• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, I wonder if they will have a streaming version with the “Schitt Pi” they were talking about in an interview a while back :)

- Rich

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, I wonder if they will have a streaming version with the “Schitt Pi” they were talking about in an interview a while back :)

- Rich
Schiit hates software, they stated that several times on their thread/book, so I doubt that very much. Would be cool though. Maybe a position like "it is there to connect to Pis but we won't support it at all, good luck", but I still doubt that.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They should have either used USB-B or USB-C
Micro USB in 2020 is not a deal breaker but definitely to be avoided imo.

Edit: seems like they had to use it for costs.

“Though you’re still using micro-USBs!” someone yells. “What a pain in the ass.”

And yeah, we hear you. It’s getting close to the point where we’ll start introducing products with USB-C, but for right now, they’re still a bit dear for a product at the Modius’ price point. We’re really, really, really trying to deliver huge value here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3991#post-15651815

Last edited:

BobPM

I need a DAC for my node 2, and find this and the SONCOZ appropriately priced in comparison to the node. Since the node 2 only has coax and toslink out, I focus on that format. Accordingly, I am surprised by the better Toslink performance, it seems to me that coax is usually the better option. Any ideas on the coax issue with the Modius?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit hates software, they stated that several times on their thread/book, so I doubt that very much. Would be cool though. Maybe a position like "it is there to connect to Pis but we won't support it at all, good luck", but I still doubt that.

They were talking about in a video interview but, It has been a while, so probably not.
They use software to control their amplifiers. I think most "hardware" companies are now hardware/software companies.

- Rich

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a drawback nonetheless. I like DSD. And some people like to use a media player which upsamples PCM.

Not having MQA is a drawback... Not having a 1000 other features is a drawback. The reality is that most music is PCM and going past 16/44.1 is quickly hitting diminishing returns.

It's $199 for a fully balanced DAC.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not having MQA is a drawback... Not having a 1000 other features is a drawback. The reality is that most music is PCM and going past 16/44.1 is quickly hitting diminishing returns.

It's $199 for a fully balanced DAC.

Yes, invest the saved money in Roon, and if MQA floats your boat, you can do it in software with any DAC.

- Rich

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They were talking about in a video interview but, It has been a while, so probably not.
They use software to control their amplifiers. I think most "hardware" companies are now hardware/software companies.

- Rich
I think firmwares is where they are and a full blown software with GUI crosses their line.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a drawback nonetheless. I like DSD. And some people like to use a media player which upsamples PCM.

Upsampling seems to be a silly artificat for modern audio - except for some filtering issues. It has been discussed in detail here at ASR. Upsampling can increase the bitrate, but it cannot actually improve audio quality, because it doesn't replace missing information.

Of course, there those who believe that upsampling removes "wooliness" in lower frequencies! If one is a woolie-phobe, I say go for it.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Regardless, I suspect more people will go with choice than a one trick pony. It's not the 70s' where you have to choose Beta or VHS.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
What does "Assembled in the USA" exactly mean?

Seems to be little ambiguity when I compare with gear from JDS Labs and Geshelli Labs.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think firmwares is where they are and a full blown software with GUI crosses their line.

That line has been crossed by AVR/AVP companies long ago. However, I think many are having problems in their basic hardware design and integrating all the black-boxes that comprise these complex devices.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Seems to be little ambiguity when I look gear from JDS Labs and Geshelli Labs.

ATI for example states "Designed, engineered, and assembled" in the USA.
This is common and often includes "using globally sourced parts".
I don't think it is possible to build electronics with all parts made in the USA.

- Rich

dinglehoser

Forum Donor

Seems to be little ambiguity when I look gear from JDS Labs and Geshelli Labs.

Per the product page:

Designed and Built in California
By “designed and built in California" this is what we mean: the vast majority of the total production cost of Modius—chassis, boards, transformers, assembly, etc—goes to US companies manufacturing in the US. Our chassis are made minutes from our facility. Our PCBs are done just over the hill from us. Yes, the wall-warts aren't made here, but there's some give and take at this price point.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
ATI for example states "Designed, engineered, and assembled" in the USA.
This is common and often includes "using globally sourced parts".
I don't think it is possible to build electronics with all parts made in the USA.

- Rich

But it's possible to list percentages of components/origins.
Also, the definition of "assembled" is ambiguous.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Per the product page:

Designed and Built in California
By “designed and built in California" this is what we mean: the vast majority of the total production cost of Modius—chassis, boards, transformers, assembly, etc—goes to US companies manufacturing in the US. Our chassis are made minutes from our facility. Our PCBs are done just over the hill from us. Yes, the wall-warts aren't made here, but there's some give and take at this price point.

Why doesn't it just say this on the back of the box ("Designed and Built in California").

dfuller

Major Contributor
But it's possible to list percentages of components/origins.
Also, the definition of "assembled" is ambiguous.
The reason they say "assembled" is because of California's extremely strict labeling laws. It's basically impossible to source components (resistors, caps, silicon) from US manufacturers because it just isn't made here any more for the most part.

Top Bottom