• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Flickering USB input LED but sound is fine

ewsclass66

I noticed on my 1 day old Modius DAC that the input indicator led is flickering when the USB input is selected. I didn't notice as it was perfect at first and the sound has not been affected at all. I have messaged Schiit but am wondering why/how this is possible and whether it is ok to keep using it?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
pretty sure this is b/c of lack of power from the pc usb port you're using. have you tried also powering it with dedicated usb power input??

OP
E

ewsclass66

pretty sure this is b/c of lack of power from the pc usb port you're using. have you tried also powering it with dedicated usb power input??
I have tried several different power supplies. It's just wierd it only flickers when the usb input is selected

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
I have tried several different power supplies. It's just wierd it only flickers when the usb input is selected
it sure is and I¨m stumped since the device should have ample power with both usb pc data + usb power attached. maybe a single-led vu meter *hah*

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's probably OK to use it but no guarantees. :D

IcyMidnight

I got a Modius a couple of weeks ago and saw the same issue. Everything was fine to begin with, but eventually the digital input micro USB port died. In the end the light would flicker but the Modius stopped being detected by my computer (I tried multiple computers and multiple cables to no avail). I've got the USB cable going to power port now and am awaiting my replacement.

I don't understand how any product in the year 2020 is still unironically made with micro USB ports when USB-C has been around for over half a decade, is the modern USB standard, and is a massively better connector. It's shameful that Schiit is still using micro USB on any of their products and still claiming high quality, let alone the ones that cost $200+. :facepalm:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got a Modius a couple of weeks ago and saw the same issue. Everything was fine to begin with, but eventually the digital input micro USB port died. In the end the light would flicker but the Modius stopped being detected by my computer (I tried multiple computers and multiple cables to no avail). I've got the USB cable going to power port now and am awaiting my replacement.

I don't understand how any product in the year 2020 is still unironically made with micro USB ports when USB-C has been around for over half a decade, is the modern USB standard, and is a massively better connector. It's shameful that Schiit is still using micro USB on any of their products and still claiming high quality, let alone the ones that cost $200+. :facepalm:
It's obviously done to hit that $199 price point. IMO, you're overreacting to a connector on a desktop DAC. It's a plug in once and rarely move designed item. As a society we used Micro-USB ports for years plugging them in/out everyday over millions (maybe more?) of phones. The fact that you had a faulty one, and I'm sure it will be remedied by the company, isn't a reason to shit on the companies overall quality or design.

The fact is the Modius is a bargain relative to its market.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Durability

Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal,[4] the mini-USB receptacle increases this to 5,000 cycles,[4] and the newer Micro-USB[4] and USB-C receptacles are both designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal.[5] To accomplish this, a locking device was added and the leaf-spring was moved from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. This change was made so that the connector on the less expensive cable would bear the most wear.

bennetng

Major Contributor
I had a problem that several USB 3 thumb drives were only able to run at USB 2 speed on my PC (both front panel on the case and sockets on the motherboard) after years of use. I was not sure if it is caused by the thumb drives themselves or the motherboard, or driver issues. At the end I figured out it was caused by invisible dust and dirt on the sockets. Applied contact cleaning fluid on either the socket or the plug, re-plug several times and problem solved LOL. Not that sensitive with USB 1 or 2 devices.

threni

Major Contributor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Durability

Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal,[4] the mini-USB receptacle increases this to 5,000 cycles,[4] and the newer Micro-USB[4] and USB-C receptacles are both designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal.[5] To accomplish this, a locking device was added and the leaf-spring was moved from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. This change was made so that the connector on the less expensive cable would bear the most wear.
I use sacrificial connectors on devices I feel are going to get a lot of plugging and unplugging.
I do feel there should be a law against/warning on devices which have connectors soldered directly onto the motherboard rather than attached via wires as they are often a weak spot. I'm not going to say they do it on purpose...

PipHelix

But you bought it anyway. Is it what you hoped it would be? I ask because I‘m considering the Modius not least because the price commitment isn’t bad at all.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But you bought it anyway. Is it what you hoped it would be? I ask because I‘m considering the Modius not least because the price commitment isn’t bad at all.
It's lived up to what it claimed to be IMO. Definitely worth $199.

IcyMidnight

I mean it works so far. Bits go in, sounds come out. The only reason I went with this over the Modi is the XLR connectors. Is it overkill? Totally :p

The things I don't like about it:
1. As discussed, Micro USB is so 2015. Makes the thing feel cheap/outdated.
2. I use two inputs. Having to cycle through all the inputs with the single button to swap between two is unfortunate. I would have prefered 4 buttons.

Do I regret my purchase? No. Do I think the thing is a bargain? Heck no. Am I ok with it? Yep!

Last edited:

IcyMidnight

It's obviously done to hit that $199 price point. IMO, you're overreacting to a connector on a desktop DAC. It's a plug in once and rarely move designed item. As a society we used Micro-USB ports for years plugging them in/out everyday over millions (maybe more?) of phones. The fact that you had a faulty one, and I'm sure it will be remedied by the company, isn't a reason to shit on the companies overall quality or design.

The fact is the Modius is a bargain relative to its market.

A USB-C port costs on the order of one extra dollar to implement. You can buy USB-C DAC dongle for $16 on Amazon. The margins on a $200 DAC are not nearly that thin. I don't think calling out out dated stuff/cut corners is unreasonable when companies are marketing themselves as premium.

Top Bottom