• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Mani LDS Power Supply Question

Hi, i've been using the Schiit Mani with my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO for about a year now and was curious about some threads I came across on other sites. I read that if you upgrade the provided Wall Wart to an LDS, say one of those Chinese versions you see on eBay or other sites for about $100, would that actually improve the sound coming from the record player? Would it simply amplify the signal? It's going into a Schiit Saga+ preamp. Or would it simply make the signal...cleaner, potentially to the point of actually hearing the difference by ear. I mean if you can't hear the difference then well, what's the point right? Any ways, i was hoping someone on here could answer that question, thanks.

cicastol

Hi,
i have the Debut Carbon Evo and found the stock wall wart really bad, mine has a current leakage through the ground wire.
Attaching and detaching the ground wire to the phono ( Alva Duo) make a little spark visible in darkness and little electric shock if touching with the finger, without ground wire attached huge hum noise is generated.
I tried a low noise linear lab power supply (Agilent 8002a) and no more leakage current to the ground wire, also with no ground wire connected to the phono stage only a little hum noise is audible.

With ground wire attached either the linear lab power supply and the stock wall wart were silent with no hum generated, but the current leakage was a concern for me so i've taken another wall wart with better specs, this one:

Top Bottom