• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Saga Grounding and Hum Issues?

WHO23

Forum Donor
@amirm It is with deep regret to report that the new Schiit Saga + still has grounding issues (230V UK Plug)

Edit: Added pictures of the Saga +
908A48E3-5B23-4CD1-B265-F9AE98ABF2CB.jpeg

26401688-85D4-4B41-9E9D-A85A65866283.jpeg

4424D131-147C-4E51-A820-6B7E7CB905FC.jpegD167AB61-79E5-489D-957A-9FD7BCA5DD23.jpeg

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
If it is three-pronged outlet, disconnect the AC mains cable from the wall. Then use a voltmeter like shown in this thread and see if the center/ground pin in the outlet is connected to the metal chassis.

... and use a socket checker to confirm the ground recepticle is actually grounded. You'd be surprised how many residential spaces have incomplete or incorrectly wired/phased sockets.

WHO23

Forum Donor
... and use a socket checker to confirm the ground recepticle is actually grounded. You'd be surprised how many residential spaces have incomplete or incorrectly wired/phased sockets.
Okay will try to do that tomorrow. Thing is the Saga gives a buzzing noise even when I have the power socket turned off when plugged in.

Here's how it's currently plugged in (and still buzzing):
DE40E0E3-C7E3-4541-B862-B3F278D96540.jpeg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm It is with deep regret to report that the new Schiit Saga + still has grounding issues (230V UK Plug)
Gosh... And the company said it was a mistake they corrected... This is how one loses trust in a company.

WHO23

Forum Donor
I connected the ground to the chassis and used a flat screwdriver to scrape all areas near the screws as recommended in the Jotunheim hum thread. Now it no longer buzzes even when the pre-amp is turned off. There are still noise issues that I am having that I don't with a different passive TVC pre-amp but I won't disclose until further troubleshooting.

Last edited:

tranq

I connected the ground to the chassis and used a flat screwdriver to scrape all areas near the screws as recommended in the Jotunheim hum thread. Now it no longer buzzes even when the pre-amp is turned off. There are still noise issues that I am having that I don't with a different passive TVC pre-amp but I won't disclose until further troubleshooting.

I really hope you are communicating with Schiit on this. Jason can be reached easily via head fi, sbaf, or
email him directly at schiit. That stuff is all supposed to be checked before its put in the box. They aren't a perfect company, but I believe he cares. If mistakes are being made you need to let them and him know.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just report to related consumer protection association in your area. Doing this is no good. We need to fuck them up. We need a ban or a fine.

Hemi-Demon

I wonder if you posted this to Head-fi, picture and all, if you would get a faster response from Schiit? That is pretty damning that the ground issue, from the factory, remains a major safety issue.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wonder if you posted this to Head-fi, picture and all, if you would get a faster response from Schiit? That is pretty damning that the ground issue, from the factory, remains a major safety issue.

If it follows my experience there, the post will be removed or edited.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Really? When the first forum listed is "Sponsor Announcements and Deals", you'd think that things would be impartial. ;-)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If it follows my experience there, the post will be removed or edited.
And if it follows my experience, your posting privileges will be removed too. Those guys mean business when it comes to protecting their sponsors.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
With all of the bogus reviews and bullshit influencers on the web, I'm surprised that the FTC doesn't open investigations into "company-friendly" forum administrators who protect their sponsors without making it clear to readers that they're corporate shills.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With all of the bogus reviews and bullshit influencers on the web, I'm surprised that the FTC doesn't open investigations into "company-friendly" forum administrators who protect their sponsors without making it clear to readers that they're corporate shills.
What is remarkable is that many online bloggers are careful to provide full notice of where they got their gear but I have yet to see this on Head-fi. Or SBAF. You see that in the second line of every review I do for that reason (and transparency of course to readers).

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
What is remarkable is that many online bloggers are careful to provide full notice of where they got their gear but I have yet to see this on Head-fi. Or SBAF. You see that in the second line of every review I do for that reason (and transparency of course to readers).

It should be obligatory to declare, in the signature line of posts, if one is affiliated with a subject-related business activity. Example: Car site. Signature declaring you work for a dealer, regional or head office.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if it follows my experience, your posting privileges will be removed too. Those guys mean business when it comes to protecting their sponsors.

We need some sacred cows here, Amir. Even if it's totally arbitrary, we should make a list of protected manufacturers.

SamS_

Hi everyone!

As new member I would like to thank each and everyone involved here. Very interesting stuff.

I just bought a used shiit Saga preamp that buzzes like crazy. Seller of this unit has no obligation to take it back as it was done P2P. He made it quite clear that it was sold as is but denied it being a noisy or miss behaving unit in his system. So I’ve been in contact with Sonority Audio in the Netherlands to see if there is a way to remedy this situation. Unit was bought from them in June 4th, 2018 so there should be plenty of warranty time left. This was the last mail I got from them:
“Hell Sam,
ther is grounding on the Print, and it is conform EU regulations.
if you not agree you can ask Schiit.com and send them a message , they can explain you that all is good for sell in EU.

buzzing from a trafo can be by the trafo lamell is not ok anymore, the trafo can also maybe need to tight faster..
or it still can be the powercurrent in the house.

we can look to your Saga, but keep in mind we dont do this for fre, we have costs for this.

we always try to keep prices as low aas possible.

thanks,

With best regards,
Met vriendelijke groet
Dennis”

So it looks like no further discussion is wanted from my behalf and I’m going to start tearing apart this unit soon. I do have a question regarding this situation, has anyone made a separate PSU for this and if so is there any documentation? Also is there any information available on voltages and such or do I have to reverse engineer this from scratch (not my strongest suits) as I would like to know where do I cut the tracks and inject the correct voltages.

Thanks for the great forum.
Sam

WHO23

Forum Donor
Hi everyone!

As new member I would like to thank each and everyone involved here. Very interesting stuff.

I just bought a used shiit Saga preamp that buzzes like crazy. Seller of this unit has no obligation to take it back as it was done P2P. He made it quite clear that it was sold as is but denied it being a noisy or miss behaving unit in his system. So I’ve been in contact with Sonority Audio in the Netherlands to see if there is a way to remedy this situation. Unit was bought from them in June 4th, 2018 so there should be plenty of warranty time left. This was the last mail I got from them:
“Hell Sam,
ther is grounding on the Print, and it is conform EU regulations.
if you not agree you can ask Schiit.com and send them a message , they can explain you that all is good for sell in EU.

buzzing from a trafo can be by the trafo lamell is not ok anymore, the trafo can also maybe need to tight faster..
or it still can be the powercurrent in the house.

we can look to your Saga, but keep in mind we dont do this for fre, we have costs for this.

we always try to keep prices as low aas possible.

thanks,

With best regards,
Met vriendelijke groet
Dennis”

So it looks like no further discussion is wanted from my behalf and I’m going to start tearing apart this unit soon. I do have a question regarding this situation, has anyone made a separate PSU for this and if so is there any documentation? Also is there any information available on voltages and such or do I have to reverse engineer this from scratch (not my strongest suits) as I would like to know where do I cut the tracks and inject the correct voltages.

Thanks for the great forum.
Sam
Hey Sam,

I initially had buzzing issue on my new Saga+ but I've since fixed it. I use a UK 3-Pin socket and it's 230V 50Hz here. There is still a low level hum but no more annoying buzz. I scraped off the paint with screwdriver and grounded the IEC Mains Socket to the case.

Follow Amir's guide posted in a different thread for more info and pictures:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/schiit-saga-grounding-and-hum-issues.4737/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do have a question regarding this situation, has anyone made a separate PSU for this and if so is there any documentation?
When you open it, look at the voltage rating of the capacitors. If they are over 50 volts, don't even think about feeding it externally. My memory is hazy but I thought it was running at 100+ volts.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@SamS_ Do you live in the Netherlands ?
Mechanical buzzing from the device itself or hum/buzz in the speakers/headphones ?

Top Bottom