Not sure if he does it anymore.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=45000

Twitch54

The whole thing looks very Rube Goldberg for $799.

I don't get it, personally.

For $500, you can get a plug n play TT that has electronic speed regulation, amongst other features.

For $1500-$2000, you can get a proper 'power user' table with replaceable tonearm.

It seems like for $799, you're getting something that is neither fish nor fowl. It's not as easy to use as a $500 TT, nor as upgradeable as a $1500+ TT.

Seems more like a toy, or as they say, a 'hobbyist' turntable.

This, I'm not impressed ............

Twitch54

I'm always hesitate to suggest newbies go big budget on a TT until they get a vinyl collection of a certain size.

agreed, again and with that being said if I were starting from scratch, I wouldn't. But since I've been spinning 'black pizza' for over 50 years and have accumulated a modest collection (1500 plus or minus) I still enjoy the ritual.

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
Plenty.

But how many LPs do you own?

I'm always hesitate to suggest newbies go big budget on a TT until they get a vinyl collection of a certain size.
It’s a casual collection about 40-50

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
Are you likely to get many more? Are there cheap sources near you, such as charity shops?
Yes to both but slowly. Most of my records are from bargain bin shops think 50cents to a couple of bucks price range. Luckily nobody in my town seems to want classical vinyl so I get some quite nice recordings for very little. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. I have patience to wait for the right time for a great purchase.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes to both but slowly. Most of my records are from bargain bin shops think 50cents to a couple of bucks price range. Luckily nobody in my town seems to want classical vinyl so I get some quite nice recordings for very little. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. I have patience to wait for the right time for a great purchase.
Very sensible IMO. In your situation I'd look out for a good used Rega P2 or P3 (these were originally called Planar 2 and 3, then P2 and P3 for a while, and have now reverted to the original names). Simple but surprisingly effective design (no subchassis) and minimal setup. If you want something more tweaky, there are many options going back to the early days of stereo LP!

Very sensible IMO. In your situation I'd look out for a good used Rega P2 or P3 (these were originally called Planar 2 and 3, then P2 and P3 for a while, and have now reverted to the original names). Simple but surprisingly effective design (no subchassis) and minimal setup. If you want something more tweaky, there are many options going back to the early days of stereo LP!
Another option at a fairly reasonable price is the Mobile Fidelity StudioDeck. It's relatively new to the market, so you aren't likely to find one used at a discount, but if you are willing to buy new, it has audiophile appeal. Unlike Regas, it has an easy to adjust VTA (for the tweakers out there), but if you don't want to tweak, you can also get it with an installed cartridge, in which case it is essentially a turnkey solution.

Top Bottom