• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Schiit hates software, they stated that several times on their thread/book, so I doubt that very much. Would be cool though. Maybe a position like "it is there to connect to Pis but we won't support it at all, good luck", but I still doubt that.

They should sell the Schiit Pi as just a DIY case that stacks with Schiit gear and cosmetically matches.

Make the user provide everything else.

cheapsoundguy

A couple quick questions:

Can anyone confirm if this still using the AK4493 chip?

Also, can anyone try test connecting this to the BlueSound Node (latest version) via USB. Thanks!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A couple quick questions:

Can anyone confirm if this still using the AK4493 chip?

Also, can anyone try test connecting this to the BlueSound Node (latest version) via USB. Thanks!

If they switched to something totally different, like ESS, don't you think Schiit would update the specs page?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Watching their interviews, they are in the process of converting everything, but have considerable old stock.
But for what they will ship ( noticed they said 2 to 4 weeks, down from 6 to 8) only they can say. The plug in cards have been changed.
I will keep watching as I probably will buy one. Yes, they are switching all DS to ESS. WEB still says AK4493

They are also having tube supplier and regulator supplier issues. Their story reminds me why I never went into business.

A Schiit pi. That is a thought. Actually a clever one, but a pi is not a turn-key consumer product. It requires a geek with experience. Now maybe a CASE that would fit a pi. Or a CASE that would fit a MiniDsp. Sounds like an opportunity for a partner as it would not make sense for Schiit themselves. I would not mind a Modius CASE to fit my X-Kitx boards in.

I suggested a plug in module with line RCA for the Asgard. I don't need a phone stage and am planning on moving up to the Modius, so the Asgard would serve as the head and two input pre. I will probably make one myself.

Also suggested a crossover using their good discrete buffers, second order. It would be nice to have a 70 or 80 Hz second order HP that was not an op-amp but the same buffer as the Asgard. Plug in modules would make sense. Internal supply. Most subs are run from a plate amp and their internal crossover is fine for the sub. It is the HP to manage the mains we lack. Even better of the Vidar had one built in. 30-60-80 maybe. That was the only redeeming point on my 2125, the 40 hz HP to help control the mains excursion. Of course the typical reviewers would scream and the uninformed who want 20 to 20 bookshelf speakers would not understand. I could see an upscale with balanced IO full two way.

I have an X-Kitz I did, but 4th order and they used a single supply so until I put in a mute relay, it is unusable due to the turn on and off thump. Not a nuisance, damaging. I would prefer second order. It thumps faster than an amp output mute relay, so even though I can run with just my sequencer, a power hit damn near blew my speakers.

I am concerned with Schiit's direction. CD player, big expensive mono amps, 10 tube head amp. Leaving us poor folks out of it. Only they know if they are selling more Yg's than Modi. I would love to see them concentrate on the sub $500 market, but they do have to stay in business. So many companies went that path. The first Roland amps were just a bit expensive, now insane and no better than some for 1/10 the price. He started making power supplies for Panasonic strain gauge cartages for Transcendental Sound. Many others. Jolita, Cary, PS, Boulder. Techniques, Luxman, Creek, Linn. All went from "I could dream" to "don't bother to even look"

PuX

if they are switching to ESS, that gives me hope the new version will be updated to be competitive with the latest DACs from other companies.
then again, it could be worse.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Competitive? Heck it is in the top tier for objective measurements. Or are you talking about features that are useless to an end consumer? I don't expect them to play with DSD, MQA, and 2000 bit 100TeraHz sample rates. Schiit don't do specs. They do sound. If you want a color display, buy Chinese.

One feature, I noticed JDS licenses a ASIO driver from a third party. Seems reasonably smart. Schiit might, maybe, put a line in their specs that it may work with third party drivers, at your own risk. I think the hardware ASIO support is in all newer chips so it is just a driver issue.

Decided to be impatient and ordered an Atom+. If I can't hear the difference on my stereo, I'll use it on my desk. It will give me a test platform if nothing else. My current desktop is from the last century. Actually. Actually a nice little SMSL, 10W Tri-path and BB DAC, but about 3 orders of magnitude higher distortion than current.

Jarmel

So I have a Susvara and Ferrum Oor+Hypsos coming and I'm currently using a Modius as a source and I'm wondering whether the output voltage for the XLR output on the Modius is going to be a problem and if I should get something like the RME ADI-2 DAC that has something like 7V on the XLR out? I'm not so much concerned/care about the feature set of the ADI-2 but rather driving the Susvaras.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So I have a Susvara and Ferrum Oor+Hypsos coming and I'm currently using a Modius as a source and I'm wondering whether the output voltage for the XLR output on the Modius is going to be a problem and if I should get something like the RME ADI-2 DAC that has something like 7V on the XLR out? I'm not so much concerned/care about the feature set of the ADI-2 but rather driving the Susvaras.

Not a problem.

Standard XLR output is 4V.

Your amp probably is designed for that.

Jarmel

According to whom?

That would depend entirely on the implementation of the gain staging and the pot.
At least with the Oor, I know people have mentioned the volume level being impacted by the voltage coming from the DAC. This was on Head-Fi.

Veri

Master Contributor
If you already have Modius and have OOR on the way, it doesn't hurt to try it like that. As was said, 4V is pretty much "standard" outside of studio use, where ultra high voltages are more usual.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
If you already have Modius and have OOR on the way, it doesn't hurt to try it like that. As was said, 4V is pretty much "standard" outside of studio use, where ultra high voltages are more usual.
4V is the standard and will provide the rated output of your amp. Higher voltage is for advertising and maybe driving several hundred feet of cable. It does you no good to overload the input of the amp. Besides, how often do you have you volume at max?

Looking at the ASIO4All WEB, it says a fix in version 2.15 beta is a fix for the truncating to 16 bit issue.
I am having a hard time between upgrading to a Modius or a Bifrost. I looked at the measurements I made for my old "warmer" Muse Fuse. .04% second harmonic distortion. I am beginning to blame some of my issues on my Asgard AKM DAC.
I swear to god that I NEED the Asgard 3 and eventually buy it, but so confused about a DAC for 6xx.
So many DAC chips ... ESS9038PRO, AKM4493, etc... I don't know what to do. Exhausted AF TBH.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I swear to god that I NEED the Asgard 3 and eventually buy it, but so confused about a DAC for 6xx.
So many DAC chips ... ESS9038PRO, AKM4493, etc... I don't know what to do. Exhausted AF TBH.
Calm down and listen to some music on your new headphones.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
As an owner of an Asgard/AKM, no you don't want the older DAC chip. I do not know about the new ESS or the multibit. I run an Atom DAC+ as it did not have the "glare" that I am very sensitive to. The Topping D30pro also had this "glare" I believe it is the execution, not the chip. I guess some headphone amps measure better by a hair, but can't imagine they sound better and few have more power for difficult cans. ( limitation of the JDS)

I am figuring out how I can add an e-bay servo IR volume control and will be adding a second RCA input. I really wanted to love the D30 and in just a couple uses got spoiled by the remote.

Much speculation on cause of the harsh sound. Some suggest the USB, some suggest the clocks. Only guesswork. And then we have the cadre who claim they are all perfect and no one can hear a difference. I have stated my viewpoint. I had a hard time between the JDS stack and the Schiit all in one. I made the mistake of thinking the Asgard was a Modi and Magni in one box. Hindsight, should have gone JDS. FWIW, I think they are doing a new version of the EL II+ all in one soon. I have to think Schiit learned something between the original Modi, current, and ESS conversions. FWIW, a comment from JS was "it's not the USB chip, it is how you use it"

What I like about both of these brands is they do not support the useless giga-bit/terra Hz rates or new funky distorted formats I would never use. they just work. No bling, no hyperbola though I think Schiit is slipping on some, well slippery stuff with their new big amps, 10 tube head amp and CD transport. OOOH. Just noticed, the Sega has a remote! Maybe the Asgard heads to the desk after all!

I have not tested the AKM DAC with my Linear Technology galvanic isolator. I need to do that. If that is all it is, then I free one of these for my desk.

As an owner of an Asgard/AKM, no you don't want the older DAC chip. I do not know about the new ESS or the multibit. I run an Atom DAC+ as it did not have the "glare" that I am very sensitive to. The Topping D30pro also had this "glare" I believe it is the execution, not the chip. I guess some headphone amps measure better by a hair, but can't imagine they sound better and few have more power for difficult cans. ( limitation of the JDS)

I am figuring out how I can add an e-bay servo IR volume control and will be adding a second RCA input. I really wanted to love the D30 and in just a couple uses got spoiled by the remote.

Much speculation on cause of the harsh sound. Some suggest the USB, some suggest the clocks. Only guesswork. And then we have the cadre who claim they are all perfect and no one can hear a difference. I have stated my viewpoint. I had a hard time between the JDS stack and the Schiit all in one. I made the mistake of thinking the Asgard was a Modi and Magni in one box. Hindsight, should have gone JDS. FWIW, I think they are doing a new version of the EL II+ all in one soon. I have to think Schiit learned something between the original Modi, current, and ESS conversions. FWIW, a comment from JS was "it's not the USB chip, it is how you use it"

What I like about both of these brands is they do not support the useless giga-bit/terra Hz rates or new funky distorted formats I would never use. they just work. No bling, no hyperbola though I think Schiit is slipping on some, well slippery stuff with their new big amps, 10 tube head amp and CD transport. OOOH. Just noticed, the Sega has a remote! Maybe the Asgard heads to the desk after all!

I have not tested the AKM DAC with my Linear Technology galvanic isolator. I need to do that. If that is all it is, then I free one of these for my desk.
the modius is akm chip. i think its old .

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
They are redoing al of them due to no more AKM. Besides, it is not the chip, it is how it is used. Notice the way better performance of the Modius to the Asgard. Both AKM.

The Modius has the new USB interface.

Top Bottom