• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius vs Soncoz LA-QXD1 vs SMSL M300 MKII?

poimandres

I don’t have the soncoz so I can’t speak to that. I did try to order one but had issues with the soncoz folks getting back to me, albeit initially this was relatively shortly after they started shipping them.

Subsequently I also sent a pm to Ben and never received a response. I decided to try one last time and still haven’t received a response when trying to place an order with the soncoz team via email, that was in early June.

I then purchased a Modius. It has a 2 year warranty, 2 different output stages (1 for balanced and 1 for single ended) and it accepts an AES input. To boot I have always received timely and great customer service from schiit.

For me it was an easy choice.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you said you didn't really need a remote control, volume control, or Bluetooth, so why pay for them? Granted, it's only $30 or so, but money is money. :) FWIW, I had the M300 MKII in my headphone setup briefly and it's a nice little DAC, although the form factor is a bit weird. Nice to have that display.
Do any of those three have a remote and volume control?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These all seem to be the closest competitors to each other in the $200 price range with being a high performing balanced DAC. I'm having a hard time making a decision between the three, was hoping maybe you guys could help me make a decision. I'm also open to other products in the same price range that I didn't mention. Thanks!

If any has a remote, get that. Invaluable

dweekie

I was also looking at $200 balanced dacs and also looked at these three. I ended up with the Modius. I wanted USA shipping (some bad shipping experiences during the pandemic), something as simple as possible since I'll be tethered by a headphone cable (physical volume dial by hands reach is easier than any remote) and I didn't like the rectangular log shape of the SMSL (it just stacks/fits funny with my other equipment).

I think if you keep hesitating, you might as well get the SMSL for the most features since nothing else noticeably separates these devices. You can always under-utilize features, but you can't gain additional features as with the Modius.

The main negative with my decision is the stupid micro-usb cable. I've gone through so many of these cables in my lifetime (I'm sure Playstation 4 owners can relate to how they fail so easily). It's been 5 years since I got my first UBS-C device.... why is it so hard to kill micro-usb.... and on another note, why is it so hard to make a USB-C splitter to connect multiple USB-C devices into computers that only come with 1 USB-C port and nothing else?

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Schiit is made in USA and only requires one USB port but I'm not a fan of micro USB. Soncoz isn't made in USA but offers volume control, and better USB B and C. Which is objectively better in tests?

BobPM

I went with the Modius because it does not have volume control in the signal path and I don't need one. My system is Bluesound Node2 > Modius (via coax) > Freya+ (via XLR).

Both the Node and the Freya have remotes and volume so all I need is another one. The Modius' simplicity is an advantage to me since I think adding more and more complexity to the signal path can be problematic. I really think the sound is much improved over the Node2's internal DAC.

Testing was done with the Freya having the Node's RCA out to one input, the Modius via coax to another, and a turntable to a third. Next we put Springsteen's Kansas on the turntable, and started the same song on Tidal. I turned the Freya sideways so the lights could not be seen from the listening chair and my brother-in-law and I took turns switching between the modius/node/turntable. To deal with the volume disparity, the volume was turned to zero right before a switch and then the volume was increased after the switch was made. Not perfect but it seemed to work.

The turntable was clearly obvious due to the record noise. Between the modius and node, the modius was easily distinguishable by both of us and was preferred over both the turntable and node2's internal DAC.

As to the USB connector, the micro USB tested well by Amir, and in a stationary use, its long term reliability is really a non-issue. It may not be as robust as the USB C, but if you are not switching a lot, it doesn't make a difference. Also, don't USB C connectors have a small IC in the connector to handle switching depending on how its plugged in? What is the chip doing to the signal?

I love my Modius.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have a Modius, but it's only in use for my analog processing loop. I did use it for listening though and it's certainly fine. Lack of volume control is slightly annoying but you could either use a decent preamp or monitor controller or what have you if you want an analog volume control.

Currently it's connected to my ADI-2 via AES and it serves its purpose just fine there.

NormB

Following...

Turbotuff, what did you decide on?

I'm considering ripping some vinyl to my iMac.

Current setup is a Thorens TD 125 MkII, SME 3009 S2 improved tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, Musical Surroundings Nova III (with LPS), I'm thinking line out to Garageband or Audacity for 24bit/192k recordings.

Just need a DAC/USB unit and I'm considering the Schiit unit - price point AND ratings, mostly because, like the Nova III, it too is made in America.

Thanks.

Norm

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Following...

Turbotuff, what did you decide on?

I'm considering ripping some vinyl to my iMac.

Current setup is a Thorens TD 125 MkII, SME 3009 S2 improved tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, Musical Surroundings Nova III (with LPS), I'm thinking line out to Garageband or Audacity for 24bit/192k recordings.

Just need a DAC/USB unit and I'm considering the Schiit unit - price point AND ratings, mostly because, like the Nova III, it too is made in America.

Thanks.

Norm
I decide on the Soncoz LA-QXD1 and it's just okay. It has some weird bugs that I'm not too thrilled about. And the customer support has been lackluster. My Modi 3 was flawless.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Older thread, but I popped in because I was in the exact same boat as OP, looking for a balanced DAC around the $200 mark. I decided on the Modius. I will be using DAC input only, from my Mac, and I don't need/want volume control, BT, DSD, MQA, etc. I like the simple form factor of the Modius. I wouldn't mind toggle switches like their Modi 3 implements.

Being U.S. based I have admit to feeling more secure purchasing from a U.S company should any need for support arise. I almost pulled the trigger on the LA QXD1 but ordering from China was the deal breaker for me on that one.

Anyway, this has been a great informative thread for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom