• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Mani 2 Review (Phono Stage)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 92 52.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 55 31.6%

• Total voters

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Thanks

Yes, I wish there were a storefront being as close as I am. My buddy (he’s in DFW area) ordered a Lokius and said there was a delay on delivery but maybe because he’s wanting the black version.
We are always trying to get stuff out as quickly as we can.

Tell your friend we appreciate his patience.

PeteL

Major Contributor
BJC uses LC-1 coax typically for analog RCA, but these are likely other Belden cables since the Canare plugs are affixed with orange boots. These are probably Belden 1505F coax since it's more flexible and more durable for lots of plugging and unplugging cycles. Completely fine for short runs of analog, too. I have this same cable type.

Yeah I do use them too, good cables. Thanks for correcting me about the "analog" ones, for some reason I didn't think they used coax but it does make some sense. I am always happy to be wrong, it's important to straighten up the facts and not let disinformation slip. I stand corrected.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I do use them too, good cables. Thanks for correcting me about the "analog" ones, for some reason I didn't think they used coax but it does make some sense. I am always happy to be wrong, it's important to straighten up the facts and not let disinformation slip. I stand corrected.
No worries. We’re all here to share and get the most accurate information we can find.

Reactions: EJ3

MarkWilliams

This review is fascinating, thank you, and I hope to see it updated with the replacement power supply. I have used a Mani for close to three years, first to improve record playback quality over the 1960s McIntosh receiver I had. I was impressed enough with the design and build of the little thing that I eventually sold the Mac1500 and spent the dough on a Freya+ and Vidar, so the old Mani now sounds even better. I will be ordering the Mani 2 in the next month or so.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, thank you to you and Schiit making this revisit possible.
I didn’t really do anything but ask the question.
I have a Mani (1) and don’t have any complaints but was going to buy the Cambridge Duo since it seemed to measure better.
Being that the new Mani 2 might measure just as good or better means that getting something US made (Texas even) and can get it in black would be a good choice for me.

My vinyl playing is very limited but some nostalgia and curiousness makes it something I enjoy at times.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks

Yes, I wish there were a storefront being as close as I am. My buddy (he’s in DFW area) ordered a Lokius and said there was a delay on delivery but maybe because he’s wanting the black version.
Perhaps Schiit needs a Modi/Mani vending machine outside the office...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This review is fascinating, thank you, and I hope to see it updated with the replacement power supply. I have used a Mani for close to three years, first to improve record playback quality over the 1960s McIntosh receiver I had. I was impressed enough with the design and build of the little thing that I eventually sold the Mac1500 and spent the dough on a Freya+ and Vidar, so the old Mani now sounds even better. I will be ordering the Mani 2 in the next month or so.
I can completely see how the Schiit stack could be an improvement on the 1960's Mac 1500. It warms my heart to hear how you improved your sound quality and some other audiophile gained a treasured collectable! Made me wonder more about how the Mani improved the playback with the Mac 1500.

MarkWilliams

I can completely see how the Schiit stack could be an improvement on the 1960's Mac 1500. It warms my heart to hear how you improved your sound quality and some other audiophile gained a treasured collectable! Made me wonder more about how the Mani improved the playback with the Mac 1500.

Thanks, the Mac1500 is a hybrid design, largely based on the MA230 integrated amp. Both use the 7591 output tubes (a favorite of mine) and also used discrete transistors in the phono preamp. I had heard that the phono section could be improved with some component changes but I was trying to keep it stock. The playback quality for LPs didn't suck but was sort of polite and not very punchy. The original Mani got some good reviews and I bought a B-stock for a hundred bucks and hooked it up. The 42dB gain setting through the tape monitor input (just a line input) was close to the onboard phono section gain. To make a long story shorter, the Mani sounded immensely better. I thought it was also well engineered and began looking more carefully at the other products from Schiit and now here I am. A Japanese collector is enjoying the Mac1500 and I am enjoying a Freya+ and Vidar along with the old Mani. I plan to order the new Mani 2 asap!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the mail yesterday, I saw that @Kal Rubinson reviewed the Freya+ in the April 2022 issue of Stereophile Magazine. From that review, it's easy to see how the move from Mac1500 to Schiit produced such great results!

Last edited:

MarkWilliams

The output stage of the Mac1500 was the best part and it sounded great, although plump and rich in that low-damping-factor tube way. I was ready for something modern that would still retain an element of tubes. The Vidar has remarkable control on the low end and the Freya+ is excellent. The Freya+ took many months to sound right, partly because I usually listen for just a couple of hours at a time and not even every day. After those several months, I noticed that the tube stage low end was vastly better and I finally really loved the sound of the system.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ditto x3 ... I ditched a Pioneer 70's era integrated amplifier ... rolling some C3G pentodes into the Freya as soon as I get some adapters. It's a really hot setup for Florida though. I put it all away in the summer and go class D.

Guerilla

Just sometimes people Sell their not newest stuff cheap just to get rid of it. I can always Hope
Cheers!

MarkWilliams

OK, I would still like to see the updated Mani 2 review because I like the Audio Science Review detailed approach. BUT, I went ahead and ordered the Mani 2 and expect it in a couple of days. It looks like they have stock on it so no delays. Looking forward to hearing it!

Top Bottom