• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius E DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 21.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 139 60.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 35 15.3%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Schiit Modius E balanced USB DAC. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $229.
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax review.jpg

The "E" edition swaps the AKM DAC chip for ESS ES9028. See my review of the normal Schiit Modius here. This is a stripped down DAC with no display or remote. It doesn't even have a power button! Speaking of power, you can either self-power it through USB or using a supplied, external 5 volt adapter:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax back panel review.jpg

For some reason, the USB class for Schiit DACs confuses ASIO emulator I use so most of the tests you are about to see use coax S/PDIF input. This should not impact operation of the unit unless you use ASIO.

Schiit Modius E Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard with either XLR or RCA:

Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax measurement.png

Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax RCA measurement.png

Kind of strange to see XLR output not bettering RCA. As is, we have slipped about 3 to 4 dB wroth of SINAD compared to last generation. This lands the Modius E in "excellent" category but way below many of its competitors:

Best balanced dac USB stereo review 2023.png

Noise performance presents the same somewhat odd results:

Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax DNR measurement.png

While this achieves transparency, again, we are still short a few dB vs what the competitors are doing.

IMD distortion vs level unfortunately shows some sign of increased distortion at mid levels -- something the competitors have resolved for some 2+ years:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax IMD measurement.png

Edit: forgot multitone:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac USB Multitone measurement.png

Linearity is good:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax Linearity measurement.png

The last generation had some issues with jitter. This generation is better but still not as clean as it should be:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax USB Jitter measurement.png

DAC filter is good as far as attenuation it provides:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax filter measurement.png

Resulting in very good wideband THD+N vs frequency:
Schiit Modius E Balanced stereo audio dac coax THD+N vs Frequency measurement.png

Conclusions
I gave the last generation Modius my highest award back in 2020. Alas, time has gone by and competitors have squeezed more performance out of similar silicon. Meanwhile Modius E takes a step back in performance. All in all, performance remains good enough to provide transparency but short of engineering excellence we like to see in a sea of strong competitors.

While I won't purchase the Schiit Modius E myself, if you like the company, its brand and look with other Schiit gear you may have, then this is a fine option.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Disappointing to see it go back. This should make the AKM version more valuable in the used market.

PS: for those that don't know, it is not the DAC chip fault, but rather the implementation, as shown below with the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Ziroz

What is the chip in this DAC, ES9028PRO or ES9028Q2M?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a Schiit fanboy

(If someone drinks alcohol in all YT videos, I find that very likeable.
Moreover, I can identify well with such a person.
As soon as Schiit makes a competitor product to the G5, the topping ends up on eBay.)

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was looking forward to purchase their gear but Reddit users criticize their customer support is trash(EU) - regardless, thank you for your review Amir. :)
I cannot confirm this.
I have now bought three devices from Schiit Europe, and am satisfied with the support.
Behind Schiit Europe is a Dutch company. These people are aloof and reserved by nature.
You can always turn to Schiit USA.
They are also happy to help. I have only positive things to report from there.

usern

I have now bought three devices from Schiit Europe, and am satisfied with the support.
Behind Schiit Europe is a Dutch company.
Is Schiit Europe a new thing? When I was looking for an amp few years ago, Schiit availability in Europe was non existent. Had to import if you wanted one.

Reactions: pdb

Veri

Master Contributor
Is Schiit Europe a new thing? When I was looking for an amp few years ago, Schiit availability in Europe was non existent. Had to import if you wanted one.
Not that new. Site looks a bit different from some years ago though. Also stock isn't always all that big, especially so on new Schiit products.

Reactions: pdb

PeteL

Major Contributor
Is this the most affordable currently selling transparent balanced DAC with North-American support on the market?

usern

Is this the most affordable currently selling transparent balanced DAC with North-American support on the market?
Some audio interfaces could challenge that

PeteL

Major Contributor
Some audio interfaces could challenge that
Good Point, They may not be transparent by Amir Standards but probably are for most of us in real life. I personally use an Audient ID14, first gen, at my desk for all my uses and I have no way to know for sure that there are no audible artefacts beside the fact that I do not have audible (by me) background noise. I doubt that my speakers and headphones would sound significantly different but I don't know. And this thing is 8 year old with no sort of issues whatsoever, but I am fully aware that it wouldn't be "competitive". Now... Should I care?

ThatGuyYouKnow

Nice. They are getting better and better. I feel as though Schiit could currently make a really impressive DAC that is priced somewhere between the Modius E and the Bifrost 2/64.

Top Bottom