• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vali 2+ Review (Tube Headphone Amp)

MacCali

Major Contributor
I was suggested to go with this amp if I wanted to get my first tube HA. I went to the schittr, the schitt store and was able to demo this, and honestly did not hear any difference between all of there budget equipment. Absolutely all sound nearly the same, and this wasn't nice.

It isn't a fair comparison, however the TA-10R and hybrid I believe, is far far far better than this unit and I think I only paid like 250. I know it's more expensive, but with discounts and promo code it dropped to that. It stands in my top 3 units I enjoy listening too.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I think the point of tube amps is to sound different. So I'm dissapointed the harmonic spikes and the like were not more noticeable.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's interesting how much your measurements differ from the ones provided by Schiit inhouse. I know they do test at around 1 volt though - very unlikely use case given their DACs have no volume control and output 2v unbalanced. Their test results would have you believe that it would have exponentially better power supply noise rejection and virtually no grass around the harmonics - to the point where looking at the FFT you could tell someone its a Garage 1217 product and they probably would believe you. Interesting how the distortion is audible though, I wouldn't have assumed it would be easily audible given that 2nd harmonic is -75 and 3rd is -100. I bet the noise hurts the ability to hear quiet details though.
Most music I listen to is recorded on analog sources. I suppose with effort you can get that to 80 db if you still have viable master tapes and a good mastering system but then, you are altering the music to reduce the hiss.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, this is my thought - probably a faulty tube with lots of h-k leakage. I'd be interested in seeing what happens with a replacement - and considering it can take any ECC88/6DJ8, a JJ from Eurotubes (who tests for H-K leakage and noise!) may be worth looking into.

I don't want to put words in this mouth, but @SIY had positive things to say about some of the JJ 6DJ8's he has tested.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I don't want to put words in this mouth, but @SIY had positive things to say about some of the JJ 6DJ8's he has tested.
JJs in my guitar amp experience (where noise is way more of an issue because of the sheer number of gain stages) are generally very low noise. As far as matching datasheet spec... Not bad?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
JJs in my guitar amp experience (where noise is way more of an issue because of the sheer number of gain stages) are generally very low noise. As far as matching datasheet spec... Not bad?

My bass amp uses 12AX7's.

I usually use Sovteks.

dfuller

Major Contributor
My bass amp uses 12AX7's.

I usually use Sovteks.
Yep, my guitar amp (and those that I've worked on) use almost exclusively 12AX7s/ECC83s. But, JJ has a frame grid ECC83 (the E83CC) that is built like an ECC88 - and it's probably the single lowest noise 12AX7 I've come across.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Yeah it measures terrible but sound terrific. I am happy with Genalax e88cc tube
I will continue to mention this, as I think many people on here are solely on measurements. I myself am like this too, there’s a difference without a doubt.

But my light bulb moment was when I have an amp which retails for 150, I purchased it for 20 for my growing audio experience just to try something new.

It measures horrible, possibly the worst thing ever measured on here or in the top 10 worst. 36 db sinad, think spectrum was like 11 bits. Any way it was bad without a doubt.

However I really enjoy listening to it.

So when these guys come on here to talk smack about measurements or talk about how good something sounds even though it measured poorly. This all makes sense.

If something that measured the worst possible measurements and did not sound god awful to my ears, means that something can measure poorly and still sound ok.

Ok is enough for most people.

Again this is all coming from the same equipment Amir has used for all his measurements.

charleski

Major Contributor
If something that measured the worst possible measurements and did not sound god awful to my ears, means that something can measure poorly and still sound ok.
I recommend trying the Klippel Listening Test to see just how undiscriminating your ears really are. I doubt the 'Princess and the Pea' crowd who like to claim their golden ears are fine instruments can do much better than the 36dB I managed.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I recommend trying the Klippel Listening Test to see just how undiscriminating your ears really are. I doubt the 'Princess and the Pea' crowd who like to claim their golden ears are fine instruments can do much better than the 36dB I managed.
That maybe true, but as mentioned I am about measurements. I am not saying it sounds the best or better than what measures well. My main listening system is impeccable, I use a topping dac and pre amp cause they are superb. As stated by Amir have god tier measurements.

But again, the irony is even with a proper competently produced equipment, when I have my living room setup. I have 3 amps I use, one of them is this junk or poorly measuring one. Honestly everyday I do not know which one to choose. If I didn’t have to disconnect and reconnect everything I honestly see myself using the amp more often. But usually get about 8-10 days per month in.

Honestly wish I knew why this is the case, and take note I’m not an old man and it should be clear I have a foundation.

Point being once again, if something that bad doesn’t sound horrible then what really does?

Cant imagine there’s anything worse than this measurements wise.

You would just think it would be nasty to listen too and for 20 dollars, which is what it cost me I would have no issue throwing it out. I have absolutely no intentions to do so.

hjoseph7

You geeks need to put the charts and instruments down and listen or make some music. Please you are too damn negative bordering on law suits...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You geeks need to put the charts and instruments down and listen or make some music. Please you are too damn negative bordering on law suits...
We do fine by listening to music and getting deep into charts and stuff... at the same time... if you could believe that!
Thank you for your concern though!;)
Welcome aboard.
Your attitude may change if you decide to hang around, learn while listening to music, and be productive with your posts.

JSmith

Master Contributor
You geeks need to put the charts and instruments down and listen or make some music.
I use measurement data to make informed purchase decisions for gear that is used to listen to music.
Please you are too damn negative bordering on law suits...
If you find an opinion negative, welcome to life. Data doesn't lie, so there is that aspect. The only thing I see around here "bordering on lawsuits" is when a manufacturer misleads their customers on specifications or makes unsubstantiated grandiose claims that are not based in reality and they are found out.

JSmith

Beave

Major Contributor

Hi Harry, what prompted you to respond to a thread that hasn't had any activity for over a year? Having a bad day?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suppose he owns one and likes it and disagrees with findings he cannot comprehend.
That said... this device sounds fine. Nothing much wrong with it when you want a cheap tube amp.
Certainly better than the cheap Aliexpress and flea-bay ones.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I suppose he owns one and likes it and disagrees with findings he cannot comprehend.
That said... this device sounds fine. Nothing much wrong with it when you want a cheap tube amp.
Certainly better than the cheap Aliexpress and flea-bay ones.
Always the case. This one is fine, but once you really opened your wallet and found out what you paid for is mid grade with a premium price tag, that’s when the comments really start.

I guess it’s a copping mechanism.

Typically it works backwards though, they think we are idiots and rather than learn just continue down the same path by steering clear of unbiased data.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Data doesn't lie,...
Only if that DATA can speak for itself, though!
The fine art of data manipulation has managed to manifest itself in almost every data set that exists.

For example, the simple statement about data showing "just 6dB reduction" sounds much different than "only halved"!
Yes?;)

hjoseph7

Thanks to the positive reviews, I decided on the Schiit Magnius Balanced....

brydon10

I have a Vali 2 (non+) and I find it very powerful, I never need to use high gain for any of my headphones when feeding it a 2V source. I don't hear any distortion. To me it sounds basically identical to my solid state amps in every department. I don't hear any noise floor or anything.

Top Bottom