• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit release asgard3

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC, Bifrost 2 on unbalanced is even louder than the Bifrost Multibit it replaced on my system. You would need to do a digital volume attenuation on it to volume matched with another unbalanced DAC

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Bifrost had a slight boost to the low end

FYI (constructive criticsm for your non blind almost level matched sighted test procedure.
The Modi3, bifrost and UR12 all have no boost in the lows. Not even 0.1dB. So there cannot possibly be one that has boosted lows.
So when lows seem boosted the culprit usually is incorrect level matching.
For amplifiers it could be another cause as well.
So when you perceive a 'boosted' area when comparing DACs you can be quite sure the done observations are incorrect.

bboris77

FYI (constructive criticsm for your non blind almost level matched sighted test procedure.
The Modi3, bifrost and UR12 all have no boost in the lows. Not even 0.1dB. So there cannot possibly be one that has boosted lows.
So when lows seem boosted the culprit usually is incorrect level matching.
For amplifiers it could be another cause as well.
So when you perceive a 'boosted' area when comparing DACs you can be quite sure the done observations are incorrect.

You don't think that the FIR filter or the increased distortion can lead to a perceived boost to the lows?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You don't think that the FIR filter or the increased distortion can lead to a perceived boost to the lows?

I can tell with a 100% certainty that it can't.
For boosted bass you need either an increase in low frequency response or a tremendous amount of harmonic distortion added (and I am talking -40 to -50dB). Distortion levels of -70dB or lower do not make themselves audible as increased bass levels.
Bass response on all 3 devices is ruler flat from 30Hz to 15kHz at least.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the dark side:

I can compare it to my Steinberg UR12 USB interface that has an OK D/S implementation. The highs sound less brittle and more natural on the Bifrost 2, soundstage is different, less left and right and more integrated if that makes sense. The sense of space for acoustic/classic recordings is vastly superior on the Bifrost 2. The tonality is just a touch on the warm side. The more I listen to it, I am realizing that various instruments, especially snare drums have a much more natural timbre than on the D/S.

I knew you're gonna have that subjective impressions on it ;) I just summarized that in two descriptions based on my previous post here. #37 to be exact: incredible layering and tone depth. Just a test for you: if you perform a proper DBT volume match A/B it with a Modi 3 if you still have that DAC with you, all that magical sense of space and natural timbre goes away.

bboris77

From the dark side:

I knew you're gonna have that subjective impressions on it ;) I just summarized that in two descriptions based on my previous post here. #37 to be exact: incredible layering and tone depth. Just a test for you: if you perform a proper DBT volume match A/B it with a Modi 3 if you still have that DAC with you, all that magical sense of space and natural timbre goes away.
Nope, sold the Modi 3.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s okay. Enjoy your new DAC which is a great DAC for the price as far as build quality and sound quality go

Top Bottom