• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Mani 2 Review (Phono Stage)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 92 52.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 55 31.6%

• Total voters

knownothing

It would be nice to know how it compared to the Audiolab's built-in phono.
Sorry for long delay in responding. In short, it sounds great. The Mani 2 has more detail, better dynamics, better space and pace than the built in phono section on the Audiolab. At least pairing with Nagaoka MP110.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for long delay in responding. In short, it sounds great. The Mani 2 has more detail, better dynamics, better space and pace than the built in phono section on the Audiolab. At least pairing with Nagaoka MP110.

Ummm, exactly (or approximately) how much better is the space and pace? Is there enough space to allow for all the pace, or is the pace spatially restricted?

And how much more detail and dynamics are there? Do dynamics overshadow detail, or is it the other way around? Would you say it is dynamically detailed, or detailingly dynamic? Or are the two pretty much balanced?

These are important things to know, before asking anyone to pony up one hundred and forty-nine dollars. Help is appreciated.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ummm, exactly (or approximately) how much better is the space and pace? Is there enough space to allow for all the pace, or is the pace spatially restricted?

And how much more detail and dynamics are there? Do dynamics overshadow detail, or is it the other way around? Would you say it is dynamically detailed, or detailingly dynamic? Or are the two pretty much balanced?

These are important things to know, before asking anyone to pony up one hundred and forty-nine dollars. Help is appreciated.
Let's just say for $149, he likes it better! That's a little less than 4 new BN Tone Poets, by my reckoning.

knownothing

I suggest you might try the iFi Power X. Nearly as expensive as the Mani 2, but I and others have had good results with it in multiple applications.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the photo of the back of the unit. Says AC in. You typically would think all barrel connectors are DC in but you have to be careful. Usually it is marked like it is with the Mani.
Yeah, AC doesn’t automatically mean Main 120-240V AC line in.

hutt132

Just got my Mani 2 today and compared it to my original Mani 1 with a decibel meter to compare the background noise they produce.
Using my Teac TN-400S turntable with AT100E cartridge, both pre-amps are in their original configuration (gain input H/output L) which matches the cartridge.
Using a Monoprice 1.5ft RCA cable from the turntable to the pre-amp.

With the turntable off and AV receiver on full volume, the Mani 2 produced 3db less noise from my speaker's tweeter than the Mani 1.
Both were using the Mani 2's 16V 1000mA power supply. This was a direct swap so the cable runs did not move. The units were not stacked during testing.
That's a significant improvement in noise in my opinion.

IMG_5490.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

narud

the mani 2 was a huge disappointment for me. it may be more quiet than the 1, but it still produced more hiss than every other phono pre that i have (clearaudio nano, emotiva xps-1, art dj pre). the capacitance settings were a bust as well. i bought it purely for the 47pf setting which i thought would mate well audio technica carts. it ended up being brighter at the 47pf setting than the clearaudio nano with its 220pf. id be interested in seeing the mani 2 tested for how much capacitance is actually in the circuit.

I have heard of this from other, never had that at all here. For what it's worth tough, Most people I know in my city can get like 5 TV channels out of an Antenna... In my building I get one... So I may not be the average.
What cables are you running Petel?

Super shielded and separate (dual not bound together with the Y at each ends) should help the problem.

I had similar issues with my original Mani. Mostly solved with cable upgrade! Same can be said of M2 to a degree even with cable upgrade there is some very minor interference present at higher gain levels.

Have not used other pre-amps so i can't provide a comparison. Cables > WBC Amphenol from Phono to Mani 2 > Chord Clearway Analogues > AVR

Note the WBCs are about 1/3rd the cost of the Chords and IMHO are as good if not better both interference wise and sonically. The Chord's ABS outer shell is already breaking down (sticky) with a little bit of sun exposure which i will eventually replace with a second set of the WBCs. Amazing value on those vs shielding/acoustic outcomes.

the mani 2 was a huge disappointment for me. it may be more quiet than the 1, but it still produced more hiss than every other phono pre that i have (clearaudio nano, emotiva xps-1, art dj pre). the capacitance settings were a bust as well. i bought it purely for the 47pf setting which i thought would mate well audio technica carts. it ended up being brighter at the 47pf setting than the clearaudio nano with its 220pf. id be interested in seeing the mani 2 tested for how much capacitance is actually in the circuit.
Narud i am not experiencing that at all. Just a little more clarity at high end. I upgraded my cartridge recently to the Nagaoka MP200 though, about the same time as i switched to the M2 so that might explain things a little.

Am hearing elements of old LPs (well used) that i hadn't noticed previously as well as superb spacing, broad sound stage, bass response is excellent, voices are clear without being harsh. Brass etc is a little bright but certainly not harsh and a slight step up from the M1 imv. Yes there is slight brightness at the top end but i would think that's more to do with the speakers (it's tweeters are known for that a little)

Having said that i've only been through about 12 LPs since i upgraded to the M2 (plus new cables at the Phono > pre-amp stage) so much more listening / running in ahead before being able to fully compare the two units.

PeteL

Major Contributor
What cables are you running Petel?

Super shielded and separate (dual not bound together with the Y at each ends) should help the problem.

I had similar issues with my original Mani. Mostly solved with cable upgrade! Same can be said of M2 to a degree even with cable upgrade there is some very minor interference present at higher gain levels.

Have not used other pre-amps so i can't provide a comparison. Cables > WBC Amphenol from Phono to Mani 2 > Chord Clearway Analogues > AVR

Note the WBCs are about 1/3rd the cost of the Chords and IMHO are as good if not better both interference wise and sonically. The Chord's ABS outer shell is already breaking down (sticky) with a little bit of sun exposure which i will eventually replace with a second set of the WBCs. Amazing value on those vs shielding/acoustic outcomes.
I use BJC but I think that you may be answering to someone else. As I said I personally don't have that issue.

I tried 2 of the Mani 1s and both exhibited radio interference in my system. A local station would come through no matter what volume I had my preamp at. Only phono preamp I've owned that did this, through 2 samples. Has anyone else had this experience with the original Mani and could any fixes in v2 address this issue?
Same but new intorconnects pretty much solved it.

Then went Mani 2 FTW. Noise floor is slightly better, virtually zero interference (the new wal wart probably helped also) and the overall performance is spectacular for the price point (provided you match up with a very decent warmish to neutral cart!)

Nice review, thanks. I bought a Mani 2 for a family member to bypass the built in phono pre in their Audiolab 6000A integrated which is just so so (the only thing so so about it). I just plugged it in at home to test it in my system.

First off, the Mani 2 power supply is dead silent. Connected to the pre with power on, or with the pre power off. Nothing. No hum coming out of the power supply. With the turntable idle but the preamp on, I start to hear a little noise through the speakers at 3/4 volume. Unremarkable, in a good way. Playing music at normal listing levels there is no noticeable noise at all. I have the Mani 2 power supply plugged into a power strip with a Shunyata Venom Defender power conditioner which has zapped any noise associated with some notoriously buzzy cartridges, fwiw. If I plug the Mani 2 PS directly into a wall socket in the same circuit with a dimmer light switch, there is a VERY SMALL amount of hum audible, but only if I put my ear right on it. Again, unremarkable, and why my rig is on a dedicated circuit.

How does the Mani 2 sound? Right out of the box stone cold, it sounds good. Paired with a AudioTechnica AT 150Sa MM cartridge, the Mani 2 sounds fast, detailed, decent sound stage between the speakers, and capable of very deep and accurate bass, startlingly good bass (with no filters in). It doesn’t quite have the intoxicating midrange of the Project Tube Box DS with Genalex Gold Lion tubes and an aftermarket linear power supply that I am used to, but in other ways it is better. The Mani 2 is just providing the facts, and a lot of good facts at that. For $149, what’s not to like? Well played Schiit Audio.
Happy to second your description of the sound in the last para.

The sound jumps at you and comes alive. it feels real and palpable. The clarity yet punchiness of massive bass movements is particularly pleasing. No muddiness at all.

The result is quite ethereal vs the in built phono stage of my turntable. Vinyl really comes to life.

I have added a very good cart and upgraded the two sets of cables plus running a PB3000 in closed port mode is handy. So i guess in the end the outcome is the sum of all parts. But the M2 is a big winner for the price point imv.

Hats off to Schiit for listening to some of the critiques and improving on the M1

Top Bottom