• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

Tom C

Major Contributor
Sorry didn't read that correctly. Do any fixed headshell decks allow this.
Actually, I have one that does. It’s a VPI 3D printed arm, so the entire arm and head shell is one continuous piece. It’s a unipivot, so to adjust azimuth there are threaded weights on each side on the tonearm’s base, near the pivot, that can by screwed in or out. It works.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Should that be acceptable for a "precision" device costing into the thousands of €/£/$? I mean, aren't they supposed to be resolving movements of the order of wavelengths of light (I leave aside the absurdity of lack of geometric standards).

Whether it should be acceptable or not, it's the current state of affairs.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Actually, I have one that does. It’s a VPI 3D printed arm, so the entire arm and head shell is one continuous piece. It’s a unipivot, so to adjust azimuth there are threaded weights on each side on the tonearm’s base, near the pivot, that can by screwed in or out. It works.

The 'rigidity or bust' crowd might say that's just another kind of break in the arm, just closer to the pivot point. :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They can, if you use use small ones (washers or spacers) between cartridge and headshell on one side.

I didn't think Rega made shims that go in between cart and headshell, do they?

As for homebrew tweaks, yeah, people do all sorts of Rube Goldberg stuff with turntables.

Blue tack, coins, etc.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's what some reviewers said when the first one came out. I particularly remember Martin Colloms saying something like that, but he was one of the many who used an LP12 as their long term reference so it wasn't clear whether it was just a preference for the "tuneful" Linn. FWIW some said the same about the SME V vs other "super" arms, i.e. the SME sounded flat and boring.

Things with lots of resonances can sound exciting.

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was going to suggest that anyone looking for a $1500-2000 complete TT setup should just buy an old SP10. I have a couple. The one in my office is a Mk II on a solid metal plinth (from a studio, I think), with a 3009 S2 pre-improved and DL103. UKP 1200 all in, 8-9 years ago. But just looking on eBay, there are virtually none around. They used to be everywhere...

Mani.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what some reviewers said when the first one came out. I particularly remember Martin Colloms saying something like that, but he was one of the many who used an LP12 as their long term reference so it wasn't clear whether it was just a preference for the "tuneful" Linn. FWIW some said the same about the SME V vs other "super" arms, i.e. the SME sounded flat and boring.
That's why the comparison to the CD player was so telling, if it was being super accurate it would have sounded a lot like CD, which is the criticism of my P9 from people who prefer things like the Linn, that it sounds like a CD player, I largely agree, but view that as a good thing.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I didn't think Rega made shims that go in between cart and headshell, do they?

As for homebrew tweaks, yeah, people do all sorts of Rube Goldberg stuff with turntables.

Blue tack, coins, etc.
Why would Rega do that? They want you to buy a Rega cart so the geometry will be (designed to be) correct with no bodges.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why the comparison to the CD player was so telling, if it was being super accurate it would have sounded a lot like CD, which is the criticism of my P9 from people who prefer things like the Linn, that it sounds like a CD player, I largely agree, but view that as a good thing.
Yep, but my LP12 from 1994 does sound very close to CD since I mounted a Van den Hul MC1 Special pickup.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, but my LP12 from 1994 does sound very close to CD since I mounted a Van den Hul MC1 Special pickup.
When you say it's from 94, how much of it is from 94 :) ?
The lightly modded LP12 I heard and liked was also close to CD.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
LP12s sounded more and more like CD as time went on, particularly after the Lingo and Cirkus. The later (Scantech I believe) carts have also been much more neutral than the previous Supex-made ones. Some disliked this and preferred the older *foot-tapping" sound due to a bass resonance.

Top Bottom