• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing like a chip factory fire and a global pandemic to screw up the audio supply chain. RIP AK4493.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modius, Schmodius. I think I might have a couple in

What's a Modius? Sounds like something RadioShack once made. Oh yeah, that was Optimus. Whatever. :rolleyes:
You may have this confused with "odious", which is the distortion curve of most phono cartridges!

1221soundsmith.lab2.jpg

Sorry; cheap shot to vinyl aficionados. I actually love the sound of my Hana SL with a SUT!

PuX

As of today (June 22, 2022) it looks like the AKM AK4493 version of the Schiit Modius is no more. Say hello to the Modius E
and it's $30 more expensive!

hope it will be tested, will be interesting to see if it's any better or worse than the previous version.

their report gives a rough idea, but it seems to indicate they measured at 3.3V? if so then it's not directly comparable.

staticV3

Master Contributor
their report gives a rough idea, but it seems to indicate they measured at 3.3V? if so then it's not directly comparable.
"Sync Out Level: 3.300 V" is not the DUT's output voltage.
On page 6 you can see a 1KHz FFT at full output:
AI_Image.png
12dBV = 4Vrms
On page 4 it also tells you the output level directly:
Screenshot 2022-06-23 191650.png
So the Modius E is outputting standard voltages.

SINAD acc. to Schiit is:
  • XLR (L/R): 111.12 / 112.25
  • RCA (L/R): 111.18 / 112.29

EternalD

Hey All, long time lurker and first time poster here.

Through a recent purchase and series of emails, I have the option to exchange my Modius (Micro USB and AKM chip) for the new Modius E (USB-C and ESS chip).

I know the Modius E has yet to be measured or analyzed and I know the differences between the two models (be they subjective or objective, measurable or perceivable) have yet to be recorded.

However, would any of the experts here recommend the switch based on the presence of the ESS chip alone? The USB-C upgrade would be a nice plus but the functional difference (in regards to their function on this device) between C and Micro are minimal. For context, my Modius is currently hooked up to a THX-887, considered to be a fairly analytical amp. The ESS 9028 chip is also considered to be more analytical than the AKM 4493 but I found some conflicting takes on the "implementation in a system vs inherent quality of the chip" arguments.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey All, long time lurker and first time poster here.

Through a recent purchase and series of emails, I have the option to exchange my Modius (Micro USB and AKM chip) for the new Modius E (USB-C and ESS chip).

I know the Modius E has yet to be measured or analyzed and I know the differences between the two models (be they subjective or objective, measurable or perceivable) have yet to be recorded.

However, would any of the experts here recommend the switch based on the presence of the ESS chip alone? The USB-C upgrade would be a nice plus but the functional difference (in regards to their function on this device) between C and Micro are minimal. For context, my Modius is currently hooked up to a THX-887, considered to be a fairly analytical amp. The ESS 9028 chip is also considered to be more analytical than the AKM 4493 but I found some conflicting takes on the "implementation in a system vs inherent quality of the chip" arguments.
They'll sound the same.

Fugettaboudit.

dufferdan

Just received my Modius yesterday; they now use USB-C inputs. Sounds great.
I ordered the original Modius/Magnius in Jan or Feb, received the Modius E and Magnius in early July. I had a back and forth with Schiit support as the USB data input stopped working when I added the Lokius I purchased just afte the first two arrived. Turns out, the Mac has issues with USB current output. The solution, not reality identified on the support site is to plug the power brick via USB C to the power USB port on the Modius AND plug the computer into the DAC via the data USB. By plugging into the power port, the power feed into the data port is disabled, so the unit is not at risk. I can attest that with the data cable attached, both USB and Optical inputs can be used. (I posted this in a separate thread)

However, while I love the sound of the combo with balanced headphone input (DCA AEON Noire and DROP Focal Ether), I am curious if someone more knowledgable than myself on the Schiit published data on the Modius E could compare and contrast to the original AKM Modius? To my uneducated eyes, they look pretty close?

eburb

Great, that’s perfect for me then :)
again, I do see that there is no volume control on the DAC! Also, I do not want one.
The question stems from me misunderstanding/someone making the comment that the Modi DAC flattens any input signal to a fixed volume output. So that the volume from the digital source was irrelevant for what eventually comes out of your speakers.

In any case, thanks for explaining this!
@Thatsthestuff, you probably have already found this out if you got a Modi/Modius, but your comment is almost accurate: the Modi/Modius will pass through the digital source input volume level to all outputs EXCEPT when the input source is connected via USB.

Example 1: Blusound Node streamer --USB--> Schiit Modius --XLR--> Schiit Freya+ preamp --XLR--> Parasound A21 amp --> B&W 702s2 speakers and the volume setting on the Blusound Node has no affect on speaker volume level.

In contrast, if I replace the USB connection with any other option (coax, optical, RCA), the volume adjustment on the Blusound Node (digital source) does affect speaker volume level.

Example 2: Blusound Node streamer --coaxial--> Schiit Modius --XLR--> Schiit Freya+ preamp --XLR--> Parasound A21 amp --> B&W 702s2 speakers

And for what it's worth, the fixed output level in example 1 (USB from digital source to Modius) is too high to work with my Freya preamp, as even at the lowest preamp volume setting, the speaker sound level is well above "quiet/silent".

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmmm. I use the Jriver player on my PC, connected to my Modius by USB. I use the level control in Jriver and it controls the output level coming from the Modius.

Are you saying that the Modius doesn't work this way with USB input? That the Modius just plays all USB input at the same level? Doesn't work like that in my system. Maybe other players / USB sources work differently.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Most likely the Modius just doesn't support UAC2 Hardware Volume control which some OSs like iOS, macOS, and whatever runs on a Bluesound Node depend on for USB DACs.

That means that if you plug the Modius into such a system, you get no systemwide, OS level volume control. Only application based volume sliders as those use simple software volume control.

Plug it into Windows and the OS will recognize lack of UAC2 HW volume and will automatically switch to software volume, so the OS level vol control will function like normal.

yoprado

@Thatsthestuff, you probably have already found this out if you got a Modi/Modius, but your comment is almost accurate: the Modi/Modius will pass through the digital source input volume level to all outputs EXCEPT when the input source is connected via USB.

Example 1: Blusound Node streamer --USB--> Schiit Modius --XLR--> Schiit Freya+ preamp --XLR--> Parasound A21 amp --> B&W 702s2 speakers and the volume setting on the Blusound Node has no affect on speaker volume level.

In contrast, if I replace the USB connection with any other option (coax, optical, RCA), the volume adjustment on the Blusound Node (digital source) does affect speaker volume level.

Example 2: Blusound Node streamer --coaxial--> Schiit Modius --XLR--> Schiit Freya+ preamp --XLR--> Parasound A21 amp --> B&W 702s2 speakers

And for what it's worth, the fixed output level in example 1 (USB from digital source to Modius) is too high to work with my Freya preamp, as even at the lowest preamp volume setting, the speaker sound level is well above "quiet/silent".
Quick question here @eburb, I've read in other posts that I can effectively just use the Node as a preamp, so would I be able to just do:

Blusound Node streamer --coaxial--> Schiit Modius --XLR--> Parasound A21 amp ?

eburb

Quick question here @eburb, I've read in other posts that I can effectively just use the Node as a preamp, so would I be able to just do:

Blusound Node streamer --coaxial--> Schiit Modius --XLR--> Parasound A21 amp ?
Yes, since the Node has volume control and source switching, I believe that configuration would work. There may be some technical details (output/input impedance?) that mean the performance (most likely just volume level) is different from using a dedicated preamp, but that's over my head, so hopefully someone else can weigh in.

Top Bottom