• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit's Jason Stoddard on blind testing

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We definitely have come a long way since then . We are always trying to improve our products and I think our current line is an example of that progress.

You clearly still have a bad taste in your mouth from your previous purchase, something I completely understand. While we do have affordable products considering this market, the cost is not trivial. Every company has it's failures and we are not immune. I can promise that we do learn from those failures and make up for them when we can. We aren't just marketing. We give a shit about this industry.

I will reiterate, I believe our current line of products are the best designed and quality for your dollar and I believe our products speak for themselves.
I understand people make mistakes. But at that point, I just threw my hands up in the air. I spent a bunch of money on products trying to break ground loops that were inherent to the design. I succeeded but even with all ground loops broken it was still rather noisy. The pot still produced noise on touch too so I sent it to you guys. I received it back with the problem still existent but slightly lowered noise (from touching the knob). At that point, I didn't know what else to do but move on to another company. And that company's product (rme adi 2 dac v1) blew my mind away. Everything finally sounded correct. I ended up having to sell the jot it to someone at a huge discount with the problems disclosed. I told him the problem was most likely better on mine than new ones because at least this one had been worked on to try to fix it.

I do agree the modius and heresy compete well in their category. Maybe one day schiit's proprietary USB and dac designs will be able to compete/measure as well as a nicely designed dac with a premade, off the wall chip. But I'm not even sure if that is what ya'll are trying to do. It still looks like the company has both feet in the subjectivist market, dipping one toe in the objectivist water.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
@T.M.Noble Will Schiit ever make a statement DAC that measures flawlessly? Like a Yggdrasil except it measures like the Modius 3? I’d buy that. I love how large the Yggdrasil dac is but the fact it measures so poorly means I’ll never own another one. I’ve owned two of them before believe it or not...

Shazb0t

@T.M.Noble Will Schiit ever make a statement DAC that measures flawlessly? Like a Yggdrasil except it measures like the Modius 3? I’d buy that. I love how large the Yggdrasil dac is but the fact it measures so poorly means I’ll never own another one. I’ve owned two of them before believe it or not...
Just buy the Modius.

tuga

Major Contributor
I think you're dodging the more pressing question. Obviously the listener will be more familiar with their own home. Why is Harman's approach incorrect? Or why will it produce results that can't be trusted?

I understand that yours may be more pressing but you didn't reply to mine. I don't think that Harman's A/B/X approach incorrect, only that it is insuficient to characterise audible performance, just as the Spinorama on its own is insuficient to characterise measured performance.

If you read the paper or listen to Lund's talks you'll note that the consumer is brought up only a few time, and then only as a sort of goal. What he does address about openly and at length is that certain acoustic phenomena become consciously audible once you are familiar with them (like the point about linguistic phonemes). The link I quoted was to another psychoacoustic study altogether. I just wanted you to have a non-Harman source making the general point that listener reliability is different and that subjects have to be assessed that way as part of the research. It's great insight to for research to clearly state why a certain subject performs poorly, since that would suggest how to make someone perform better. Familiarity with listening circumstances, which you emphasize heavily, I think for personal reasons rather than reasons found in Lund's paper, is a smaller part of the equation than the recognition of audible phenomena and the work it takes to do so well.

Toole sometimes addressed manufacturers, sometimes consumers. His output is very large. His book specifically is meant both for professionals and anyone interested.

The anyone interested is valid for both Lund's and Toole's.

I think you're missing his specifics in favour of the general point. The paper is not written to support long listening sessions as methods of assessment in lieu of measurements.

I never said that I support long listening sessions as methods of assessment in lieu of anything. I merely pointed out that they could be complementary to ABX (and by extension listening to complement measurements in case of speakers).

Point taken (link here for others). I was wrong there. But, the only way that statement works to your end is if you take it in isolation, where it could refer to any old audiophile.

Again your words not mine. Anyone can perform A/B/X, anyone can perform long-term listening assessment. In both cases the trained listener will perform better.

The topic of that paragraph was already excellent mastering engineers and the time it took them to gain that excellence. And I still don't think the paper supports your next point, which looks like your central argument:
This has been the audiophile method for a long time.

I disagree. From what I observed over 15 years of participating in forums in different languages and countries is that most people do not perform objective critical listening assessment from an observationist perspective. What they, and many reviewers do is tasting sessions or preference evaluations.

I don't think excellent hearing comes without a good understanding of the underlying phenomena or gear.

I agree that listening training is crucial, as is technical understanding. I use listening to the best of my abilities to identify issues and by correlating this with available measurements I then try to identify possible causes that can be addressed with an upgrade.

Somewhat related, one of the foundational texts in modern singing was Richard Miller's The Structure of Singing, which combined anatomy with traditional musicology and vocal techniques. The book begins by criticizing traditional approaches which favor a loose vocabulary and unclear or inconsistent methods, and produce poorer singers than if they were informed by a personal knowledge of the actions between throat, lungs, stomach and so on. Adele's technique, self-taught, caused her to have surgery multiple times. By analogy, Lund's example is that professionals who sometimes listen to music 8 hours or more a day undergo fatigue (wherein their decisions become worse) and eventually hearing damage. Some knowledge of the hearing system is sure to prevent it, like how to set levels and why mixing decisions have to be understood in the context of a certain level.

The perceptually self-sufficient approach seems anything but that. It requires other people to figure out how sound works, from physics to biophysics to psychophysics. But as we've seen it's possible to develop whole narratives based on what you don't know without ever feeling the urge to look something up.

I agree. The more I learn about the science the better I understand my limitations as human and which/why some measureable effects and issues are audible and others aren't. Scientists gather and interpret data in an attempt to explain phenomena; sometimes that interpretation lacks logic (i.e. Toole's interpretation of mono vs. stereo sound quality). Toole & Olive's research is ripe with words like "tend", "can", "likely", "may", "should", "seems to imply" or "persuasive evidence points to", yet it is often taken as gospel.

Listening fatigue is one of the criticisms often made of A/B comparisons, certainly one that I make.
I find those comparisons tedious and avoid them when possible. When I tried the Philips Golden Ear challenge I gave up when I passed silver level. Couldn't stand listening to that tune(s?) any longer, nor spend any single minute of my time striving to find audible differences.
Echoic memory duration makes matters worse because one is forced to concentrate for a very limited amount of time many times.
I would expect training to make one more resilient and also improve our focus on the matter at hand.
I remember strugling to hear differences between high bit-rate mp3 and 16/44.1 iirc. (I suspect that their choice of track was partly to be blamed)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I understand that yours may be more pressing but you didn't reply to mine
I'm not sure what you mean. You're referring to your question below?
There is another room which appears to be more adequate for tasting or preference sessions.
But again note that I was referring to Harman's home-like room vs. the listener's own sitting room or control room. Which one do you think that the listener will be more familiar with?
Like I said above, I don't think there is any doubt that Harman's listening tests are done in somewhat artificial circumstances and that listeners are less comfortable than on their couch. Thing is, with eyes closed there's no acoustic difference between a nominal living room and what they constructed either for the speaker switcher or the other room. It's a matter of dimensions, absorptive/diffusive surfaces, reverb times, energy dissipation (ETC) and room noise. Controlled testing-wise, I don't think it gets better than that.

Regarding some of your other comments, I think you have to acknowledge how general Lund's paper is. He has not proposed any distinct long-term listening session method or technique and his commentary about time-based phenomena doesn't advocate for a specific approach beyond cautionary notices or keeping in mind certain situational aspects. This is in contrast to Toole's book, which gives precise instructions, analyses and situational advice on treatment, speaker assessment, selection, placement, etc.
Toole & Olive's research is ripe with words like "tend", "can", "likely", "may", "should", "seems to imply" or "persuasive evidence points to", yet it is often taken as gospel.
I suspect that some of the more graceless commentary is from those who have not read the underlying works, or have read excerpts only.
Listening fatigue is one of the criticisms often made of A/B comparisons, certainly one that I make.
I find those comparisons tedious and avoid them when possible. When I tried the Philips Golden Ear challenge I gave up when I passed silver level. Couldn't stand listening to that tune(s?) any longer, nor spend any single minute of my time striving to find audible differences.
Echoic memory duration makes matters worse because one is forced to concentrate for a very limited amount of time many times.
I would expect training to make one more resilient and also improve our focus on the matter at hand.
I remember strugling to hear differences between high bit-rate mp3 and 16/44.1 iirc. (I suspect that their choice of track was partly to be blamed)
That's a good example. The underlying assumption that a listener will be glued to those sounds or songs and them alone, with full attention, really doesn't capture how a lot of people use playback systems. There's a lot of research missing about casual listening circumstances and how to effectively cover either domestic or commercial venues where the goal is to establish an atmosphere rather than directed listening. Just turning the volume down is definitely not enough.

Developing a library of publicly-accessible listening tests would be really worthwhile. I made a small list of those I could find at the bottom of this post. Nothing like comprehensive, of course.

What I'd like to create or find is a good set of demonstrations of psychoacoustic events. People are so used to how to good stereo and phantom imaging sounds that they probably don't stop to think the kind of sensory manipulation it represents. There are some collections out there but they are aimed at scientists, and some of the phenomena are too subtle or too unintuitive to be immediately interesting.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I understand people make mistakes. But at that point, I just threw my hands up in the air. I spent a bunch of money on products trying to break ground loops that were inherent to the design. I succeeded but even with all ground loops broken it was still rather noisy. The pot still produced noise on touch too so I sent it to you guys. I received it back with the problem still existent but slightly lowered noise (from touching the knob). At that point, I didn't know what else to do but move on to another company. And that company's product (rme adi 2 dac v1) blew my mind away. Everything finally sounded correct. I ended up having to sell the jot it to someone at a huge discount with the problems disclosed. I told him the problem was most likely better on mine than new ones because at least this one had been worked on to try to fix it.

I do agree the modius and heresy compete well in their category. Maybe one day schiit's proprietary USB and dac designs will be able to compete/measure as well as a nicely designed dac with a premade, off the wall chip. But I'm not even sure if that is what ya'll are trying to do. It still looks like the company has both feet in the subjectivist market, dipping one toe in the objectivist water.

Well, as I said, comparing the products we produced almost 5 years ago to our current product line is anachronistic in my view. the point is still taken. We have made mistakes in the past and we have learned from those mistakes.

I do disagree with the presupposition that a competing product is only one based on how it measures from one specific test. Our DAC's compete not only with how they measure but with how they are made, the aesthetics of the unit, their features, how they sound, and how they are supported through customer service. Even in this forum, the SINAD god is not the be-all end-all.

Our DAC's are indeed, well designed. They may just not be designed for what you deem is most important. It's the beauty of this industry right now. Plenty of choice and a unit for everyone's particular taste. We are certainly not an objectivist company. We want to make equipment that sounds good to us. There was a large segment of the industry we were not satisfying, so we designed a product line to cater to their tastes. We are not ideologues. We want to make a good products that people enjoy. Full stop.

All of this is to say, sorry again for the bad experience you had with one of our products. It is because of customers like you that we are determined to be a better company. Thanks again for the input.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
There has definitely been a trend to make our products friendlier to all audiophiles, no matter their position on subjectivity/objectivity. Moving forward, not matter the topology, you will see that Schiit products will be measuring better and better. Stay tuned.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I replaced my big DAC with a small one and do miss the big one. :) The big one had a big display I could read from across the room. Not so with the small one. I literally have to get down on my knees to read the display on the small one. To the extent budget is not a limitation, there is a good market for higher end products with better usability, nicer looks, pride of ownership, etc.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I replaced my big DAC with a small one and do miss the big one. :) The big one had a big display I could read from across the room. Not so with the small one. I literally have to get down on my knees to read the display on the small one. To the extent budget is not a limitation, there is a good market for higher end products with better usability, nicer looks, pride of ownership, etc.

For some of us the simplicity of the Modius -- including lack of display - is a feature not a problem.

And I have to say its plug and play reliability versus (inaudibly) better measuring devices which seem plagued by glitches of all kinds makes me feel like I'm not remotely settling for anything less. Kudos to the Schittmakers.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For some of us the simplicity of the Modius -- including lack of display - is a feature not a problem.

And I have to say its plug and play reliability versus (inaudibly) better measuring devices which seem plagued by glitches of all kinds makes me feel like I'm not remotely settling for anything less. Kudos to the Schittmakers.
I have no reliability issues with my RME ADI-2 DAC. I love its spectrum analyzer and instrumentation.

My favorite DAC type is one with volume control so I don't need a pre-amp. In that case, a display is a must and I like to see a large one at that so I can see it as I manipulate it with a remote. Ditto for headphone listening and integrated amplifier and volume control. This is why I am not using a Schiit products in my own systems despite their excellent performance. I need features they don't provide.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I have no reliability issues with my RME ADI-2 DAC. I love its spectrum analyzer and instrumentation.

My favorite DAC type is one with volume control so I don't need a pre-amp. In that case, a display is a must and I like to see a large one at that so I can see it as I manipulate it with a remote. Ditto for headphone listening and integrated amplifier and volume control. This is why I am not using a Schiit products in my own systems despite their excellent performance. I need features they don't provide.

Yes my (5 times the price) RME is also brilliant and I value its features for my listening room, Toppings in the bedrooms and the Modius provides service in the den, the most used system. I was referring to Soncoz and SMSL whose comparably priced offerings with great measurements I considered but was ultimately swayed by the lack of issues Schitt owners seem to experience in comparison. Customer service for an issue with one of the Toppings was a disaster and I wouldn't buy again. Very happy with both choices of the RME and Modius.

Last edited:

oldsysop

Thanks pozz and tuga . Very interesting everything published.
;)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thread. I for one welcome this move by Schiit. Any move towards basic honesty controls should be very welcome in an industry as dominated by snake-oil as the hifi industry!

That said, I obviously don't agree with everything they said. As far as I know there is no published research which supports the contention that stress is a major barrier to doing well in blind tests, particularly after a basic level of training among the participants. What I think is broadly correct and supported by studies in sensory research, though, is that the ABX format may not reveal the most subtle differences, compared to the simpler AB or same/different-testing. Studies in the field of sensory research on food testing - which is much better funded and thus more developed than research on audio - has often shown this. Here's one such article for example: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...a_kygyjZHOpummsTAqjX1deFjEO9Ab2rlbJgZx5NU6N4Q
It has to with the difficulty of holding sensory or auditory perceptions present in one's mind long enough. AB requires a shorter time span than ABX. There may be some people who train themselves to become expert blind testees though, and who can do well even on abx tests.

Incidentally, the same/different or A/B-approach is used by the Swedish Audio Society in their blind testing, which as far as I know have performed the only serious blind tests where one has identified perceptible differences between dacs and amplifiers. But even in their tests these differences are often extremely small and discrete, of the kind one would never think about when listening to music if you didn't know about the difference in the first place.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Something hit me when he said "a blind test is like taking a math test". I loved math tests. Math was something I liked and was good at. Math tests made my math better by showing me my strenghts and weaknesses. So if audio is something I like, and am good at and want to get better at, why would I be afraid of a blind listening test? Seems to be 2 types of people, not subjectivists/objectivists but those that want to learn and arnt afraid to make mistakes, and those entrenched in there biases who are terrified of being wrong and will never learn when they are. Both camps have both types. I seperate these types by there willingness to take a (blind) test. Sure the tests are not perfect but there better than the alternatives.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
When something threatens your entire existance you will fight it with everything you have. Thats what the audiphool rags, youboob videos and used car (hi fi) salesmen have been doing for 30 years. And blind testing is number one on there list. Is it any wonder so many people believe its bad?

Tks

Major Contributor

Finally got over the UI/UX from the OG initial review you made way back when?

welsh

The biggest mystery of the Schiit saga is how the Yaggi, an expensive DAC which measures like a cheap motherboard DAC received glowing recommendations from so many paid reviewers.
The Schiit saga started out with terribly-measuring devices (and one amplifier that could destroy your headphones). Now they have a proper instrumentation, the recent products look good

devopsprodude

The biggest mystery of the Schiit saga is how the Yaggi, an expensive DAC which measures like a cheap motherboard DAC received glowing recommendations from so many paid reviewers.
Not really that hard to figure that out. Either they're giving glowing recommendations to stuff that tests poorly because they're getting paid, or they like colorations in sound, or they're just plain biased towards certain products (whether that's because of price, or whatever). There are far more people who think they can tell the difference between sound of cables, versus those, like me, who are very skeptical of such claims (because the evidence is pretty clear that such claims are BS).

Top Bottom