• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius vs Soncoz LA-QXD1 vs SMSL M300 MKII?

turbotuff

Forum Donor
These all seem to be the closest competitors to each other in the $200 price range with being a high performing balanced DAC. I'm having a hard time making a decision between the three, was hoping maybe you guys could help me make a decision. I'm also open to other products in the same price range that I didn't mention. Thanks!

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You probably should provide more information about what features and sound quality characteristics that are important to you. That would help community members with providing input. There is also the SMSL SU-8 V2 pretty close to that price point that is worth considering.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
You probably should provide more information about what features and sound quality characteristics that are important to you. That would help community members with providing input. There is also the SMSL SU-8 V2 pretty close to that price point that is worth considering.
A balanced, high performing DAC is the main part. Bluetooth is of no use to me, I will be using USB 75% of the time, 25% will be with optical audio. A remote control is not a necessity, but I guess it could be nice to have. Most of the volume control would be done by my PC anyway.

dpippel

Sounds like the Modius might be your best bet. The LA-QXD1 would be good as well, but it has to ship from China. Where are you located? If you're in the States, the Schiit is in-stock and ready to ship from California. No fuss, no muss.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Sounds like the Modius might be your best bet. The LA-QXD1 would be good as well, but it has to ship from China. Where are you located? If you're in the States, the Schiit is in-stock and ready to ship from California. No fuss, no muss.
I'm in the states. I noticed SMSL products are in stock with Amazon Prime shipping, so technically that would be even quicker.

dpippel

I'm in the states. I noticed SMSL products are in stock with Amazon Prime shipping, so technically that would be even quicker.

Well, you said you didn't really need a remote control, volume control, or Bluetooth, so why pay for them? Granted, it's only $30 or so, but money is money. :) FWIW, I had the M300 MKII in my headphone setup briefly and it's a nice little DAC, although the form factor is a bit weird. Nice to have that display.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I can't help but feel that based on what you described I would get the Schiit. And I say that after having recently and currently owning SMSL DACs. I have owned Schiit gear including the original Gugnir that I upgraded the USB card in myself, the Asgard 2 and also the original Vahalla. The Modius is exactly what it sounds like you are asking for and it reviewed very well here as I suspect you know. Schiit would be my call in the situation you've described. Enjoy whatever you decide on and let us know.

MichaelP

Have you considered not doing volume control on your PC? You'd get better audio quality if you ran the DAC in exclusive mode at a fixed volume. What's the rest of your setup look like?

Last edited:
OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Have you considered not doing volume control on your PC? You'd get better audio quality if you ran the DAC in exclusive mode at a fixed volume. What's the rest of your setup look like?
I am currently using a Modi 3, and it has served me well. But since my power amp has XLR inputs, I figured I might as well take advantage of a balanced DAC.

I am going straight out of my DAC into my cCown power amp. I run either a Crown Macro-Tech or Com-Tech. Since volume control isn't the easiest with my power amp, so I usually just leave the input attenuators at 50% and then adjust the volume in the Amazon HD app on my Mac computer.

MichaelP

Got it! I have a Modi 3 with my computer setup too. Excellent DAC. I’m using it with a Schiit Magni for volume control, for headphones and powered monitors. If you unplug the headphones it acts as a normal preamp, allowing you to control the volume on the RCA outs. Have you considered an approach like this? I know it’s not balanced, but it would allow you to run Amazon HD at max volume (un-altered digital stream) -> Modi -> preamp -> amp.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M300 has better measurements than the Modius because it uses a more recent D/S chip in the AK4497. Also even tho you don’t use Bluetooth and a remote is a nice to have, your use case may change a year from now, so I always prefer to have more flexibility.

Veri

Master Contributor
AK4493 is actually more recent than the past flagship AK4497 :p

Tks

Major Contributor
SMSL due to bluetooth, if you don't care about the feature set, then either is fine.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
SMSL M200
That is what I am using and very, very happy with it to date. Absolutely never would I consider a DAC without Bluetooth, personally. I don't even bother with USB with the M200 as the Bluetooth sounds as good to my ears, and I am not inexperienced and I use top-notch speakers and headphones with very well recorded music.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I think I've narrowed it down to the Modius and the Soncoz. Hmmm... Soncoz has volume control and DSD. Does the Modius do anything better than the Soncoz?

Top Bottom