• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius versus Bifrost

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Below are screenshots from Schiit's website with measurements by Schiit. Modius has significantly fewer harmonics but has higher noise in the low frequencies. Bifrost shows higher harmonics but much lower noise floor. The question posed is "which DAC sounds better" or will you not notice any difference?
1628960152593.jpeg

1628960180280.jpeg

dfuller

Major Contributor
They're both probably audibly okay, but the Modius is without question the better design w/r/t distortion.

Kw6

Ok I thought Bifrost had better SINAD. But measurements do show Bifrost 2 has more 2nd harmonic distortion.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bifrost SINAD 95, Modius SINAD 112

Kw6

Ok thanks HiFidFan! Schiit always promote Bifrost superior so surprised!

bboris77

Ok thanks HiFidFan! Schiit always promote Bifrost superior so surprised!
In my opinion, It all comes down to their proprietary reconstruction filter that they call SuperMegaComboBurrito. It sounds very slightly different to a typical sigma-delta filter, at least to me. This small difference is somewhat apparent in percussive instruments such as cymbals and hi-hats.

For all other purposes, it is impossible for me to pick out the Bifrost 2 in a level-matched blind test against a well-designed D/S DAC such as the EL DAC II.

I think that the part of the satisfaction in owning and using components like the Bifrost 2 and the Asgard 3 comes from the knowledge that they are customized designs that use proprietary technology and, almost exclusively, discrete parts. In theory, this could mean that the designer had more control of how the final products sounds/performs. Whether this is true or not is up for debate.

Kw6

I see! Are Schiit dac products reliable. I think Bifrost 2 is at a good price point.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I own the original Bifrost with the 4490 DAC card installed - optical and coax inputs only. I also have the Modius and subjectively think it sounds better. The Bifrost 2 has the remote control that allows input switching as well as phase reversal - which could be appealing. The 1 khz peak looks narrower than the peak in the Modius - don't know if that translates to something heard or not. I was hoping someone had compared both and could comment on pluses and minuses between them - may not be anything other than the remote control.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I own the original Bifrost with the 4490 DAC card installed - optical and coax inputs only. I also have the Modius and subjectively think it sounds better. The Bifrost 2 has the remote control that allows input switching as well as phase reversal - which could be appealing. The 1 khz peak looks narrower than the peak in the Modius - don't know if that translates to something heard or not. I was hoping someone had compared both and could comment on pluses and minuses between them - may not be anything other than the remote control.

"Compared" in what way? I provided links to Amir's tests of both DACs. The features and spec's of both are available on Schitt's website (also linked above).

Lawyrup843

I couldn’t tell you anything about measurement. Both of these dacs sound great and improved my cd player’s SQ. But I will admit after having both the modius and the bifrost, the bifrost won me over.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
"Compared" in what way? I provided links to Amir's tests of both DACs. The features and spec's of both are available on Schitt's website (also linked above).
Amir tested the same Bifrost I own except the one tested had the firmware upgraded and the Multibit card installed. The Bifrost 2 is a different animal that also includes balanced outputs - which makes it directly comparable to the Modius.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I couldn’t tell you anything about measurement. Both of these dacs sound great and improved my cd player’s SQ. But I will admit after having both the modius and the bifrost, the bifrost won me over.
Can you describe what caught your attention about the Bifrost 2 that won you over.

Lawyrup843

Can you describe what caught your attention about the Bifrost 2 that won you over.
So to be clear I was using balanced cables both with the modius and the bifrost. I had been listening to the modius for about 2 months before I got the bifrost. The only reason I upgraded was because I figured if it sucked I can return and just take the restocking fee as the cost for auditioning. Anyway I decided to listen to some Queen on the modius first just to try my best at having a comparison for the bifrost. Then I plugged in the bifrost and (same volume position on my Freya) played the same song and instantly noticed improvement. It was louder and clearer, I had to turn the volume down a few clicks. Then I moved on the genre of music and every track sounded good. I won’t say that every track sounded wayyyyyy better than the modius but it was just as good or Better for most. I would highly recommend either product but I’m happy I got the bifrost. Could be my mind playing tricks on me but that’s life, not just this hobby.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
So to be clear I was using balanced cables both with the modius and the bifrost. I had been listening to the modius for about 2 months before I got the bifrost. The only reason I upgraded was because I figured if it sucked I can return and just take the restocking fee as the cost for auditioning. Anyway I decided to listen to some Queen on the modius first just to try my best at having a comparison for the bifrost. Then I plugged in the bifrost and (same volume position on my Freya) played the same song and instantly noticed improvement. It was louder and clearer, I had to turn the volume down a few clicks. Then I moved on the genre of music and every track sounded good. I won’t say that every track sounded wayyyyyy better than the modius but it was just as good or Better for most. I would highly recommend either product but I’m happy I got the bifrost. Could be my mind playing tricks on me but that’s life, not just this hobby.
Thanks for the details. Just curious - do you find the phase reversal function useful?

Lawyrup843

Thanks for the details. Just curious - do you find the phase reversal function useful?
Happy to help. That function is something I diddled with when I first got it but didn’t notice any improvement so I just leave it on normal. I honestly don’t understand the benefit of it. Maybe if I had bad recordings it might help but everything I listen to is a digital source.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Happy to help. That function is something I diddled with when I first got it but didn’t notice any improvement so I just leave it on normal. I honestly don’t understand the benefit of it. Maybe if I had bad recordings it might help but everything I listen to is a digital source.
As I understand the phase reversal thing - it has something to do with the perception of impact of instruments. My Cardas test record has some tracks demonstrating in phase and out of phase percussion instruments. The master recording could be in phase or out of phase depending how it was mastered. The switch would allow you to change the playback for greater accuracy if needed - applies to any recording. The best place for this is in your preamp to cover all sources, but if digital only then the Bifrost switch is certainly sufficient.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Amir tested the same Bifrost I own except the one tested had the firmware upgraded and the Multibit card installed. The Bifrost 2 is a different animal that also includes balanced outputs - which makes it directly comparable to the Modius.

Except for Multibit vs. Delta-Sigma. And other features. I wouldn't say "directly comparable", they differ in many ways. Not the least of which is $500.

Unless testing is done ABX, blind, with level matching, subjective listening opinions are just that. And unless the Bifrost 2 is broken some way from a design/engineering standpoint, I doubt many could tell differences in SQ. JMO.

Last edited:
OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Except for Multibit vs. Delta-Sigma. And other features. I wouldn't say "directly comparable", they differ in many ways. Not the least of which is $500.

Unless testing is done ABX, blind, with level matching, subjective listening opinions are just that. And unless the Bifrost 2 is broken some way from a design/engineering standpoint, I doubt many could tell differences in SQ. JMO.
Let me be clear - when I say ”directly comparable ” I am referring to inputs and outputs. I am asking for subjective listening - I posted Schiit’s own testing which shows some technical differences. A full fledged test would be nice but has not happened for the Bifrost 2 as far as I know. BTW, I am not against double blind testing or level matching - I like to keep an open mind and consider technical as well as listening.

Top Bottom