• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I started in the business pretty well all synchronous motor tables assumed the mains frequency was stable enough to be used as a reference. Generally, it is IMHO.

I suspect mains frequency is still adequate for turntables but when I worked in electricity generation there was a noticeable change in grid frequency stability and issues with harmonics in the distribution system from much greater use of solid state frequency control and changes in the generation mix.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect mains frequency is still adequate for turntables but when I worked in electricity generation there was a noticeable change in grid frequency stability and issues with harmonics in the distribution system from much greater use of solid state frequency control and changes in the generation mix.
Some info on the base frequency in the UK.
https://gridwatch.co.uk/frequency

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I started in the business pretty well all synchronous motor tables assumed the mains frequency was stable enough to be used as a reference. Generally, it is IMHO.
Even the basic Linn LP12 had a synchronous motor for a very long time. Don't know how it is today (EDIT: it is, the Majic PS still requires a pully to change the speed)

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
There are a bunch of plug-n-play TT systems for which that is true, many of which use Ortofon or AT MM carts, which gives a wider selection (at better prices) than Rega...who just OEM carts from others, anyway.

Are we talking about p-mount cartridges and arms? I'm not familiar with any of those. Or are there other arms and other cartridges with 3 mounting holes like the Regas?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The whole thing looks very Rube Goldberg for $799.

I don't get it, personally.

For $500, you can get a plug n play TT that has electronic speed regulation, amongst other features.

For $1500-$2000, you can get a proper 'power user' table with replaceable tonearm.

It seems like for $799, you're getting something that is neither fish nor fowl. It's not as easy to use as a $500 TT, nor as upgradeable as a $1500+ TT.

Seems more like a toy, or as they say, a 'hobbyist' turntable.

It's not making me want to get rid of my old Kenwood...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hand starting - more involving experience. A bit like hand cranking vintage cars to get them started. ;)
The last TT that required the 'hand method start up assist' on was an old AR. Are we back to that, now?

Also had an MGA with a hand crank. You needed that because you could never count on the electrics to turn the thing over. My MG Midge didn't have a crank, but was so small I could push it, hop in over the top, throw lever to second, and it'd pop right over. I don't want a turntable that reminds me of my MG.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For about the price of the Scheeeiiiitttt deck, a beginner phono cart, and phono stage, you could get one of these, with everything built in. My guess is that the Panasonic will last longer. I have two Technics tables, one from 1975 and the other from 2005, and both run like new. I'm sure they won't have the pace and timing, and slam as the Schiit, but there are always tradeoffs.

Technics-sl-1500c_cover.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Only their cheapest is bought in, the rest they make themselves, though I assume they don't do their own diamond polishing. I don't recall ever hearing a Rega cart, which is odd in the UK, must mean something.

I don't see anything wrong with OEM, a good OEM will know their stuff after decades of experience, the exact opposite approach of this new TT.

No, nothing at all wrong with OEM, per se.

But why pay extra for branding from a maker outside their core expertise? Jelco makes Ortofon's tonearms...so just buy the Jelco. Clearaudio makes McIntosh's turntables (at least one of them)....so just buy Clearaudio. Unless it's really so important to make all the labels match that you'll pay extra.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are we talking about p-mount cartridges and arms? I'm not familiar with any of those. Or are there other arms and other cartridges with 3 mounting holes like the Regas?

I don't understand what 3 mounting holes have to do with it?

There are a lot of "ready to run" TTs that come either with a fixed headshell and a pre-installed cart, or a removable headshell with pre-installed cart, usually something from the Ortofon 2M series or the lower end of the AT range.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For about the price of the Scheeeiiiitttt deck, a beginner phono cart, and phono stage, you could get one of these, with everything built in. My guess is that the Panasonic will last longer. I have two Technics tables, one from 1975 and the other from 2005, and both run like new. I'm sure they won't have the pace and timing, and slam as the Schiit, but there are always tradeoffs.

View attachment 32900

That looks like a SL-1500C....aren't they $1200?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks like a SL-1500C....aren't they $1200?
Yes. But you get a built in phono preamp and Ortofon cartridge with the deal. And a dust cover. So it's probably about par with the Schiitt.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes. But you get a built in phono preamp and Ortofon cartridge with the deal. And a dust cover. So it's probably about par with the Schiitt.

$928 with bundled Schiit Mani. $99 for a 2M Red (if that cart even works with the Sol...who knows) = $1027

So, yeah, in the ballpark.

But one is sensible and the other eccentric. I doubt they'll get cross-shopped a lot.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hand starting - more involving experience. A bit like hand cranking vintage cars to get them started. ;)
If you don't want to deal with cartridge and tonearm adjustments, an all Rega system is probably the way to go. As long as you use Rega cartridges, you don't have to make any adjustments.
Yep. Beats me why Schiit thinks there could possibly still be a gap in the market for another TT. Get a Rega or Pro-Ject at the lower end of the market and you're done. Also remember that the Regas include the best bargain in tonearms ever.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But why pay extra for branding from a maker outside their core expertise?
It depends if there is anything unique about the bought it component, just because someone else is making it does not mean it's the same as components they sell under their own name, even if it looks the same. If both companies know what they are doing small simple tweaks could be made to optimise the combinations.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last TT that required the 'hand method start up assist' on was an old AR. Are we back to that, now?
All the nottingham analogue decks required a push to get going, the AC motor cannot spin up the heavy platters. I've liked the sound of all the nottingham analogue decks I've heard.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It depends if there is anything unique about the bought it component, just because someone else is making it does not mean it's the same as components they sell under their own name, even if it looks the same. If both companies know what they are doing small simple tweaks could be made to optimise the combinations.

Sure....but that optimization may come at a price. Ortofon arms (made by Jelco) optimized for Ortofon carts...great, until I don't want an Ortofon cart.

But I'm a weirdo who makes habitual use of cartridge resonance calculators and makes spreadsheets matching arms to carts based on compliance, effective mass, azimuth adjustability, etc, and always run at least 2 carts (mono and stereo).

So I guess I'm actually the target tweaker for the Sol!

Oh, wait, except they provide no data...

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
That I'd agree with.

Schiit's marketing is "we're going to tick off a bunch of audiophile features that we can give you for 1/2 or less".....as long as you're willing to not be so picky about measurements, build quality, or reliability.

That being said, it's one thing to try that with electronics, which are far easier to use than a DIY turntable "kit".
You need basic engineering quality for a TT. A unipivot arm is a way of side-stepping the need for high-precision (low friction but zero play) bearings but there's no similar option for the main platter bearing. You must have high quality there if you want to avoid rumble, rocking, and all the rest.

Top Bottom