• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

DSJR

Major Contributor
Couldn't agree more. There are harmonics and perceived frequencies that when they hit you just right makes the world of difference. I think you're still way ahead of me on pinpointing what those are. I truly wish music and audio aesthetics were a better defined science and the things you just described could be better measured, evaluated, and compared in a more ubiquitous manner than just today's sinad graphs.
For me, it all came crashing down when I started attending smaller live pub jazz gigs. Not that jazz is a favourite genre for me, but the 'sounds' I was hearing were straight doiwn the line, not 'squidged up and charming' nor especially 'expressive' in a Domestic HiFi kind of way. What WAS expressive, were the intensive dynamics of trumpet, sax and drums and these experiences led me to the more natural dynamics of larger pro speakers.

What the schiit above has to do with a Schiit amp made so far in tiny numbers and not on the UK listings is beyond me. Apologies for the drift (again!).

Turcoda

Couldn't agree more. There are harmonics and perceived frequencies that when they hit you just right makes the world of difference. I think you're still way ahead of me on pinpointing what those are. I truly wish music was a better defined science and the things you just described could be better measured, evaluated, and compared in a more ubiquitous manner than today's sinad graphs.

You want those harmonics encoded on the CD, not added by an amp. What is wrong with you?
View attachment 205267

Can you quote where I stated that? I think someone failed horrendously at reading ; )

Turcoda

Classic confusion between sound production and sound reproduction. ;)
Somebody who proved they can't read or follow from Webster's dictionary just quoted somebody who also can't read. Classic example of blind leading the blind ; )

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you quote where I stated that? I think someone failed horrendously at reading ; )
Might have been me, sorry if i got that wrong.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somebody who proved they can't read or follow from Webster's dictionary just quoted somebody who also can't read. Classic example of blind leading the blind ; )
Another knee jerk reaction perhaps. It was a long week. :cool:

Turcoda

Another knee jerk reaction perhaps. It was a long week. :cool:
Na people just keep attacking my comments and totally misrepresenting what I say. It gives people the wrong impression. I'm trying to squelch that early. I think people tend forget that forums are equally a place to state opinions, regardless of whether they agree. Single posts with facepalm gifs just don't add any value to discussion threads.

Turcoda

Even though ASR aims to be a truly analytical thread, this thread in particular is just conjecture. Very few people own this amplifier, and those that do would most likely never send it off to Amir testing. Everything we're stating about this amp is sadly all conjecture. I would LOVE to have this amp reviewed and tested, but just about the implications of shipping such bulky monoblocks. I suppose only one would need to be sent off though, so there's that...

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
55 lb amps are relics these days - and I own one! I’d wager a Buckeye or March amp would kick its a** on the test bench. I love my old Class AB amps, but if I were buying new today, it would be Class D.
Even if that was the case, Usually audio products are not designed just for testing. I would venture to guess that Jason knows more about amp design than. most people on the planet. If he says the amp is unflappable I would guess it is. Apogee ribbons, electostats etc do not play nice with many amps. There is definitely a place for a serious SS power amp.

mSpot

@Koifla, do you hear transformer hum from your Tyrs? The topic came up on Head-Fi and SBAF. Some owners say no audible hum unless very close, for others a low hum but not audible at the listening position. In one case it was solved with a DC blocker, and another case where it was loud enough that Schiit is exchanging one unit.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
LOOOOL how did you get "gears" and the rest of that from the Webster definition? I question your ability to read. Also, "Musically" is not a word.
But Merriam Webster does not own a distortion analyzer! I think people need to measure Websters dictionary versus Rogets thesaurus and see which one has lower distortion. Then will have the true meaning of musical Bliss.

To be class AB or to be class D that is the question… Music as life has little meaning without audio measurements.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if that was the case, Usually audio products are not designed just for testing. I would venture to guess that Jason knows more about amp design than. most people on the planet. If he says the amp is unflappable I would guess it is. Apogee ribbons, electostats etc do not play nice with many amps. There is definitely a place for a serious SS power amp.
Testing is to see if the claims match reality.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Testing is to see if the claims match reality.
That is of course very reasonable. But in the context of your post I responded such. If this is as good as it is proported to be, there is definitely a market for such an amp. Maybe not for you at this time, nor for me, but there are others out here who would happily purchase these. Just because something measures better vs the next item, does not mean it’s going to make any difference in one’s system.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is of course very reasonable. But in the context of your post I responded such. If this is as good as it is proported to be, there is definitely a market for such an amp. Maybe not for you at this time, nor for me, but there are others out here who would happily purchase these. Just because something measures better vs the next item, does not mean it’s going to make any difference in one’s system.
On most of these points, we agree. My initial post along these lines said that 55 lb amps are relics, not that they could not perform or that no one wanted them. They are throwbacks to a time where mass correlated to how an amp would perform. Even Schiit describes the design as “old-skool”.

Again, my assertion was that newer Class D amps can be more performant and weigh much less than this design. Testing would confirm that. With that said, I still like big amps and still own some, but I likely would not invest in 110 lbs of Schiit.

noseyparkerfoe

ousi

Out of curiosity I bought a pair, with Freya+ . Was thinking about getting an ML585 or an Aesthetix MIMAS for "downsizing" but... oh well I came across this thread and Tyr got me interested. Its choke design is not common for transistors amps, but quite common for tube amps IIRC. If my other amp arrived later I can send mine to @amirm if he want to handle a 55lbs amp.

Turcoda

Out of curiosity I bought a pair, with Freya+ . Was thinking about getting an ML585 or an Aesthetix MIMAS for "downsizing" but... oh well I came across this thread and Tyr got me interested. Its choke design is not common for transistors amps, but quite common for tube amps IIRC. If my other amp arrived later I can send mine to @amirm if he want to handle a 55lbs amp.
Thanks! Please tell us your subjective listening experience once you do get it! I just ordered an AHB2, but it wont have nearly the power the Tyrs will have. Im almost regretting my decision because i own Maggies and i might need that extra power.

ousi

Thanks! Please tell us your subjective listening experience once you do get it! I just ordered an AHB2, but it wont have nearly the power the Tyrs will have. Im almost regretting my decision because i own Maggies and i might need that extra power.
Will do if I have time... My stuff usually sit for a week or so before I would have time to unbox and really try it out.

For reference I currently run a pair of Topping LA90 (mono mode) + Matrix Element X as preamp. Before that I was running Spectral DMC30SV + DMA300RS - which I just sold recently. I also still have an AHB2 + HPA4 that I used for a couple months, definitely can do an A/B comparison. Not to mention a "collectable" amp First Watt SIT-3, which is not matching my current speaker as it has to be used to drive efficient speakers which I had (Omega 3 XRS)

My speaker is a pair of Raidho XT2 so might not be 100% useful as it got some uncommon arrangement of speaker drivers.

Turcoda

Will do if I have time... My stuff usually sit for a week or so before I would have time to unbox and really try it out.

For reference I currently run a pair of Topping LA90 (mono mode) + Matrix Element X as preamp. Before that I was running Spectral DMC30SV + DMA300RS - which I just sold recently. I also still have an AHB2 + HPA4 that I used for a couple months, definitely can do an A/B comparison. Not to mention a "collectable" amp First Watt SIT-3, which is not matching my current speaker as it has to be used to drive efficient speakers which I had (Omega 3 XRS)

My speaker is a pair of Raidho XT2 so might not be 100% useful as it got some uncommon arrangement of speaker drivers.

Nice! Yeah no worries. I'm the same as well. Work keeps me busy - I have too many toys and not enough time in a week to use them all : )

Those speakers look sexy. I'm not sure what they're using, but it looks like some kind of ribbon or amt tweeters, but of which are of interest to me regardless. Im not sure how happy i am with my maggies yet. I wont know until I have a better amp to drive them. If the AHB2 doesn't do it for me im either trying the Tyrs or switching over to some ESL 9s. That's why I'd looooooove to hear that comparison!

ousi

Nice! Yeah no worries. I'm the same as well. Work keeps me busy - I have too many toys and not enough time in a week to use them all : )

Those speakers look sexy. I'm not sure what they're using, but it looks like some kind of ribbon or amt tweeters, but of which are of interest to me regardless. Im not sure how happy i am with my maggies yet. I wont know until I have a better amp to drive them. If the AHB2 doesn't do it for me im either trying the Tyrs or switching over to some ESL 9s. That's why I'd looooooove to hear that comparison!
Yea, those are ribbon tweeters. Maggies draw a lot of current IIRC. The AHB2 may not work as I found them sound very linear, excellent resolution but doesn't have as much "oomph" especially when volume turned up, or for large dynamic as in orchestra recordings. I didn't try running AHB2 as monoblock coz when I bought mine it was during the time it takes 4-6 weeks to get a new one. When I switched to the Spectral which was 300W/ch at 8ohm it's quite noticeable the dynamic is back; however, it lost a smidge of resolution and the bass does not sound as clean (a bit boomy).

So, my guess is you might find the AHB2 a bit light. The LA90 is very similar to the AHB2 but it felt like it has bit more dynamic "power", especially when running as monoblocks.

As always, those are just my subjective impression. I go back to the HPA4 + AHB2 as my benchmark (no pun intended) when comparing with my "new" gears. I never had any Maggies so I cannot really speak for sure, but my friend is a fan and he was running older Krell amps (not the new Krell) which are known arc-welders.

Top Bottom