• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The obvious competition here is the Soncoz unit. For most North American and Eurozone buyers going the Schiit route means avoiding the obvious hassles of China Post which I can attest from personal experience are not inconsiderable these days, and on the other hand there's Schiit's legenary quality to consider...

Even though this one is plugged into low voltage and almost certainly can't electrocute anyone, I'd still opt for the Soncoz.

Theriverlethe

The obvious competition here is the Soncoz unit. For most North American and Eurozone buyers going the Schiit route means avoiding the obvious hassles of China Post which I can attest from personal experience are not inconsiderable these days, and on the other hand there's Schiit's legenary quality to consider...

Even though this one is plugged into low voltage and almost certainly can't electrocute anyone, I'd still opt for the Soncoz.

Electrocution might have an interesting sound, but I suspect this is hyperbolic.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

So, fair to say you aren't a fan? ;)

Zensō

Major Contributor
By the way, this kind of makes me public enemy number one in both camps...SBAF thinks I am a traitor and ASR thinks I am deluded for thinking that the Asgard 3 makes my HD800s sound better :)

You made me smile. I feel the same way. Like so many other arenas in the world these days, taking the middle road makes you public enemy number one in both opposing camps. It's silly that this goes on in audio, which is supposed to be for fun (or so I thought, anyway).

Celty

So, fair to say you aren't a fan? ;)
LOL, well both the review by Amir and your postings here have won me over as a fan. GREAT JOB!

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have to wonder about people complaining about "oh it only does 24/192KHz"... I get that people care about tech specs here, but I don't believe there is any audible difference, and I have yet to see any music distributed above 24/192.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad we can make you happy. I promise, there is more to come.

Is there a streaming DAC, possibly Roon capable to come....? ;)

- Rich

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have to wonder about people complaining about "oh it only does 24/192KHz"... I get that people care about tech specs here, but I don't believe there is any audible difference, and I have yet to see any music distributed above 24/192.
Well, I have a library of DSD files I have purchased that I like to play natively. Roon can convert them to PCM but sucks my Core i5 CPU dry doing so. And it shifts the level in the process.

AudioTodd

LOL, well both the review by Amir and your postings here have won me over as a fan. GREAT JOB!
Me too. EITR, WYRD (as a repeater), Modi 3, Modi Multibit (to see if there is any truth to the “magic” of MB), 2 SYS, 3 LOKI, Saga OG, + — and S on the way!!! Fun stuff to play and experiment with without breaking the budget. Several of these products helped me bust my illusions that I could hear much of what I thought I did. I have to admit, though, that I’ve never heard the cries of “plankton.”

Hey @T.M.Noble - a full size more featured LOKI please???

WonderBoy

plankton just an attempt to describe it, you'll know when you hear it -- cries? nah

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Me too. EITR, WYRD (as a repeater), Modi 3, Modi Multibit (to see if there is any truth to the “magic” of MB), 2 SYS, 3 LOKI, Saga OG, + — and S on the way!!! Fun stuff to play and experiment with without breaking the budget. Several of these products helped me bust my illusions that I could hear much of what I thought I did. I have to admit, though, that I’ve never heard the cries of “plankton.”

Hey @T.M.Noble - a full size more featured LOKI please???
I believe Jason has mentioned in the past about playing around with a bigger Loki with more goodies. No dates as of yet but I would imagine that is something coming down the pipeline.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting to see the growth of Schiit into a mature audio business by adapting to the needs of the market. From 1 ply to 3 ply. I hope the future doesn't stink, and covid doesn't flush any sales or staff down the pan.

Jokes aside, be interesting to know the mean age of purchasers of schiit gear compared to say PS audio or similar. My guess is it would be about 10-15 years lower. Lusting for your old mans hi-fi anybody?

Top Bottom