• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Newk Yuler

Schiit is improving because they're adjusting to conform to the poor performance exposure they've gotten from ASR. This kind of adjustment is a huge win for consumers. An excellent example of exactly how a free market is suppose to work. They bought an APx555 for obvious reasons, display their improved measurements on product pages and then send new products to Amir to confirm the measurements. Schiit deserves to be congratulated and appreciation should reflect in sales. We should be looking forward to ASR's influence on other brands and pay attention to those who just make excuses for poor measurements.

Svperstar

Common sense with Schiit said don't use their USB because of bad performance this one flips that. Interesting.

bboris77

Just imagine a DAC stack with those two brands. "Do you like my Schitt Topping?"
I have one of those....the Asgard 3 and the the D70. It is an awesome sounding combo. Except it is flipped upside down - Topping goes on the bottom cause that Schiit gets very hot lol.

EDIT: By the way, this kind of makes me public enemy number one in both camps...SBAF thinks I am a traitor and ASR thinks I am deluded for thinking that the Asgard 3 makes my HD800s sound better :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I emailed Schiit about whether or not the XLR outs are differential or impedance balanced, and I'm happy to report that they are true differential outputs!

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We need a "branch" of ASR that does well-designed blind listening tests with a number of listeners to answer such questions.... I wonder if maybe some university psychology department or engineering-psych-human factors-music school interdisciplinary kind of thing would be interested in hosting such a research program? With cooperation of a local Audio Society and - why not?- a local world-class group of musicians like an important orchestra or respected string quartet...? Is there anyone present here on ASR that is on a university faculty? Anyone with ambition to try to put something together? The $peaker cable outfits would probably send in a squad of hitmen.....
I am, but it would be hard to justify the budget when the hypothesis is that no one will be able to tell the difference. Maybe one could run a couple tests with relatively inexpensive gear, but it wouldn’t be sustainable. Universities usually don’t have that type of equipment or dedicated spaces either (mine doesn’t), so someone could probably do a better job with a few acquaintances at home.

theoblue80

But it supports only up to 24/192 files and no DSD? This is a major drawback in comparison to Soncoz.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit finally has come around and started paying attention to reducing noise and distortion.

My concern is using micro USB connections. They are not very robust. Several times I've had to give the connectors on compatible cables a squeeze to get them to connect. The fix isn't a big deal, but sometimes troubleshooting the problem is.

Last edited:

AudioTodd

What a great time to be an audiophile! Now that they‘ve got their Schiit together, many more people can afford a system based on USA made components with performance we could only have dreamed of back when I started in this hobby! I’m thrilled to see it! Kinda like how great it is now for car guys what with the incredible ND Mazda MX-5 Miata, Subaru WRX, et al, at real human price points! The kiddies today do not know how great they have it!!!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Maybe not hole in one but I respect the performance for the price also considering it's a balanced dac.
Most impressive part is the jitter with usb. Very clean!
There are weakness points for sure, imd isn't impressive enough and toslink and coax inputs don't have pleasing enough jitter.
Pretty good, pretty good.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I also was quite impressed by this. I thought their Unison was complete marketing nonsense, but when you see it performing so well in this device, just maybe there is some merit to it? In any case it's not hurting anything :):cool:
For sure.

Darwin

I'm really surprised how low this thing's jitter is. They have really stepped it up. I really think this site has a lot to do with it too, but it would never be admitted.

They sent it to him for testing. I’d say that’s an admission of sorts.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
imd isn't impressive enough and toslink and coax inputs don't have pleasing enough jitter
Notice that IMD was not measured with USB, so possibly the Toslink SPDIF jitter had some bad influence on the IMD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom