• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi 3+ vs Topping E30 vs SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II

rpala

Starting low budget in the HiFi world.
I want to buy an entry level DAC, about 100 dollars, with usb, S/PDIF & Toslink Inputs.
Important note: Will mainly use the USB input most of the time.

I want to upgrade from feeding Tidal tracks from my MacBook Pro headphones output to my set.
I currently have an old Harman Kardon AVR 40 that I use as a stereo amp & recently bought a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speakers.
Which of these DACs may be pair to sound better with this set.

Appreciate your comments & suggestions.

OP
rpala

rpala

Wichever has the features and looks you find most appealing.
I like to privilege sound over looks and extra features. Would even consider the ATOM DAC without S/PDIF & Toslink Inputs.
Wanted to connect the S/PDIF input from an Old Sony CD player with 96kHz/24 bit Linear PCM output. Don't know if that will really help the sound, instead of connecting directly to the amp with the RCA (This sony cd player has a 192kHZ/16bit audio DAC).

I like more the looks of the Topping, but the 1 year warranty (Reading about the quality issues they have) vs the 2 years of Shiit make me think a bit.

The Elacs has a "transparent" sound profile. Hear some reviews telling the Schiit Modi 3+ produces a more meatier sound and Topping E30 a more detail sound. Don't know if it would be better to match with a more meatier sound or detail sound could produce a more dull sound in the Elacs?

I am in Mexico, so ordering and returning the product to try both is out of the question.

ctakim

Forum Donor
I have the Schiit Modi 3+ and the Topping D10s. No sound difference to my ears feeding them Roon/Qobuz via a USB connection. I've tested them using a Loxjie A30 amp (which also has its own built in DAC). I like the look of the D10s with the orange digital readout of the signal sampling rate over the plain silver box of the Modi. Also, one is USA made and the other comes from China, if that matters at all to you.

OP
rpala

rpala

Loxije D30.;)

Nice recommendation eventually the headphone amp might be useful and the filter feature seems interesting.
Also liked the looks.

There's no product availability now due to raw material inputs and don't know about sending it to Mexico, some products can be sent in Amazon or from the manufacturer. Seems would be worth to wait and see.

Thanks.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Elacs has a "transparent" sound profile. Hear some reviews telling the Schiit Modi 3+ produces a more meatier sound and Topping E30 a more detail sound. Don't know if it would be better to match with a more meatier sound or detail sound could produce a more dull sound in the Elacs?
Those reviews are nonsense - Modi 3 and E30 are both transparent DACs meaning whatever noise and distortion they introduce into their analog output is below the threshold of human audibility. They sound the same, i.e, they don't sound like anything.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hear some reviews telling the Schiit Modi 3+ produces a more meatier sound and Topping E30 a more detail sound. Don't know if it would be better to match with a more meatier sound or detail sound could produce a more dull sound in the Elacs?
My bad, I forgot at first: Welcome!

My first answer wasn't some joke. But I should have cared to explain: All three have been measured here and data says that any would sound the same. Which will most likely happen with any good DACs these days. You can read many things in mainstream reviews, but rarely something relevant (or "true", whatsoever). ASR is about kind of an "objectivist" approach of Audio. This approach tells (proves) that beyond a certain level of performance, all DAC will sound the same, because their faults are measurable below absolute thresholds of hearing. That's about it.

For these reasons, "pairing" a DAC with a speaker will clearly not be a popular concept here.;)
The recommandation you're seeking for "sound synergy" will be unlikely to happen.

What @Vini darko said: go by your needs or requirements (warranty, aesthetics, features, place of manufacture, etc)

Last edited:
OP
rpala

rpala

My bad, I forgot at first: Welcome!

My first answer wasn't some joke. But I should have cared to explain: All three have been measured here and data says that any would sound the same. Which will most likely happen with any good DACs these days. You can read many things in mainstream reviews, but rarely something relevant (or "true", whatsoever). ASR is about kind of an "objectivist" approach of Audio. This approach tells (proves) that beyond a certain level of performance, all DAC will sound the same, because their faults are measurable below absolute thresholds of hearing. That's about it.

For these reasons, "pairing" a DAC with a speaker will clearly not be a popular concept here.;)
The recommandation you're seeking for "sound synergy" will be unlikely to happen.

What @Vini darko said: go by your needs or requirements (warranty, aesthetics, features, place of manufacture, etc)
:D
Thanks @VintageFlanker appreciate the detail comments.
Helps a lot with the peace of mind and to get a better perspective.

Thinking I will go with the recommendation of @Zek about the Loxjie D30 (Review). The headphone amp and filters seems like nice extra features that complement my needs.

At the beginning I wanted to buy the Zen DAC, because of the MQA compatibility, but starting to read about some problems and the not so good quality compared to this list of DACs. Seems to me that going for a DAC with MQA support (Because I use Tidal Master) & good quality seems too costy now days. Not a good investment. Perhaps in the future the tech will become cheeper like everything in this market.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome!

If you don't need the headphone functionality I'd recommend the Modi3+. I own one and it's a great DAC (I own a Topping too). Honestly any on your list (and the (Loxjie) will be just fine and I am quite certain you won't hear any SQ difference between them.

OP
rpala

rpala

I have the Schiit Modi 3+ and the Topping D10s. No sound difference to my ears feeding them Roon/Qobuz via a USB connection. I've tested them using a Loxjie A30 amp (which also has its own built in DAC). I like the look of the D10s with the orange digital readout of the signal sampling rate over the plain silver box of the Modi. Also, one is USA made and the other comes from China, if that matters at all to you.

Appreciate the comments sound difference was one of my main concerns.

Thanks

KR500

Better late than never to the post.
I purchased the Schitt Bifrost a bit over a decade ago and upgraded it to the Uber and USB board upgrades.
Later I purchased the Schmitt Modi 3 which is a great product although is a tad less than the Bifrost in listening.
Then I purchased the Topping D30 DAC because of Amir and this wonderful web site for us all to look at.
I really appreciate what Amir brings to the table including not only measurements, but construction, safety,components,ease of use etc.
Using both manufacturer’s DAC’s with a A/B switcher and several different Beyerdynamic headphones, Headphone amp with an ART stereo 31 band graphic EQ, then also an Onkyo CD transport and NAD 316 BEE ver. 2 amplifier in my listening room with SEAS Prestige floorstanders ……my dos centavos are that there are distinct differences.
The Topping DAC is more resolving than the Schitt with a lean bass,or minimal body,depending on recording source.
The Schitt is less resolving,but with more fullness or body and edges seem rounded off, to me the remaining issues are if your listening room or speakers are at the bright or dark edge. My Seas speakers have tremendous mids and treble, accurate but lean bass. Over extended listening the Topping might be fatiguing ?
We just moved to a new house and my listening room has changed quite a bit so I am working this issue out at present with these 2 DAC sound signatures. I also used the DAC’s with my ELAC 6.2 speakers

Last edited:

Mowz

Starting low budget in the HiFi world.
I want to buy an entry level DAC, about 100 dollars, with usb, S/PDIF & Toslink Inputs.
Important note: Will mainly use the USB input most of the time.

I want to upgrade from feeding Tidal tracks from my MacBook Pro headphones output to my set.
I currently have an old Harman Kardon AVR 40 that I use as a stereo amp & recently bought a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speakers.
Which of these DACs may be pair to sound better with this set.

Appreciate your comments & suggestions.
Welcome! Nobody can tell the difference between these in a blind test (I have tested modi vs bifrost and rme adi 2 this way and cannot tell a difference) so whichever allows the best feature looks and return policy for the price.

KR500

Thanks Mowz.
Source is a red book CD, I stream lossless Apple Music files when I want to preview new things or shuffle listen but generally prefer compact disc.
I used the 1996 20 bit Columbia Byrds remaster of “Mr. Tambourine Man” for a/b ing the DAC’s for the quality of the recording, McGuinn’s compressed 12 string Rickenbacker, the Wrecking Crew’s accompaniment, and the lead and vocal harmonies.
YMMV

Last edited:
Top Bottom