• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I ordered the original Modius/Magnius in Jan or Feb, received the Modius E and Magnius in early July. I had a back and forth with Schiit support as the USB data input stopped working when I added the Lokius I purchased just afte the first two arrived. Turns out, the Mac has issues with USB current output. The solution, not reality identified on the support site is to plug the power brick via USB C to the power USB port on the Modius AND plug the computer into the DAC via the data USB. By plugging into the power port, the power feed into the data port is disabled, so the unit is not at risk. I can attest that with the data cable attached, both USB and Optical inputs can be used. (I posted this in a separate thread)

However, while I love the sound of the combo with balanced headphone input (DCA AEON Noire and DROP Focal Ether), I am curious if someone more knowledgable than myself on the Schiit published data on the Modius E could compare and contrast to the original AKM Modius? To my uneducated eyes, they look pretty close?
If you are getting at do ESS and AKM DACs sound audibly different, don't waste your mental energy or time, you will never be able to tell them apart in blind, level matched, multiple trials. I am not even sure if in the earliest days of ESS chips when the infamous "Hump" was consistent that it ever rose to the level of audibility.

dufferdan

If you are getting at do ESS and AKM DACs sound audibly different, don't waste your mental energy or time, you will never be able to tell them apart in blind, level matched, multiple trials. I am not even sure if in the earliest days of ESS chips when the infamous "Hump" was consistent that it ever rose to the level of audibility.
I figure with my tinnitus infected ears, it would be a mugs game. Heck my original Bifrost DAC sounds fine to my ars, tho it is hooked up to my Valhalla 2 tube amp, which has loads of distortion, as do all tube amps. Nature of the beast.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I figure with my tinnitus infected ears, it would be a mugs game. Heck my original Bifrost DAC sounds fine to my ars, tho it is hooked up to my Valhalla 2 tube amp, which has loads of distortion, as do all tube amps. Nature of the beast.
I used to have a first gen Gungnir DAC and a first Gen Valhalla amp myself. I certainly was able to enjoy them. Shame about the tinnitus. I struggled with it quite a bit and after a few years of almost no headphone use it has improved considerably. I hope your tinnitus improves as well.

dufferdan

I used to have a first gen Gungnir DAC and a first Gen Valhalla amp myself. I certainly was able to enjoy them. Shame about the tinnitus. I struggled with it quite a bit and after a few years of almost no headphone use it has improved considerably. I hope your tinnitus improves as well.
Thanks for the well wishes, but I think it is beyond help and permanent. Had it since university years and am now over 60. Been watching a few YouTube videos on it and like some say, it has good days and bad. But never leaves you.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Thanks for the well wishes, but I think it is beyond help and permanent. Had it since university years and am now over 60. Been watching a few YouTube videos on it and like some say, it has good days and bad. But never leaves you.
I'm sorry to learn of the permanent nature of your tinnitus. It sounds like you have found a way to live with it so good on you for that. All the best.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
There will be no difference. There isn't a human being alive today, or ever in history that could hear a difference between the ESS or AKM.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does schiit handle DSD? No issues?

Schiit doesn't handle DSD. You'd need a software that will convert the DSD file to PCM before it goes to Schiit

1676773173687.png

ThatGuyYouKnow

Schiit would probably get many more sales if they did support DSD in their DACs. I understand their arguments against it, but selling product should be more important.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
What's their argument against it? When SACD was still a thing I wasn't into it. But the last few years I got more and more into music that was recorded in DSD or still is.

I really like to play files in their native format:)

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's their argument against it?
They see it as a royalties generating format with no actual benefit for the end user, kind of like MQA.
From a technical viewpoint, I think they're right.
It's just a shame that there are masters that were only released digitally in DSD.

ThatGuyYouKnow

What's their argument against it? When SACD was still a thing I wasn't into it. But the last few years I got more and more into music that was recorded in DSD or still is.

I really like to play files in their native format:)
The only part of their argument that I found quite flawed is that their Loki DSD-only DAC was a slow seller. People don't want a separate box just for DSD64 and nothing else, and quite frankly, the fact that they managed to move 1,000 units of such a limited device speaks positively to the popularity of the DSD format.

VladDracule

Hi all,

Im trying to figure out what cable i need to buy. I have a Shiit DAC/AMP (Modius/Magnius) stack that i want to use with a PS5, but from what i understand the PS5 only supports UAC1, which the Modius DAC does not. I think i can use the G6 to passthrough audio INCLUDING tempest audio correct?

So the chain would be PS5-> (USB) G6 -> (Optical - this is the cable i need) Modius -> Magnius -> HD800s.

From what I can tell on bestbuy i cant get one locally unfortunately so i need to know a trusted brand i can find on amazon.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Im trying to figure out what cable i need to buy. I have a Shiit DAC/AMP (Modius/Magnius) stack that i want to use with a PS5, but from what i understand the PS5 only supports UAC1, which the Modius DAC does not. I think i can use the G6 to passthrough audio INCLUDING tempest audio correct?

So the chain would be PS5-> (USB) G6 -> (Optical - this is the cable i need) Modius -> Magnius -> HD800s.

From what I can tell on bestbuy i cant get one locally unfortunately so i need to know a trusted brand i can find on amazon.
Have you tried ps5 into tv, optical out of TV into modius?

Top Bottom