• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi+ DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 160 59.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 96 35.6%

• Total voters

Trell

Major Contributor
Can the knowledgeable FM's clarify the above doubt ( Why most of the DAC manufacturers go with one Digital inputs, Toslink - 1 , Coaxial - 1 )
Is there any technical reasons behind it ?

Also, is there any desktop DAC's with two Digital inputs ( Toslink -2 , Coaxial - 2 ) ?

There are a few of those, like the Okto dac8 stereo. People that needs to switch between multiple Toslink have to buy a switcher if they want to keep their existing DAC in most cases. Some of the Toslink switcher have auto-sensing and can switch automatically, and that can be handy in some use cases.

As for not including multiple Toslink/Coaxial SPDIF I guess one the reasons is cost and little demand.

quimbo

Reactions: SiR

AudioKC

Modi+ plus Magni Heretic is a great desktop combo for headphones. Looks nice in black and performs well with my Noire 2.

imackify

What does the filter do in a DAC? I just bought the modi, would I be better off going with a modius? Does the filter make a big difference? If so what?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
What does the filter do in a DAC? I just bought the modi, would I be better off going with a modius? Does the filter make a big difference? If so what?
In my experience and as far as sound quality is concerned, nothing

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally would like to apologize on behalf of Doodski << his new keyboard acts up, at times...:confused:
I am N O T going back and reading the flow of that commentary...LoL! I have no idea where that came from even if it is ODD.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
In my experience and as far as sound quality is concerned, nothing
Filter just knocks down/attenuates any stuff well above the range of hearing that some DSD or higher-res files may contain... Some DACs have 4-5 filter choices, but for most use cases, not needed...

Hatto

Filter just knocks down/attenuates any stuff well above the range of hearing that some DSD or higher-res files may contain... Some DACs have 4-5 filter choices, but for most use cases, not needed...
Ultrasonic filters are not useless or not needed, they are essential for hi-res digital music files. Not that anyone needs digital music files with sampling rates above 44.1kHz for absolute fidelity, theyexist. When you recontruct an analog signal using a higher sampling rate than 44.1kHz, there's the possibility of audible analog signals generated above 22kHz. These signals themselves are not an issue (as they're inaudible, being beyond hearing range) their interactions (i.e IMD artifacts to be specific) can fold back into the audible range, generating additional distortions.

Ultrasonic filters cut off the analog signal generated beyond hearing range (if any) to prevent the IMD caused by them.

imackify

Ultrasonic filters are not useless or not needed, they are essential for hi-res digital music files. Not that anyone needs digital music files with sampling rates above 44.1kHz for absolute fidelity, theyexist. When you recontruct an analog signal using a higher sampling rate than 44.1kHz, there's the possibility of audible analog signals generated above 22kHz. These signals themselves are not an issue (as they're inaudible, being beyond hearing range) their interactions (i.e IMD artifacts to be specific) can fold back into the audible range, generating additional distortions.

Ultrasonic filters cut off the analog signal generated beyond hearing range (if any) to prevent the IMD caused by them.
Ok, so why would the modi+ filter be insufficient in attenuation? Is that an oversight or was it done for some reason? From what I gather I probably shouldnt worry about it, but seems strange that its that way on an otherwise good dac.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When you recontruct an analog signal using a higher sampling rate than 44.1kHz, there's the possibility of audible analog signals generated above 22kHz. These signals themselves are not an issue (as they're inaudible, being beyond hearing range) their interactions (i.e IMD artifacts to be specific) can fold back into the audible range, generating additional distortions.
Almost. When you reconstruct ANY sampled signal, you’ll need to remove any sound above half the sample rate to end up with a proper reconstruction. Ideally the filter is infinitely fast. Practically, there is a short transition band, and high attenuation (of more than 80 dB ideally). These filters are done digitally by using oversampling because they yield flat phase and a much faster and deeper attenuation can be done vs analog electronics.

Ok, so why would the modi+ filter be insufficient in attenuation? Is that an oversight or was it done for some reason? From what I gather I probably shouldnt worry about it, but seems strange that its that way on an otherwise good dac.
The result that @amirm got here it a bit curious. None of the standard filters of the ESS DAC have this little attenuation. So it could be a custom filter, or a rising noise floor. Either way, not something to worry about too much. You can’t hear noise or distortion very well (or not at all) at those frequencies anyway.

vik.os

Got this little Modi+ beast today and Loki Mini+ (because I started with HiFi in 80’s and I like to EQ some records ).

I like the combo. However…

I bought Modi+ hoping to hear some noticeable improvements over internal DAC in my CA CXA61. But either I don’t have the ears to hear it, or ES9018 and ES9010 produce very similar sound, or Cambridge Audio did a good job with ES9010 implementation.

I guess it just proves that modern DACs just sound the same when well implemented.

I’ll try it out a bit more and then decide if I want to keep the Schiit combo or return it. I love Loki Mini+ though!

sbronf

hello, a question: can i use a usb C-C cable, with a modi, instead of a usb A-C cable. I have a free usb c port on the pc motherboard and i would like to use it. thank you

Chesapeake HT

Let me preface that I am not looking to start an A company vs. B company argument/discussion. I'm just generally new to standalone DACs and would like to pull one into my desktop Mac setup. So, that said, I'm at a toss up between the Modi+ DAC and the JDS Labs Atom DAC+ with HEVI add on (aluminum top). They seem for all intents and purposes to be nearly identical in specs (both use the ES9018 DAC). Major difference I can see is the JDS requires a separate power supply connection, whereas the Modi+ should be just one USB connection for power and audio signal from my Mac mini (M1) to the DAC. Am I missing anything else? I've read many positive reviews about each company (and one or two not so positive), but both generally seem to be stand up companies nowadays. I am not interested in any of the other non-US company products, so no need for other DAC suggestions. Appreciate any insights between these two.

vfourmax

Let me preface that I am not looking to start an A company vs. B company argument/discussion. I'm just generally new to standalone DACs and would like to pull one into my desktop Mac setup. Major difference I can see is the JDS requires a separate power supply connection, whereas the Modi+ should be just one USB connection for power and audio signal from my Mac mini (M1) to the DAC.
Modi + needs one hookup for data transfer and a second usb connection for power.
Schiit includes a "phone charger" style power supply, but I do think some people have successfully used a 2nd usb port rather than the included charger.

Top Bottom