• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi+ DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 160 59.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 96 35.6%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't use ASIO or Wasapi exclusive where the above is bypassed, those settings are forcing the OS to upsample everything to 384 kHz. Since most content is 44.1 kHz, best approach is to use that sample rate with 32 bit wide samples.
OK. Changed back to 44.1 - Thank you @amirm for the heads up on that recommendation. :D

bboris77

You need fair amount of heft to keep the box in place with the cables dangling from the back of it. If it is too light the cables can tug and cause it to potentially fall on the floor. With a plastic case, it might chip, etc. Since it can be done at such low retail prices, I see no reason to not have it until we move below $100 mar
Agreed 100% with extra heft being essential for headphone amps as one is always adjusting the volume and especially when unplugging headphones. However, aluminum cases are very light, and may not be much heavier than certain types of plastics. Do you know if the current revision of the Modi is made out of steel or aluminum?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with a 24 or 32 bit DAC you will still lose dynamic range if you use digital volume control. A 24 or 32 bit DAC will reduce quantization noise associated with digital volume control but because the analog noise level at the DAC output is constant reducing the signal level will by definition reduce dynamic range. Also important to note that no DAC can actually achieve the equivalent of 24 bit dynamic range as a result of the inherent noise at the DAC output.

Michael
Yes, I probably didn't explain that well enough, given that I don't understand it at the lowest most detailed level. My understanding is that it allows the range & detail of "volume steppings" within the recording to be retained (if that's the right kind of term), although I agree the noise floor remains the same, which is the main limitation with digital volume control.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Plastic cases, not the best for shielding, really.
I have mine 5" from my PC desktop power supply, 2.5" from the AC power bar and no issues. It just does what it is supposed to do. :D No balanced terminations required.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In this case it isn't about the cost. Schiit doesn't support/agrees with the format, just like MQA.
I think they object to the idea you can be forced to pay, it's not the money. But it's not the format itself, it's just that it requires PERMISSION to use.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
To be honest and with all respects, i find metal cases for devices for which they aren't necessary the most overrated feature ever.
Plastics have come a long way since they were perceived as a cheap, ugly and underperforming replacement for metal and if aluminum cases are forcing producers to make compromises in other departments it would be a shame (i don't know if this is the case, just inferred from amir statement). I have the feeling that the preference for metal cases is just a consequence of the average age of the audio hobbyists or an extension of what can be true for amplifiers or other things. My 2c.
So, you object to Schiit responding to market forces by putting a metal case in, versus improving SINAD x db?

I guess you don't understand how markets work.

If Schiit did this, they would sell LESS because DEMAND for this is low, vs. demand for metal case which is relatively HIGHER for most people than a few db sinad.

You value sound. Others value touch and sight.

DACs perform more than a function of translating bits.

MCH

Major Contributor
So, you object to Schiit responding to market forces by putting a metal case in, versus improving SINAD x db?

I guess you don't understand how markets work.

If Schiit did this, they would sell LESS because DEMAND for this is low, vs. demand for metal case which is relatively HIGHER for most people than a few db sinad.

You value sound. Others value touch and sight.

DACs perform more than a function of translating bits.
My comment was exclusively about plastic vs metal.

confucius_zero

So being made in USA and providing customer services gives it 50 bonus sinad performance points over the competition?

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
So being made in USA and providing customer services gives it 50 bonus sinad performance points over the competition?
More or less, though I don't really look at SINAD at all other than ego points. I like having "measurably transparent" equipment gather dust while I roll my tubes.

My Vali 2+ has gotten more time than my Jot 2. Amir reviewed both amplifiers. Guess which has better SINAD? Hint: My Jot earned a rec!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More or less, though I don't really look at SINAD at all other than ego points. I like having "measurably transparent" equipment gather dust while I roll my tubes.

My Vali 2+ has gotten more time than my Jot 2. Amir reviewed both amplifiers. Guess which has better SINAD? Hint: My Jot earned a rec!

Marry those two amps and you get my Magni π amp :)
48D3DE64-4B8D-4CA8-9A24-E184756B3AF2.jpeg

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
While Topping service isn't great, any DAC that doesn't have volume control offers super limited functionality. You may end up spending any savings plus a lot more on a pre-amp. I'm spoiled with the wonderful pre-amp of the RME ADI-2, Flex and D90SE. I can't imagine wanting a DAC without XLR out as my Buckeye amps sound great with them. Buying a DAC without a volume control requires a specialized configuration. Not a useful tool for any of my systems. (If I did need that I would get an $8 Apple USB audio dongle). I'm not sure the consequence of NO volume control is clear in this ASR review or the recommendation?
Odd configuration you have.

Most people have a dac and preamp/poweramp or integrated amp or receiver (integrated w/tuner).

Sounds like you're doing dac directly into powered speakers? As a consumer? You must be using pro speakers as consumer powered speakers typically have an internal dac.

Top Bottom