• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit speaks

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The guys who Amir proved couldn't build a decent measuring amplifier to save their lives have decided to distract you with words about how measurements don't matter or something.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4961#post-16270533
Well this didn't make me mad... just dissapointed. He usually writes better, more entertaining material... hopefully next time.

The big irony is that they don't even make transducers, except for turntables with cartridges off the shelf. Aside from those, almost everything they make does actually sound pretty much the same, especially compared to speakers and headphones. Electronics are not identical sounding, but it is rare you can actually hear a difference other than a little noise or a problem. If you buy anything above the cheapest thing in a category you are likely buying it because you like the philosophy, prestige, aesthetic or story behind it. I have no problem with or illusion about that. Claiming we, and implicitly I do is a fallacy.

devopsprodude

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me the biggest irony is how so many of his biases are right there in their own selling points: made in USA, discrete components (when budget allows), no "switchers" (SMPS, again when budget allows), mega burrito filter on super exotic DAC chip (Yggy), etc. It's like this chapter self justifies their reason to exist. "You are biased, you fool yourselves, admit it!". Oh, the irony.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Except Amir has demonstrated that they can make a decent measuring (headphone) amp.
They probably paid somebody to design that and save face after being humiliated by Amir. They should really send him money since it's obvious the Heresy was basically designed by Amir and sells like Hotcakes.

OP
D

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Except Amir has demonstrated that they can make a decent measuring (headphone) amp.
Thank god for Einstein, otherwise one of Amir's positions on Schiit would be wrong.

Skeptic

It's so interesting how the objectivists that fully believe in measurements are so ignorant of the fact that while yes, measurements can definitely help evaluating an amp (as an example), that not the whole story. That's what Jason is saying.

Amir's measurements are just that. Raw data. Compare it as such, but most of all trust your ears. There are tons of other variables that make one like or dislike a piece of equipment.

Like with a car, 0-60, MPG, interior/exterior dimensions are only few of the measurements available. Few people buy a car purely based on that.

Zensō

Major Contributor
It's so interesting how the objectivists that fully believe in measurements are so ignorant of the fact that while yes, measurements can definitely help evaluating an amp (as an example), that not the whole story. That's what Jason is saying.

Amir's measurements are just that. Raw data. Compare it as such, but most of all trust your ears. There are tons of other variables that make one like or dislike a piece of equipment.

Like with a car, 0-60, MPG, interior/exterior dimensions are only few of the measurements available. Few people buy a car purely based on that.
I think, perhaps, that you ended up on the wrong forum. ;)

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I do say old chap, that is fascinating.

Skeptic

Have you actually read Jason's post?!? Or you just like to bash people?

ta240

Major Contributor
The guys who Amir proved couldn't build a decent measuring amplifier to save their lives ....

You mean the guys that built the amplifier that Amir said "I am going to put the Schiit Aegir on my recommended list for its solid engineering and design"?

This forum has so much usefulness, but unfortunately, sometimes it gets buried in just nasty bitterness.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you actually read Jason's post?!? Or you just like to bash people?
I did. My question is: what does an electronics designer know about sound perception by humans? Nothing about learning to design electronics overlaps that area other than some potentially faulty trial and error.

Go to the right expert for the right topic. Jason is not the expert in audibility. Ask him design questions. Not what sounds better.

Top Bottom