• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi Multibit - No Love?

derp1n

They say that in just about every breath. Here is Schiit on modi multibit:

View attachment 18266

Exact level implies 100% fidelity to audio samples. There is no talk of screwing them up to make them sound better.
Exactly. Other multibit vendors make similar claims in their marketing. I have never seen any of them claim they deliberately introduce distortion to achieve a particular sound (à la tube amps). Some multibit believers such as @Noob and various other posters on other forums seem to be claiming this is the point of multibit, but it is certainly not established fact nor even a universally agreed upon understanding.

gvl

Major Contributor
This is all beside the point that manufacturers imply that multi-bit is the most accurate representation of incoming signal.

Which is total BS as the incoming signal usually goes through a digital filter and the original samples are lost anyway. Well, Schiit claims they keep them somehow. My Khadas board is on its way, we'll see if it can destroy my multi-bit bias :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is total BS as the incoming signal usually goes through a digital filter and the original samples are lost anyway. Well, Schiit claims they keep them somehow. My Khadas board is on its way, we'll see if it can destroy my multi-bit bias :)
What is it they call it, the super burrito filter. BS in this case could stand for Bad Schiit.

I think the khadas will let you see the light! :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think it is worth keeping in mind that resistor ladder DACs are valued not for how accurately they measure but for how pleasantly they distort.

Who says this?

Schiit certainly doesn't -- they claim multibit is more truthful than DS/SD because it preserves the original samples.

They are basically the DAC version of a tube amp.

How so?

I haven't seen NOS DACs exhibiting high 2nd order harmonic distortion like a tube amp.

Not to mention, if that's what you want....get a tube amp. Or perhaps a DAC with a tube output stage.

gvl

Major Contributor
I haven't seen NOS DACs exhibiting high 2nd order harmonic distortion like a tube amp.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/borderpatrol-digital-analogue-converter-se-measurements
With undithered data representing a tone at exactly –90.31dBFS (fig.8), it can be seen that the DAC starts to act as a frequency doubler at low levels.

Schiit certainly doesn't -- they claim multibit is more truthful than DS/SD because it preserves the original samples.

What if the value of the original samples if their DACs cannot reproduce them precisely? Amir produced enough Schiit muiltibit linearity graphs which looked quite pathetic.

Edit: well, I'll take it back partially, the Yggdrasil was linear to 16 bits at least.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Don't forget you need to wait 3 weeks until it starts to perform up to spec

Waiting for the dithering listener to decide?

garbulky

Major Contributor
They say that in just about every breath. Here is Schiit on modi multibit:

View attachment 18266

Exact level implies 100% fidelity to audio samples. There is no talk of screwing them up to make them sound better.
Yeah that’s one of the appeals off that architecture. The multibit dAac units have issues in very low level linearity But I would be kidding you if I could tell the difference in linearity awful -80 dB signal during music listening, let alone hear a signal that soft during music listening

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I really don't think the science of how subjectively beautiful a sound is is anywhere close to being advanced enough for a company to be very deliberate and precise. I think it's more of a try a bunch of stuff till it sounds nice type of thing. I think the makers of ladder dacs have inherently different design philosophies. But I have never designed a multibit DAC, or interviewed someone who has about their design philosophy, so I am really just making assumptions here.

I do know that the guys at Schiit have been very vocal about not designing the modi multibit around it's measurements. They claim they already did that with the regular modi. They prefer the modi multibit because it sounds better to them. As for how precise they were in crafting the details of their multi-bit sound, I do not know.

Then you should be better off with stuff from well implemented step ladder systems such as Seokris and dump that Schitt idea (pun intended).

Sounds like the prefect use case for a heat gun...

Maybe a hairdryer ... ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A statement of the designer (Mike) in a thread where a lot of stupidity was/is flung around.

Euphonic? I never thought I was producing euphonies. As I have written in my own thread, a true audio pioneer, Mr Peter Walker told me 40 some years ago at the beginning of this road for me that it was my duty to reproduce music, not to alter it. I still have a set of his original Quad Loudspeakers today. Your statement about bypassing the filter puzzles me - if you have a mb Schiit DAC, the filter is always there, yup, no way to get rid of it.

I am also puzzled by your NOS DAC statement. "New-old-stock"? "Non-oversampling"? Precise resistors? Like the automobile priced DACs who construct their own DAC chip equivalents whose fragile linearity varies with farts in the room?

The design philosophy between MB and DS DACs does not differ. the goal of both DACs is to output an analog (and flowing, as in not stair-stepped or noisy) output signal that is as close as possible to the waveform that was described by the samples and is a very close approximation of the analog signal that has been recorded.
Other chips are used and other technical solutions are needed to achieve the same goal. One can play with treble roll-off.

The only difference in design philosophy between DS and MB is the digital upsampling/filter is already present in DS chips and when using MB DAC chips they have to programmed into an IC or 'off the shelve' chips can be used to do the upsampling/filtering before it goes to the DAC chip.
Mike claims he uses the original samples which makes it more accurate. (sales pitch based on subjective findings)

All DACs need analog post filtering.
The MB DAC's have a relative steep analog filter that sits just below the Nyquist of the highest bitrate it can handle and all incoming bit rates that are lower are upsampled to the same (highest) bitrate it can handle.
You can see that analog post filter as a device that 'invents' voltages between the upsampled steps so even if the burrito filter uses the original samples. This post filter simply creates smooth transitions according to the laws of physics, there is no design philosophy used. ALL DACs with proper post filtering will (just in a very brief moment) have an output voltage that is exactly the same as the original samples have described.

So what IF the original sample values are used or not ? The analog post filter does not care one bit and only during a very brief moment the actual output voltage will ALWAYS be equal to the described values. Regardless if the DAC is MB, DS, Pulse array or whatever.

DS chips (and pulse array) over-sample a LOT more times than 4 times and all analog output values are calculated so that the average value, in a short time frame, is very close to the described/expected output voltage of a post analog filtered output signal.
The upside is that the post filter used can be very simple and easy to make and does not have to be sharp at all. Downside is the noise levels above the audible range are somewhat higher than that of MB.

Where is the 'magic' here and the 'philosophy' in design that has a 'more natural music sound' in it ?
The reality is that 99.9% (gros estimation) of the time the actual output voltage is 'calculated' or determined by an analog post filter and only 0.1% of the time the actual described sample value is present in ALL DAC types.

One can believe in the 'magic' all day long but most of the perceived 'magic' is invented. Not in the DAC but in the mind of the listener who KNOWS what DAC is being used.
Maybe in some cases early treble roll-off sounds pleasant to owners of certain DACs as well. Magic? no...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This business about accurate bits. Some very good DACs can get the 20th bit at the perfect theoretical level for the 20th bit at the analog output. Show me some multi-bits that can do that. Until then sigma-deltas are the accurate way to go.

I can feed a signal composed of nothing other than 0 and 20th bit turned on. Get that result in the analog output accurately. I can't do that with any multi-bits.

Noob

Seems like this multibit business is a larger conspiracy than I realized. Most of my assumptions have been based on what I have heard from other owners of multibit dacs. The claims they have made about the sound becoming smoother or warmed up and some even saying that particular implementations gave a "tubey" sound have contributed to my ideas regarding the reason behind multi-bit. I have never personally been interested enough to get one.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the arguments about induced euphonic distortion are post facto responses to measured analysis indicating many of these multi-bit DACs are less than impressive performers in objective terms.

I do get why people might like euphonic distortion, that is purely a subjective preference but it is a perfectly valid one as enjoyment of music is an inherently subjective experience. However, they're not marketed and sold on that basis, and more pertinently if that if what you want it would appear to make more sense to use signal processing in a DSP unit which you can adjust (or switch off) rather than being locked into a particular distortion because of the DAC design.

To me a DAC has a very simple, single function, to accurately convert a digital signal into analogue, if it isn't doing that well then it's not a great DAC (although there is also the major point that not all measured differences are audible and many DACs which measure differently sound pretty much the same anyway).

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A filterless DAC does a poorer job of reproducing the original signal than a properly filtered DAC. Start with the original analog signal. The ADC samples it at regular intervals. Between those intervals, the analog signal continues to vary, but the Nyquist theorem proves that we can calculate exactly what the values are at any moment between the samples. The DAC converter stage then has to accurately reproduce the sample values at the same regular intervals in time. Competent DACs can do that, even filterless. The difference is in what happens in between the sample intervals. A filterless DAC outputs the same value for a whole sample period. A properly filtered DAC produces values in between the sample periods that accurately match the original analog values that existed between the samples.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reducing jitter would also be beneficial.
Not so sure. One of the most praised DACs in the hifi press is the super expensive Metronome and it has vast amounts of jitter, which may well be producing the distortion the reviewers like. It had over 100x more jitter than a Chord Dave in the HiFi News test.
OTOH it could simply be the higher output level makes it sound nicer to them

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Not so sure. One of the most praised DACs in the hifi press is the super expensive Metronome and it has vast amounts of jitter, which may well be producing the distortion the reviewers like. It had over 100x more jitter than a Chord Dave in the HiFi News test.
OTOH it could simply be the higher output level makes it sound nicer to them

Or it may be the gargantuan price tag of the unit that muffled the ears of the reviewers ??

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What if the value of the original samples if their DACs cannot reproduce them precisely? Amir produced enough Schiit muiltibit linearity graphs which looked quite pathetic.

Edit: well, I'll take it back partially, the Yggdrasil was linear to 16 bits at least.

I wasn't saying they succeeded, just reiterating what they claim.

I've never seen Schiit claim multibit is intentionally euphonically distorted by design.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They prefer the modi multibit because it sounds better to them. As for how precise they were in crafting the details of their multi-bit sound, I do not know.

The tweakery is in their custom filter. The fact that it's multibit is secondary.

You could probably slap the Schiit 'combo burrito' filter into just about any DAC with a DSP, if it has enough taps.

Maybe that new HiFiBerry model...

Top Bottom