• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar Amplifier Review

FranzF

110, cheers, B

Thanks mate.

So 110v models hum too. This disproves my theory (based on the testimonials) that the mechanical hum was mainly impacting 240 EU/AU models.
I'll see if I could audition one of these DC offset blockers.

Cheers

_B_

Thanks mate.

So 110v models hum too. This disproves my theory (based on the testimonials) that the mechanical hum was mainly impacting 240 EU/AU models.

Cheers
Either the unit, or unit plus audioquest nrg y3, seems to compress transients in my rig, I'd be interested in knowing if you observe the same in yours.

archerious

Thanks mate.

Cheers

I am also getting hum. None at first, but recently started. I thought it was my D90 DAC, swapped it to my backup (SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII) same hum. Finally grabbed a 3.5mm to RCA and went into the vidar, same hum.

hyfynut

Let's not forget that the Vidar is a very rare audio component in that it is an affordable amplifier that is made in the USA. There is value there for some (me for sure ) this will matter less for others. And by the way this is the most difficult comment I have ever typed as the formatting is very strange and unlike any site I've ever seen. Strange things happen when I correct things or fix miss typed words.?

Feyire

I am also getting hum. None at first, but recently started. I thought it was my D90 DAC, swapped it to my backup (SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII) same hum. Finally grabbed a 3.5mm to RCA and went into the vidar, same hum.

That sounds terrible. Send that schiit (pun intended) back and get something better.

FranzF

Either the unit, or unit plus audioquest nrg y3, seems to compress transients in my rig, I'd be interested in knowing if you observe the same in yours.

I recently purchased Holtons DC Blocker. Plugged it in, and powered both Vidars' on and .............. Crickets. Hum gone! It was just the beginning. Once I started playing some music, I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. Its almost as everything snapped back into place. Clarity of instruments, vocals. Music also comes out with the gusto and has more depth. Swinging! I am just absolutely gob smacked. Waiting for the weekend to hook this box to my other rig.

Kind Regards

David Harper

I've been driving maggie LRS speakers with a single Vidar for six months and so far I love this amp. The microprocessor works very well in protecting the amp. I have occasionally pushed the volume too much and caused the Vidar to shut down but it has always recovered immediately with no discernable damage. It does run warm all the time (even when it's on but not driving the speakers). I've read somewhere that the maggies impedance dips as low as 2.8 ohms at certain frequencies so it's understandable that the amp might sometimes go into protection mode. This amp seems ideally suited to the maggies since they don't do extreme volume no matter what feeds them. My previous Polk floorstanders could play unbelievably loud which was great for rocking out but I'm an old guy and don't really want that anymore. On acoustic music the Vidar/maggie combo has incredible sound quality like nothing I've ever heard. On loud distorted electric guitars or synthesizers, not so much. I have a B&W powered sub but it seems to mostly just muddy up the sound of the maggies. Neil Young has a couple electric guitar albums (Tron?...I don't remember which ones) which are so loud, harsh and distorted as to make them unlistenable with maggies. The maggies hate this kind of music. They seem to be telling the listener "why would you want to listen to this shit?"

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
this amplifier can deliver 2 ohm continuous? or it will enter into protection mode ?, some kef speakers are 3 ohm and i don't wanna problems...

Dana reed

this amplifier can deliver 2 ohm continuous? or it will enter into protection mode ?, some kef speakers are 3 ohm and i don't wanna problems...
I run mine as mono blocks into 4 ohm continuous, and they don’t protect until they get quite loud.
I’d imaging running a single one into 3 Ohm would be similar

Tom C

Major Contributor
I use Vidal with Kef LS50. Amir measured minimum impedance of that speaker at 4 ohms. My Vidar has never gone into protection shut down.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I use Vidal with Kef LS50. Amir measured minimum impedance of that speaker at 4 ohms. My Vidar has never gone into protection shut down.
I have a nad c355bee which is 80w at 4ohm and 8ohm, the r300s are 3.2ohm and with 55% of volume i get a clapping (?) in 100-120hz, maybe the speakers go too low and producing clipping only in the woofers but the others part of FR suit well the impedances and can go louder but the bass give me the problem, i need something better than this with my r300s... my amp doesn't shut down but produce the distortion like the woofer gonna broke xD

So the vidar work well? i need a new amp and im between the hypex thing and this, i saw a guy with hum... is that normal? i don't wanna buy a special DC that remove the thing...

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have a nad c355bee which is 80w at 4ohm and 8ohm, the r300s are 3.2ohm and with 55% of volume i get a clapping (?) in 100-120hz, maybe the speakers go too low and producing clipping only in the woofers but the others part of FR suit well the impedances and can go louder but the bass give me the problem, i need something better than this with my r300s... my amp doesn't shut down but produce the distortion like the woofer gonna broke xD

So the vidar work well? i need a new amp and im between the hypex thing and this, i saw a guy with hum... is that normal? i don't wanna buy a special DC that remove the thing...
The only way to know is to compare the two side by side. Now, I’ve never owned or heard a Hypex. But Amir has reviewed both, and I would say the clear winner is the Hypex. I bought my Vidal before joining ASR, so I wasn’t aware. And, I had the hum, and so did others. It’s not terrible, but if you can do better with Hypex for similar $$, why not do better?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The only way to know is to compare the two side by side. Now, I’ve never owned or heard a Hypex. But Amir has reviewed both, and I would say the clear winner is the Hypex. I bought my Vidal before joining ASR, so I wasn’t aware. And, I had the hum, and so did others. It’s not terrible, but if you can do better with Hypex for similar $$, why not do better?
I like those hyperx amp too! Where can I buy those hyperx amp? I saw a website from Francia im not sure if they ship to my country in latam

David Harper

Excellent review Amirm. As usual your conclusions are right on the money. Mine has been dead silent since new. No hum.

ntsarb

Forum Donor
Hi. I just received a 1-year old Vidar, which I purchased second-hand via ebay and, to my disappointment, is causes a popping sound when it's turned off. I contacted Schiit Audio to check whether this is normal and they kindly advised that this is not normal and possibly caused by a DC Offset issue, which would require service.

I'll have to return the amp to the seller, since it's defective and the problem wasn't mentioned, but I'd like to better understand what it is that can cause an amp with the microprocessor protections the Vidar has, to develop a defect within a year, and whether there is anything the end user can do to prevent such a defect?

acetogen

Someone might have posted this in another board, but since the hum problem with Schiit amps happens in some settings and not others it is a QC problem. I've read it was related to the support for the power supply which the company can do. I do hear a hum in one of my Aegirs, both which are running in bridge mode. I don't really care much about the problem anymore.

Chitami

Seems as though the "crappy" Denon 3500 is better than this since it has 7 channels instead of only two, along with bass management, room correction, subwoofer eq, all the various surround modes, wifi, etc etc etc etc, lower SINAD despite all the complexity, and its cheaper. You then have to spend more money for a separate DAC with better performance, only to end up with a dirtier signal than a cheap Denon AVR. I don't understand the reason for a product like this to even exist.
Yeah. They do exist and expensive but produce quality sound. Nowadays, we see world develop into a way that Wifi + Smart thing like, Subscription thing become popular. You can open the fram of those electronic. Thousand part intergrated in class D. The more electronic stuff, the more risk of a tiny mosfet broke down and the whole thing would not do a simple process to amplify sound. There are many reason why there is still class A AB D T exist. They have their own unique features that suitable for different individuals. Why don't we all use a prius toyota or gas saving corolla to save the energy, save space, save cost maintenance. Depend on yours taste and budget.

Chitami

We all talk about specs but to me spec is important but at the end what really matter is your ear. I listened to schiit and feel amazing compared to my amp $1900 Denon PMA-1600NE even Denon show higher specs than Schiit Vidar but to my EAR is what matter to me. May be for only me, I believed specs cannot tell 100% how the sounds will come out. Depend on what type of music you listen to.

Top Bottom