• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Either they didn't know it was off speed or didn't think any would would notice. I'm not sure which is worse.
It seems that most hi-fi gear manufacturer ads (speakers, amps and such) show a record player. LPs are definitely a trendy thing. Was in a 'big box' store the other day and noticed they were selling records. The SOL (does that stand for Schitt Out of Luck?) is certainly an attempt to play this market at a pretty low price point. Why they would attempt it with such a flaky/tweako design is a mystery. If I was looking to get into the LP hobby, its tonearm alone would scare me from buying--not to mention the Rube Goldberg-Mickey Mouse overall look of the thing.

I went through Fremer's measurements (he uses the discontinued Feickert iPhone tachometer app--and I suppose a test tone LP). None of the inexpensive belt drives were spot on in speed accuracy, but none of them were as bad as the SOL, which was exceptionally bad. Really, turntable speed variation was solved in the early 1970s with DD servo, and by the 1980s quartz PLL made the issue (even at a theoretical level) moot. Compare Mr. Analog's measurements of the inexpensive Technics SL-1500c (which are similar to the more expensive SL-1200GAE, and out of sight SL-1000), compare the fit and finish and ease of use, and then ask yourself why anyone would get involved with something like SOL?

Even sadder is the fact that Schitt had to use a non technical guy like Fremer to point out technical QC problems to them. How embarrassing is that? The scary thing is that if Fremer hadn't measured the device, the Full of Schitt guys might never have figured it out. LOL

This comes at a time when some Schiit electronics were starting to get interesting from a tech standpoint. Why the company would burn so much goodwill, time and effort on something like this toy is beyond me. I guess it's because they understand their customer. The Schiit faithful won't care. They will in fact enjoy being abused.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I went through Fremer's measurements (he uses the discontinued Feickert iPhone tachometer app--and I suppose a test tone LP). None of the inexpensive belt drives were spot on in speed accuracy, but none of them were as bad as the SOL, which was exceptionally bad.

I think you're being too kind.

The mid-fi priced belt drives with "Speed Box" control are more speed-accurate than the Sol and cost less.

And if you spend as much as the Sol + "upgrades" to fix it (i.e. ~$1200) you can get a new Technics SL-1500C, which blows the Sol away in terms of speed accuracy.

Some will doubtless defend the "configurability" of the Sol, but if a TT design can't even get speed accuracy correct, it hasn't earned the right to go for advanced features when it can't even get the basics right.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The SOL (does that stand for Schitt Out of Luck?)
Do you really have to ask? :rolleyes:
The boyz of Schiit are repressed frat boys through and through -- at least in terms of the level of their humo(u)r.

Koifla

75527CAE-80E6-4910-B981-FCCF7C761D51.jpeg
My google search of the SOL turned up this forum. I read that the low torque motor is intentional because it has lower noise. I also read it’s common to spin heavy platter belt drive tables by hand to get going. I use a Clamp-it so a start up push is just part of the routine. I added a Music Hall cruise control that gave the motor more torque and it starts by itself now but I still give a hand. The speed control ment easier use and I could position the belt better. The worst thing about the table was the cork/rubber mat. It was a static magnet and too large. Switching to an Achromat made record handling easier. Looking for a compliant cartridge I contacted different companies. SoundSmith said the Zephyr MIMC Star was a good match. Spending $700 on a turntable that can play a $2000 is special. I would like to think the other $700-$1000 tables being compared can match the Sol for its ability to track a very sensitive cartridge perfectly. Watching the 11” uni pivot arm work is amazing. I have not read any bad reviews for the table but do find bad unfounded complaints in forums. False conspiracy theory so best to wait and see. I would like to see it brought back at a higher price with an electronic speed control. There are no other flaws. Maybe a VPI style tone arm wire harness. An extra weight for the arm. The Zephyr is 12 grams on the heavier side and maxed out the adjustment to make tracking weight. A rubber band as an arm lock in case it gets bumped is a diy. An amazing turntable and achievement. I would blind test it against anything and it would not loose. A true audiophile turntable at an entry level price.

Attachments

• 61166D1F-49A3-470C-9811-B636FA37B0A0.jpeg
    61166D1F-49A3-470C-9811-B636FA37B0A0.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 81
  • BBE40FB7-C313-4AFC-B438-529EA8C871A1.jpeg
    BBE40FB7-C313-4AFC-B438-529EA8C871A1.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 91
  • BB23A890-459B-4218-88CD-CF0A628CC5CD.jpeg
    BB23A890-459B-4218-88CD-CF0A628CC5CD.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 90

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that the low torque motor is intentional because it has lower noise.

Sol was sold to a low price point. I would presume the main concern was not low noise per se, but the lowest noise at the lowest price. That is, of course, what one would expect. When price is no longer the main consideration, options increase.

I also read it’s common to spin heavy platter belt drive tables by hand to get going.

That is certainly the case, historically. The original AR, which was sort of the Dynaco ST-70 of turntables (affordable, simple in design, with many sold), certainly could use a helping hand for its initial push over the cliff. However, a less flexible belt coupled to a stronger motor would get a platter up to speed, quicker.

In the '50s and '60s, if you needed torque (changers and many pro broadcast turntables), then idler reduction was necessary. Those came up to speed as fast as the later direct drives.

I would blind test it against anything and it would not loose.
Anything?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
View attachment 182156My google search of the SOL turned up this forum. I read that the low torque motor is intentional because it has lower noise. I also read it’s common to spin heavy platter belt drive tables by hand to get going. I use a Clamp-it so a start up push is just part of the routine. I added a Music Hall cruise control that gave the motor more torque and it starts by itself now but I still give a hand. The speed control ment easier use and I could position the belt better. The worst thing about the table was the cork/rubber mat. It was a static magnet and too large. Switching to an Achromat made record handling easier. Looking for a compliant cartridge I contacted different companies. SoundSmith said the Zephyr MIMC Star was a good match. Spending $700 on a turntable that can play a $2000 is special. I would like to think the other $700-$1000 tables being compared can match the Sol for its ability to track a very sensitive cartridge perfectly. Watching the 11” uni pivot arm work is amazing. I have not read any bad reviews for the table but do find bad unfounded complaints in forums. False conspiracy theory so best to wait and see. I would like to see it brought back at a higher price with an electronic speed control. There are no other flaws. Maybe a VPI style tone arm wire harness. An extra weight for the arm. The Zephyr is 12 grams on the heavier side and maxed out the adjustment to make tracking weight. A rubber band as an arm lock in case it gets bumped is a diy. An amazing turntable and achievement. I would blind test it against anything and it would not loose. A true audiophile turntable at an entry level price.
How much do those thumb screws weigh? They look like they're adding a lot of mass in a place where you wouldn't want it(?).

JohnVF

How much do those thumb screws weigh? They look like they're adding a lot of mass in a place where you wouldn't want it(?).
Those are from soundsmith, and when used correctly are to tune the mass over the cart for compliance/arm resonance tuning. These look like the lightest aluminum ones but I’m not sure.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Those are from soundsmith, and when used correctly are to tune the mass over the cart for compliance/arm resonance tuning. These look like the lightest aluminum ones but I’m not sure.
Okey-dokey. Thanks, John. :)

JohnVF

Okey-dokey. Thanks, John. :)
I used them and never liked them. The added mass so high above the stylus contact area seemed just an entirely bad idea, and in practice with a unipivot it never helped some tracking issues I had.

And hello mark.

Koifla

Polishing cat claw scratch marks out of perspex turntable lids is no fun either... ask me how I know that... :)
it’s self polishing and dusting

Attachments

• FCDF94D2-A910-4542-A761-2487EFE1A8F7.jpeg
    FCDF94D2-A910-4542-A761-2487EFE1A8F7.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 78
  • D2C673E2-D65D-4DA1-A222-EB71A87B6C3A.jpeg
    D2C673E2-D65D-4DA1-A222-EB71A87B6C3A.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 81

Koifla

You may not be familiar with the SoundSmith installation kit. It’s popular on VPI. Those aluminum add 1 gram. The kit includes Brass 4g Stainless steel 2g Aluminum 1g and plastic half a gram. If I didn’t want it it wouldn’t be there. I had SoundSmith match the cartridge to the Sol. I’m pretty happy. Pictured is the heavier Brass

Attachments

• D18BAFD4-967C-468E-80EA-5C1FCD15FCAC.jpeg
    D18BAFD4-967C-468E-80EA-5C1FCD15FCAC.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 59

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I was, indeed, not familiar with that particular SoundSmith product.
Thanks/sorry!

Koifla

Sol was sold to a low price point. I would presume the main concern was not low noise per se, but the lowest noise at the lowest price. That is, of course, what one would expect. When price is no longer the main consideration, options increase.

That is certainly the case, historically. The original AR, which was sort of the Dynaco ST-70 of turntables (affordable, simple in design, with many sold), certainly could use a helping hand for its initial push over the cliff. However, a less flexible belt coupled to a stronger motor would get a platter up to speed, quicker.

In the '50s and '60s, if you needed torque (changers and many pro broadcast turntables), then idler reduction was necessary. Those came up to speed as fast as the later direct drives.

Anything?
I presume they chose the motor because it offered the least amount of noise. It’s a very heavy motor. My speed tests have been outstanding.

Attachments

• D50C2F1A-C324-4D73-9C6F-D4D597E99750.jpeg
    D50C2F1A-C324-4D73-9C6F-D4D597E99750.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 49

Koifla

I used them and never liked them. The added mass so high above the stylus contact area seemed just an entirely bad idea, and in practice with a unipivot it never helped some tracking issues I had.

And hello mark.
I have used some of the most famous records (cannons) that have warnings because they are difficult to track and test records. The cartridge and tone arm are a joy to watch. It handles everything easily. The compliance was matched by the cartridge manufacturer to the Sol. The screw kit was a gift from them.

Attachments

• A6A09A4F-8EDF-4F6F-A03C-84CC2D766D65.jpeg
    A6A09A4F-8EDF-4F6F-A03C-84CC2D766D65.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 57

JohnVF

I have used some of the most famous records (cannons) that have warnings because they are difficult to track and test records. The cartridge and tone arm are a joy to watch. It handles everything easily. The compliance was matched by the cartridge manufacturer to the Sol. The screw kit was a gift from them.
It sounds like you're ok then, its a bit arm dependent. Mine threw off a VPI JMW unipivot but, then again, so did almost everything else. Too much added weight on the screws could throw off a compliance match, though.

Top Bottom