• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi Multibit - No Love?

Svperstar

That is a myth. Don't let that pre-bias you to not like those products.

I've never owned one of the AK DACS tho! I already have a Sabre DAC in the Dragonfly 1.2.

I really wish I still had my Creative Labs X-FI. Paid $400 for that puppy back in the day. Had 4 DAC chips, dual mono for each channel. I wonder how it meassures. Best source I have heard.

DSHarris

I started using the Schiit Fulla (earlier version), to listen to tango, and play tango at dance events.

I liked it, so I thought I would move up to the Schiit Modi Multibit. The Modi Multibit sounded a lot different than the Fulla, but I was not sure why. I also use a "HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro" at my desk, with some KEF K bookshelf speakers and a AudioSource 100 AMP (not the most sophisticated setup). When I play the same music files in both, it seems like the Schiit Modi Multibit is either bringing out something in the music that that I did not hear before, or adding something to the music I did not hear before. Not necessarily unpleasant -- it was just not there before.

So . . . I just ordered a Topping D50 through Massdrop, for $207.74 (incl Tx). I plan to start listening while I work at my desk maybe alternate DAC's on different days.

While I use FLAC file format, most of the music is from very early recordings, and with unknown history as to the equipment and work flow to transcribe it to digital (except for some that I have done myself.)

One of the things that I found helpful was to add a Schiit "Loki" tone control into the system, instead if using the software VLC equalizer. I am not sure if there are a lot of different equalizer choices available, and/or the amount of testing on them.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^ Not an expert in the matter but the Schiit OS filter might have an effect in the sound you hear but the sound you hear is definitely not accurate compared to the D/S version.

bilzebubba

I've never owned one of the AK DACS tho! I already have a Sabre DAC in the Dragonfly 1.2.

I really wish I still had my Creative Labs X-FI. Paid $400 for that puppy back in the day. Had 4 DAC chips, dual mono for each channel. I wonder how it meassures. Best source I have heard.

I wonder too! Just finishing the switch from a houseful of Xmod Wirelesses to Chromecasts-->various cheapish Dacs, but I wonder how this mid-2000s puppy measures out. I think things sound much better with the newer Dacs of course, but...

Thing is, not even the Chromecasts are as dead simple and reliable connection-wise as these have been (as I see to recall, the Logitech units were for those in that ecosystem at the time?). I still use them for internet radio streams, as my Matrix Mini-i outputs to both my balanced desktop speakers and to the Xmod via RCA. Roon's new internet radio function crashes all the time, but Foobar works great for that. Never did see many people on the net talking about these. Wonder if Creative wishes they had developed them further?
1550949832685.png

Grattle

Don't forget you need to wait 3 weeks until it starts to perform up to spec ;)

Since the resistances in this architecture are crucial, and resistance can vary with temperature, letting the device temperature stablilize for 20 minutes before performing critical listening doesn't seem so far fetched to me. Of course, you are just trying to score points by piggybacking on the popular target of angst on this website. You aren't even really getting that done though, because you lack originality and are just parroting crap you've only heard others say. Have you LISTENED to the Modi Multibit?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Since the resistances in this architecture are crucial, and resistance can vary with temperature, letting the device temperature stablilize for 20 minutes before performing critical listening doesn't seem so far fetched to me. Of course, you are just trying to score points by piggybacking on the popular target of angst on this website. You aren't even really getting that done though, because you lack originality and are just parroting crap you've only heard others say. Have you LISTENED to the Modi Multibit?
And your digging up ancient posts ( Dec 2018) to start some pointless crusade against some imaginary foe.

Leave your gear on , who cares.. I leave my amps on.

See, no one gives a flying fig about it.

Svperstar

Have you LISTENED to the Modi Multibit?

I have, its at home right now. It sounds very dark and lacks detail. This is in stark contrast to Schiit marketing materials that reference the military using those AD DAC chips to shoot cruise missiles. My Grace Designs SDAC sounds far more natural and detailed then the Modi Multibit.

Grattle

I have tried multiple ones now. There is nothing to like when you level match them and test blind. The liking comes from the impression that they must be better. In that case with full knowledge of what you are testing, you will perceive more detail, air, fidelity, etc. and contribute that to multi-bit design. In reality, delta-sigma DACs would produce the same sound if someone told you they were multi-bit!

The enemies of correct audio perception are your eyes and brain. The two love to hand you a different truth in audio.....

I think it's kind of funny that we all argue about audible differences in dacs, and yet in most of the DAC measurements, all of the differences are so far below audible levels as to be absurd. A ranking of amps/dacs/whatever by their ability to reproduce inaudible differences is odd to me. I think that to differentiate between DACS, we should be re-digitizing the outputs (of music and test tones and sweeps, not test tones only) and compare the waveforms.

Grattle

And your digging up ancient posts ( Dec 2018) to start some pointless crusade against some imaginary foe.

Leave your gear on , who cares.. I leave my amps on.

See, no one gives a flying fig about it.

I have no foe here. I just hate to see the spread of misinformation.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Grattle

I have, its at home right now. It sounds very dark and lacks detail. This is in stark contrast to Schiit marketing materials that reference the military using those AD DAC chips to shoot cruise missiles. My Grace Designs SDAC sounds far more natural and detailed then the Modi Multibit.

I haven't heard the SDAC yet. I would like to get my hands on the balanced version.

I really really wish we had a way to quantize "lacks detail". I don't doubt what you hear, but according to measurements made by Amir, you shouldn't be able to hear the differences.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no foe here. I just hate to see the spread of misinformation.
"Misinformation" could be pointless claim without technical data or DBT to back it up. The fact you suggest the Multibit sounds better after warm-up may be one:
Since the resistances in this architecture are crucial, and resistance can vary with temperature, letting the device temperature stablilize for 20 minutes before performing critical listening doesn't seem so far fetched to me.
Plus, @amirm measured the Yggy before and after warm-up with absolutely no change seeable in measurements.

Svperstar

I haven't heard the SDAC yet. I would like to get my hands on the balanced version.

I really really wish we had a way to quantize "lacks detail". I don't doubt what you hear, but according to measurements made by Amir, you shouldn't be able to hear the differences.

The Modi Multibit has a way of squishing everything together and making it flatter and more 2D.

Grattle

Grattle

"Misinformation" could be pointless claim without technical data or DBT to back it up. The fact you suggest the Multibit sounds better after warm-up may be one:

Plus, @amirm measured the Yggy before and after warm-up with absolutely no change seeable in measurements.

Not here to argue with you about resistors and heat. Resistance can vary with temperature.

gvl

Major Contributor
Not here to argue with you about resistors and heat. Resistance can vary with temperature.

Amir used a heat gun on the Yggdrasil, there was no difference in performance.

Top Bottom