• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi+ DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 160 59.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 96 35.6%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However, aluminum cases are very light, and may not be much heavier than certain types of plastics. Do you know if the current revision of the Modi is made out of steel or aluminum?
All the schiit enclosures are made out of steel.

bboris77

All the schiit enclosures are made out of steel.
Right, all of their current designs appear to be made out of steel bottom/aluminum top. They used to have a few budget designs with steel tops as well.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Right, all of their current designs appear to be made out of steel bottom/aluminum top. They used to have a few budget designs with steel tops as well.
Some of the early designs had steel tops, painted.

Eventually they got nicely cut aluminum with a nice finish, and the bad finishes were sold in black.

The new change is to eliminate the screws on the top and make it easier to assemble.

Sadly, the nice looking aluminum tops are gone, they're painted again. Not cnc but stamped now, still aluminum I think.

New color for silver, so you probably won't match. However, the consistency of the aluminum was not very good from year to year. Still pretty amazing looking gear for those who care about that.

I enjoy having the mini-metal boxes on my desk. I think they look cool.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Some of the early designs had steel tops, painted.

Eventually they got nicely cut aluminum with a nice finish, and the bad finishes were sold in black.

The new change is to eliminate the screws on the top and make it easier to assemble.

Sadly, the nice looking aluminum tops are gone, they're painted again. Not cnc but stamped now, still aluminum I think.

New color for silver, so you probably won't match. However, the consistency of the aluminum was not very good from year to year. Still pretty amazing looking gear for those who care about that.

I enjoy having the mini-metal boxes on my desk. I think they look cool.
Mostly correct! The chassis are now completely made of steel, tops and bottoms. The smalls bends in the chassis require steel as aluminum wouldn't hold up. We also changed the chassis for better ergonomics as well as aesthetics and finish consistency. We actually like how the paint came out. We spent a lot of time trying to get it right.

bboris77

Mostly correct! The chassis are now completely made of steel, tops and bottoms. The smalls bends in the chassis require steel as aluminum wouldn't hold up. We also changed the chassis for better ergonomics as well as aesthetics and finish consistency. We actually like how the paint came out. We spent a lot of time trying to get it right.
That is good to know! I liked the look of the brushed aluminum tops but they were very delicate in terms of scuffs. I’m assuming painted surfaces are a lot more durable. Does this all-steel construction apply only to smaller size products or are medium size products affected too?

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
That is good to know! I liked the look of the brushed aluminum tops but they were very delicate in terms of scuffs. I’m assuming painted surfaces are a lot more durable. Does this all-steel construction apply only to smaller size products or are medium size products affected too?
I biggest problem we had was waste. A considerable amount of the anodized aluminum tops did not live up to our standard. We also saw changes in color during the anodize process. These two problems are resolved by moving to paint. Still looks good, is durable and consistent.

Currently, we are only painting the new style chassis units. The higher end still has the option for the grained aluminum finish.

oblvnnwtnjhn

I received mine over the weekend. Built a system for my office consisting of a Cambridge AXA35, JBL L52's and the Modi+ fed by my Windows 11 PC running Qobuz. I am happy, still breaking in the equipment, maybe at 15hrs now, but for what all the components are and expectations set and met, a great performer for passive and somewhat detailed listening.

Schiit Support has been very responsive with my post sale questions. Supporting an American company, American support. Worth my time and money.

Trell

Major Contributor
Odd configuration you have.

Most people have a dac and preamp/poweramp or integrated amp or receiver (integrated w/tuner).

Sounds like you're doing dac directly into powered speakers? As a consumer? You must be using pro speakers as consumer powered speakers typically have an internal dac.
Quite a few members of this forum are using active pro monitors.

Although my Genelec monitors have digital input (AES) I use the analog input for both of the two desktop setups.

oblvnnwtnjhn

Quite a few members of this forum are using active pro monitors.

Although my Genelec monitors have digital input (AES) I use the analog input for both of the two desktop setups.
I am with you, as former audio engineer, I always liked the powered units and there are some phenomenal options past and present. With the like of Genelec, Dynaudio etc, the amplifier section is matched to the matched speaker sets. Only downside, if a recording is shite, you'll know it quick unless you EQ which may or may not get you somewhere depending on how bad the recording is. Though I suspect as audiophiles, we pursue quality recordings to begin with.

Hearing a master 2" Studer 827 on a Neve J Series through Westlakes....unreal. Albeit not self powered, probably a Hafler. If you want supreme amplification, a friend of mine bought and carries the Linear Power torch. He installed a few of his 2075's in a Nashville Studio: http://linearpower.com/Amplifiers.html

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you new here? I am oddd. Lol. :D
I can literally see you doing a head tilt while asking that. Hysterically laughing at this.

SiR

I'm recently following Schiit DAC's and its reviews and quite interested in it.

Just for clarification, why Schiit DAC's doesn't support Bluetooth .. ?

If this question has been already asked elsewhere, sorry for asking it again but hasn't come across that or seen any answer for it

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I'm recently following Schiit DAC's and its reviews and quite interested in it.

Just for clarification, why Schiit DAC's doesn't support Bluetooth .. ?

If this question has been already asked elsewhere, sorry for asking it again but hasn't come across that or seen any answer for it
The short answer (fully realizing how this response will be received on this forum): we don't like how it sounds.

AaronJ

The short answer (fully realizing how this response will be received on this forum): we don't like how it sounds.
I don't like it either. To me bluetooth's biggest faux pas is that the volume of the device (i.e. phone, tablet) becomes a preamp. That alone ruins the experience for me. It's a juggle I'm not willing to do, period, and it's one of the reasons I continue to stick with Apple's ecosystem. I stream to an old Apple TV and wouldn't even consider a streamer that doesn't have Airplay.

SiR

Thanks for your swift response

In the same way, is there any specific reason to have only one Digital inputs ( Toslink - 1 , Coaxial - 1 )

Most of the DAC manufacturers follow the same

If there are TWO, it could be ideal to attach two devices, like a streamer, CD Transport, TV etc

I'm placed in this doubt how to connect these, if I go for Modi +

Reactions: MCH

SiR

Thanks for your swift response

In the same way, is there any specific reason to have only one Digital inputs ( Toslink - 1 , Coaxial - 1 )

Most of the DAC manufacturers follow the same

If there are TWO, it could be ideal to attach two devices, like a streamer, CD Transport, TV etc

I'm placed in this doubt how to connect these, if I go for Modi +

Can the knowledgeable FM's clarify the above doubt ( Why most of the DAC manufacturers go with one Digital inputs, Toslink - 1 , Coaxial - 1 )
Is there any technical reasons behind it ?

Also, is there any desktop DAC's with two Digital inputs ( Toslink -2 , Coaxial - 2 ) ?

Top Bottom