• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius + Magnius vs Topping D90Se + A90

hexxpunk

Hello all. I currently have a Topping D90Se + A90 feeding into my Focal Clear Mg. I bought them all together, going for an endgame setup. However, the more I have learned and read on this forum, it seems like, although the Topping are on top of the measuring heap, I could probably get the exact same performance out of a much cheaper system. So I am looking at selling the Topping stack and buying the Schiit Modius and Magnius stack. Wanting to go with an American brand for the warranty service.

My question is, am I correct in assuming that I would not notice an audible difference between the two setups?

I noticed from Amir's review of the Modius that "There is a bit of weakness at lower frequencies where noise floor goes up." The Modius on sale now uses the ESS ES9028 chip, so I know the measurements won't be accurate to what I will get. If its similar to the new Modi+, though, it might have issues with the filter. But would any of that actually be audible with any recording?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had all of those, if you want to save money, sell the d90se and get a used D10b for around $100. I currently run an A90d with D10b DAC and if you don't need the connectivity, you'll never notice a difference.
The A90 and D version sound the same, just a wee bit more balanced power. Only the he6se I've had that could make use of the difference with eq and a -4db preamp reduction. Keep the amp, but if your using a default filter and just use USB, grab the D10b dac.

jae

Major Contributor
I would just keep it unless your financial situation really requires you have spare cash right now. You made the decision to spend the money, you have one of the best, nothing to be too upset. If I was getting rid of that "stack" I would want a single device like the Topping DX3/DX7 PRO+ or RME ADI-2 DAC. Personally I find it superfluous to have extra devices and extra cables when they are serving no meaningful function.

OP
H

hexxpunk

I appreciate the feedback, but does anyone know the answer to the original question? Would the Schiit stack be audibly worse than the current Topping stack?

AudiOhm

My question is, am I correct in assuming that I would not notice an audible difference between the two setups?
No...

Ohms

Top Bottom