• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi vs Topping D90 with a Topping A90 (Hifiman Arya)

onebucketsambaar

Hello,

I got into the world of AMPs, DACs and Headphones very recently. I use a Hifiman Arya with a Schiit Modi (the latest version - connected via USB) and Topping A90 (balanced out). I know, it's not the D90 :). I'm still learning about all the tech. So apologies if this is a silly question.

I'm trying to understand what the difference will be if I upgrade to the Topping D90. Before getting the A90 I was using the Arya with the Schiit Magni Heresy and it worked pretty well for me. I did notice a change in sound quality when I switched to the A90. My audio streams over USB from a Raspberry Pi 4. Sometimes I use connect my iPad via USB to the Modi.

Now If I go from the Modi to the D90 will there be a difference in sound quality and will there be any other differences? Is the change in sound quality worth the 650 odd percent increase in price?

Thanks for your help.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The latest Modi is quite good. I doubt you'd have any audible difference.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'll look those up. Is there a reason why you recommend those over the Modi and the D90?
I'm not very confident for A90 with Modi. RCA connection likely has some ground related issues. SU-9 and Modius have balanced output solving all related issues so you can enjoy A90's full potential. D90 is likely overpriced for your situation (otherwise you wouldn't ask this and bought D90 already right?) although it's really good combination with A90.

Or if you are enjoying yourself then you don't have to upgrade at all. That's the most important thing.

OP
O

onebucketsambaar

I'm not very confident for A90 with Modi. RCA connection likely has some ground related issues. SU-9 and Modius have balanced output solving all related issues so you can enjoy A90's full potential. D90 is likely overpriced for your situation (otherwise you wouldn't ask this and bought D90 already right?) although it's really good combination with A90.

Or if you are enjoying yourself then you don't have to upgrade at all. That's the most important thing.

The price of the D90 is okay. I was just trying to justify the cost of the upgrade that's all. I'm sure the gear will last for a while so it's definitely not something I'd be upgrading every year :)

I see the SU-9 is definitely lower priced than the D90.

Top Bottom